• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running into the rev limiter

21GT

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
21 Ltx-gt
Hey Everyone I've finally put some miles on my sidewinder it has the hurricane stock muffler bundle up to 270 and full thunder products clutching set up by them and 192 studs. My problem is if I pin it from a stop on 240 or 270 the track spins and I hit 9300 rpm on the Tach and and it pops and drops down to 8900 but I never notice any knock lights. If I roll into the throttle and get up to speed I hit 8950 9000 and doesn't seem to pop or break up. The gauge says I'm hitting 16.7lbs of boost also. So far I've tried TP 33/35 helix and orange spring wrapped 1/3 and 2/3 and now I have heavy hitters orange primary spring straight 35 helix with dalton B/O wrapped at 6/2 and getting the same results but with less clutch heat. My question is what is the rev limiter at on these tunes? And any input on what I should do to keep the holeshot rpms in check?

I've never hit the limiter unless I've blown a belt, then the logs say the rev limiter is up at 9990 area. I've run the engine up over 9400 before with no problem on the performance muffler tunes.

Does not sound like the kit is dialed for the tune to me. I'd be calling TP. Myself, I'd be using more starting helix like a 39-35 or a 41-37 something like that, but I use Daltons not the TP weights.

Alright ill give them another call. I do notice my top speed is not what I think it should be as well. Most I have seen is 108 and it doesn't seem like it has much more. Would the helix you suggested help with that as well? I have the Dalton weights from when I bought the bundle from hurricane but forgot to bring them with me. Maybe I will swap them and try it also. If I decide to go that route with the Dalton weights what primary spring would you run?

If the sled over revs quickly, the rev limiter will trip at 9400. If rpm creeps up slowly, it won't trip it. I've spun mine over 9800 while testing various setups.

Ive run the same bundle and a Dalton 41/35 with black/orange secondary and it will bring your rpms where they should be. I've got a couple laying around, send me a pm if you want one at a discount.

I have the same tune set up running all Dalton clutching springs helix and weights set at 75g on 270hp rpm is perfect 8850 and just under 17psi of boost have seen 112 mph on a very short pull and it was still pulling vary hard. Just got the sled this year only ran it a few times but it seems awesome

I have the same tune set up running all Dalton clutching springs helix and weights set at 75g on 270hp rpm is perfect 8850 and just under 17psi of boost have seen 112 mph on a very short pull and it was still pulling vary hard. Just got the sled this year only ran it a few times but it seems awesome
What helix and secondary spring are you running with your set up?

Hey Everyone I've finally put some miles on my sidewinder it has the hurricane stock muffler bundle up to 270 and full thunder products clutching set up by them and 192 studs. My problem is if I pin it from a stop on 240 or 270 the track spins and I hit 9300 rpm on the Tach and and it pops and drops down to 8900 but I never notice any knock lights. If I roll into the throttle and get up to speed I hit 8950 9000 and doesn't seem to pop or break up. The gauge says I'm hitting 16.7lbs of boost also. So far I've tried TP 33/35 helix and orange spring wrapped 1/3 and 2/3 and now I have heavy hitters orange primary spring straight 35 helix with dalton B/O wrapped at 6/2 and getting the same results but with less clutch heat. My question is what is the rev limiter at on these tunes? And any input on what I should do to keep the holeshot rpms in check?
What weight do you have where on your hitters? I prefer most of the weight to be on the tip and heel of the HH weights.. Not saying all the weight but I only run .9 grams in the middle hole and on my 2017 with a different helix then your running I ran No weight in the middle hole. The heels are loaded max.

What weight do you have where on your hitters? I prefer most of the weight to be on the tip and heel of the HH weights.. Not saying all the weight but I only run .9 grams in the middle hole and on my 2017 with a different helix then your running I ran No weight in the middle hole. The heels are loaded max.
I'm not sure what the weight is exactly yet because I haven't had a chance to check them. By
I cant remember exactly where and what weight is on them. Thunder set them up for my hurricane tunes and I just installed them. I'm gonna take a look at them and see where the weight is at. I have the Daltons new in the box also set up from hurricane and have been contiplating just installing those with a 41/35 helix I got from Fleecer and the black/orange spring at 6/2. But I think im gonna try the 41/35 with the thunder weights first and see if that gets the holeshot in check. Otherwise as is If I roll into it on 270 I see 8950 to 9100 rpm and never run into the rev limiter. Only on the dead stop holeshot. By moving the weight around on the primary will that change both peak rpm in the holeshot and top speed rpm?

I'm not sure what the weight is exactly yet because I haven't had a chance to check them. By

I cant remember exactly where and what weight is on them. Thunder set them up for my hurricane tunes and I just installed them. I'm gonna take a look at them and see where the weight is at. I have the Daltons new in the box also set up from hurricane and have been contiplating just installing those with a 41/35 helix I got from Fleecer and the black/orange spring at 6/2. But I think im gonna try the 41/35 with the thunder weights first and see if that gets the holeshot in check. Otherwise as is If I roll into it on 270 I see 8950 to 9100 rpm and never run into the rev limiter. Only on the dead stop holeshot. By moving the weight around on the primary will that change both peak rpm in the holeshot and top speed rpm?
Makes a huge difference where the weight is on these HH weights.. Only thing is I run STRAIGHT helixes so the way I place the weight MAY not translate to the helix your using.. I was really surprised when I went to a 38 from a 45 how little needed to be changed with total weight and spring pressure.. Im almost right back to my setting on the straight 38 on the 2022 as I was on the 2017 with the straight 45.

The dead stop hole shot is almost impossible to not get a slight over rev. Even with tons of studs its going to spin and rev to fast.

Last edited:

If you are bumping the rev limiter on hard take off, you can add weight to hole position number 2 (mid position of weight).

Hurricane and most tunes are set rev limiter at 9,500-9,600 which your clutch setup would have been setup perfectly as ordered. If you are hitting the rev limiter at 9,300....something is not right there.

Your profile shows you have a 21 LTX GT which I can say you aren't getting good transfer which is why you are spinning so much.

You can call us anytime with questions about our products. We are here to help. Don't go to social media as the few that don't run our products will always try to put us down as they don't like coming in second......

Last edited:

Back