• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I'm getting Nervous

Herky1

I really wanted to buy a Nytro untill i started reading about all the issues with bent subframes and a arms. Are they bending where other sleds might not have bent from the same type of impact, or are they just really that weak. I ride about 90% unmarkedditch and hit things once and a while but hasn't been a problem with my current sled.

Honestly, I think you'd be pressing your luck riding a Nytro in unmarked ditches...a prime locale for an off kilter hit to the A arms/skis/spindles. Surveying pins, culverts, rocks, posts, etc. all can wreak havoc with any sled, however the Nytro subframe is more susceptible than others, and that is a fact.

It wouldn't be a matter of if you'll bend something, but a matter of when.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but a realist.

I have over 8000km on my 08 . Nothing bent or busted except for 1set lower ball joints. Lots of tinkering and a few items need to be improved(skis for one) to get sled up to speed. If you're not afraid of working on your own sled and have some mechanical ability, don't worry, you'll be happy with a Nytro. Just remember , its a different kind of sled than your used to and might take awhile to fall in luv. Stick with this sight and enjoy the experience.JMO. :Rockon:

I have 3800 miles on my 09 I have hit things hard been thrown off because I have hit things so hard NOTHING BENT, a very good friend that I ride 1000 miles a year with he made it 950 miles this year and hit a hump in the trail and bent his sub frame and A arm, but I went over the same hump and did not bend anything. It all has to do with how you hit it. (He bought a Nytro because I had such good luck).

I ditch pound and have bent two frames in two years. I just kept running the last frame I bent (have over 1400km on the last bent frame)...

I wouldnt even consider it without a good ski plate and a arm protectors...

Grimm said:
Honestly, I think you'd be pressing your luck riding a Nytro in unmarked ditches...a prime locale for an off kilter hit to the A arms/skis/spindles. Surveying pins, culverts, rocks, posts, etc. all can wreak havoc with any sled, however the Nytro subframe is more susceptible than others, and that is a fact.

It wouldn't be a matter of if you'll bend something, but a matter of when.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but a realist.

That's crap.... The XP's and REV's all had flying Nun or frame problems..... My dealer has sold a ton of Nytro's and none have been back for subframes. Even if they do bend, it's not hard to fix.... The internet definitely blows the issue out of proportion. Yes, the 08's had problems with the sub-frames, but the 09 and 10's are fine. If you are bending them you are hitting something...

sj said:
I wouldnt even consider it without a good ski plate and a arm protectors...

exactly.... a little more protection if all you do is run fields and ditches and it should be fine..

I Feel a little better, I Think, I usually do all my own wrenching so changing one out shouldn't be a problem,but how much does a subframe cost if i would twist one? I always put skid plates on all my sleds but never have used a arm protectors,Do you just get these from yamaha or are the from a aftermarket company?

SledFreak said:
If you are bending them you are hitting something...

We all hit something eventually, but small mishaps shouldn't bend a thing. What I'm saying is that today's sleds, with all the technology, superior manufacturing techniques, alloys, and high tech designs, these subframes shouldn't be bending that easily when bumping (I'm not talking crashing here) into something, be it a Rev or Nytro. These are rough trail sleds, not baby carriages. They should be built tougher. My Vector's (trail sled) front suspension was much stronger and took more hits than my Nytro (marketed as an extreme terrain sled when it came out) ever did, and never bent or went out of alignment. My 09 did though, at less than a few mph.

While Yamaha has strengthened the subframes for 09 and again in 2010, imo, it should still be stronger. 3 different subframes in 3 model years, I think that speaks volumes, don't you? Maybe the 2011 models are coming out with a stronger subframe, we'll see. I do hope that Yamaha has learned some lessons enough to do it right next time when they release the Nytro's replacement "Extreme Terrain" sled.

I will say this though, the Rev XP's front suspension "nun" or frame would scare me even more than the Nytro's.

I will say this though, the Rev XP's front suspension "nun" or frame would scare me even more than the Nytro's.[/quote]

Now i'm really bumbed out as the xp was also high on my list for my new ride next year.Looks like i'm gonna have to get the quarter out and flip it.

Every sled has their pluses and minuses...there is no perfect sled.

The best thing to do is see if you can test ride a sled you're interested in before deciding.

I dont think the xp or the nytro bending issues are as bad as they sound when reading online. Most of the time you only hear about the bad stuff online. And a bulk head for a nytro is only like 400 bucks and easy to do from the looks of it. If you do bend one just bend it back and keep riding...at the end of the season take it out and make it stronger or make the new one stronger. Not that big of a deal.

I don't know anything about the xp problem, other than they have supposedly been making them better, and the aftermarket has been making lots of braces and reinforcements that seem to work. I'll know more next year when I have my own.

Don't worry about it. Mines slightly tweaked and its fine. As long as the welds arent broke your good to go. They do bend easily though. Our group has 4 nytros with three frames changed in the last 2 seasons. We all quit changing them out when they bent and have had zero issues. (Little bit of darting is all)

Just keep your eye on all the front arm and spindle bolts, re-torque when required.

Back