• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Impressed with Phazer

iahacker

VIP Member
I bought a low mileage 2009 Phazer RTX last season for my grandson to ride thinking they weren't very powerful and maybe 60 mph. After having it for two seasons now I really like this sled.
Snow-Tech or Yamaha Bash-tech or Ski-doo-Tech...whatever you want to call them; had an article calling the Phazer a high strung, twitchy under powered sled with sub-par ride quality. After riding it that is far from my experience. They've harped for years about an entry level 80 to 100 hp sled. What more could they ask for?
Only mods are a steering tightening kit and Tuner skis. This is a great starter sled: Tracks well, RTX suspension very fun to ride in ditches and to my surprise can hit 80+ mph.
In January Left my Apex in the trailer for the day and rode 130 miles of trail north of Duluth and had no trouble running with my son on his Nytro.
I had only rode a Phazer GT once before at a demo Ride back in 2009 and thought at the time it was a joke. I,m sure impressed with the RTX version now!

I also agree I have a 09 phazer rtx extended to 144 and I would rather drive it than my rx1 warrior.

I have an 07 GT with a 1.5 Freerde track and its the only sled that puts a smile on my face. Prefer riding it over my 2015 Renegade 900 Ace.

It's the "active riding required" that gives it bad reviews (and the looks). The harder I push the Phazer the better machine it becomes. It handles poorly if you just sit back and steer but has enough power to run with faster sleds with ease as long as you stay off Lakes and Railbeds. Even then, I can't imagine an ~80hp 2 stroke being able to run miles on end at WOT crossing lakes like I've done with the Phazer, mine hits 84mph on the speedo at the rev limiter (76-77 GPS) and I can actually back off the throttle a hair to maintain it. Imagine a "refreshed" version that's 30-40# lighter with and aluminum front frame and nytro race geometry along with lighter "Cat like" skids. My Phazer 144 skid is 21# heavier than my Viper XTX skid.

once the 09 rtx that kirkswim speaks of was extended to 144", it got very comfortble to ride all day. rode it for 2 days on a ty ride leading a crew around. the biggest improvement was the 1.5" lug track as it always had too much torque for the stock track. i love riding it when riding with slower riders as i play and have fun riding it. it is one of my favorite sleds to ride.

I did put 96 studs in the track because we mainly ride the local river so, don't want to be without them. The stock 1" ripsaw isn't enough traction and would be better with maybe a 1-1/4" ripsaw or even a Cobra.
Still lots of fun on hard pack with the studs. The handling is surprisingly good too everywhere I've rode it. On the trails it's fun to keep on the throttle longer...on my Apex or SRX I can barely hit the gas before hitting the next corner.

Back