• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Increased oil consumption with amsoil.

1xr

Expert
Iknow rx1's use oil, but since I switched over to amsoil at 2100 miles the amount seems to be increasing. The first 2100 miles I don't think it burnt 1 quart total. In 900 miles with amsoil I'm into the scond quart. One weekend 350 miles left full and the oil light came on. Does anyone with amsoil getting results like this?

I have rode over 500 miles on bolth warriors with ams-oil and have not had to add any yet.

I will check mine but i expect it to be a little low because i tipped it up on it's side for a few minutes and i am sure some drained into the airbox.

Justin

Last year I switched over to 0w-40 at about 500 miles with no issues at all. You might want to call amsoils tech line and speak to someone about it; (715) 392-3097

You might be overfilling you system.
Yamaha has released specific instructions on filling and checking your oil.
When you do an oil change you should put in exactly 3 quarts with a filter change NO MORE.

When you check they recommend you run the engine at least 10 minutes preferably driving it, park on level ground, shut the engine off, pull the dipstick wipe clean, reinsert WITHOUT SCREWING IT IN, pull out and read stick, Yamaha wants it in the center of the low and high mark.

Hope this helps.

1xr,

The RX-1 motor is strange. I ran Yamilube all last year for 3200 miles before switching over to Amsoil this year. From 0-1500 miles I had zero oil consumption. From 1500 2700 I burned oil (1 qt for 500 miles) from 2700 - 3200 about 1/2 qt for 500 miles. Now that I have switched to Amsoil, I am still on full after 500 miles this season. The motor breaks in different for everyone...

Man i wouldent even bitch if all you use is one qt.in 400,try 1 in 112 miles. :cry:

Switched to Amsoil at 1100mi. Have not used any oil before or since.

I have over 300mi. since the turbo install, (lots of WOT 8) ) level has not moved.

Mine now burns a quart every 400 miles with amsoil. From the first oil change at 400 to 2100 when I started with the amsoil, It burnt maybe a quart. Now after 1000 miles with the stuff I think I will change to something thicker, but what?

Well maybe 5-30 that is what they recomend. When I check the oil it is thin when it is hot about the same thickness as wd-40. I also took some of the amsoil an freezed it to around 0 degrees. I tried to pour it into the engine frozen, it's very thick. 0-40 seems to be wicket thin hot and thick cold. I think the numbers are backwards it turns to 0 when hot and 40 when cold.

One of the reasons Yamaha says not to use a synthetic in the RX is that it will use alot more oil. This obviously changes with driving style but still it makes sense.

It is also, as mentioned, very important that you don't refill the oil if the oil level is anywhere between the E-F...think E as enough.

Why is that, keep it at the e line? 1 ro 2 mm below the e line the warning light comes on. Now one weekend from full to light comes on, last year I would go 2 or 3 weeks without checking the oil.

DoctorC - You state that Yamaha says not to use syntetic. That is not quite accurate. They say not to use syntetics exceeding a certain quality named CD and/or oils labeled Energy Conserving II or higher. In Scandinavia Yamaha dealers sells Shell syntetic 5-30 for use with RX-1, bottles even have the Yamaha logo on them. After 2500 miles I have never seen the oil light come on, nor have I refilled any oil to my engine. Went to Shell syntetic after 2000 miles so I don't know yet if it will start using oil. I do not ride WOT all the time, trails won't let me :D

Back