• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installing a Ulmer clutch kit - How to Video

Excellent teaching tool for those who have never done it. I had to use pics from a thread on here to teach me ( it was very helpful ) but this just makes it that much easier by having someone walk you through it. I've never done my helix before but will be doing it now thanks to this vid! Well done Tom ;)! :rocks:

Just ordered one of Allen's kits yesterday so this video will definitely come in handy!

Thanks for posting it up Tom ;)!

Received my clutch kit last week and was thinking about starting the install within the next day or 2 and was wondering while I was in there if I should go ahead and replace any parts that might need replacing?

My Vector currently has 5000km's (3000 miles) and I know it is hard to tell without actually looking but does anyone think that any parts should be replaced with this amount of miles?

I just had a look and my ramps seem fine, my buttons look like alot of life is left in them but I have no idea what they look like new either, and is it a good idea to replace them now that a new helix is going in?

I of course ordered the Ulmer Vector kit which includes the primary spring and weights and the secondary helix (no secondary spring)

Thanks in advance

Irv said:
Received my clutch kit last week and was thinking about starting the install within the next day or 2 and was wondering while I was in there if I should go ahead and replace any parts that might need replacing?

My Vector currently has 5000km's (3000 miles) and I know it is hard to tell without actually looking but does anyone think that any parts should be replaced with this amount of miles?

I just had a look and my ramps seem fine, my buttons look like alot of life is left in them but I have no idea what they look like new either, and is it a good idea to replace them now that a new helix is going in?

I of course ordered the Ulmer Vector kit which includes the primary spring and weights and the secondary helix (no secondary spring)

Thanks in advance

Check to make sure the center bushing on the primary is good and not sloppy or scarred. Also look at the rollers, make sure they roll smooth with no wobble or don't have any worn flat spots.

MrSled said:
Irv said:

Thanks in advance

Check to make sure the center bushing on the primary is good and not sloppy or scarred. Also look at the rollers, make sure they roll smooth with no wobble or don't have any worn flat spots.

Never got around to the primary yet other than checking the rollers,(which seem fine so far) but I will be sure to check out that center bushing once I have it off.

I did have a good look at my secondary after it was cleaned and in my opinion, it looks like the buttons/pucks need to be replaced?

I figured with a new Helix going on there is no sense taking a chance running the old grooved out buttons on a brand new helix?
Dealer was called and they have 3 in stock which I will pick up tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Tom, appreciate it ;)!
(P.S. Is hole number#1 the original hole? I see no numbers on the clutch but I can see what hole the spring came out due to it being a bit shiny/polished plus it has a black paint mark from the spring in it)

Attachments

• HPIM1973a (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1973a (Medium).JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 638
  • HPIM1974 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1974 (Medium).JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 654
  • HPIM1979 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1979 (Medium).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 726
Nice job on the video! I am planning to order a clutch kit from Alan for my Phazer so your timing for the video is spot on.

Thanks, G.B.

Re: irv

MrSled said:
yamadog1 said:
put new buttons in your secondary yamaha ones.

If they are warn, replace :Rockon:

Bought new buttons today.

Just curious on my above question?

"P.S. Is hole number#1 the original hole? I see no numbers on the clutch but I can see what hole the spring came out due to it being a bit shiny/polished plus it has a black paint mark from the spring in it"

Re: irv

Irv said:
MrSled said:
yamadog1 said:
put new buttons in your secondary yamaha ones.

If they are warn, replace :Rockon:

Bought new buttons today.

Just curious on my above question?

"P.S. Is hole number#1 the original hole? I see no numbers on the clutch but I can see what hole the spring came out due to it being a bit shiny/polished plus it has a black paint mark from the spring in it"

Sometimes the castings number imprints are really hard to read. Take a look at each one of them and you should be able to make out at least one of the numbers and the partial of another.... take a flash light and really look.

Back