• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Interesting rumor

Sasquatch said:
BADSLED said:
Leading edge chassis? You mean the one they stole from doo.

Doo only claims they stole the chassis from them. They have yet to prove it in court. Looks like a similar but different design to me but I'm not a patent lawyer. How many changes does it have to have to be a different design?

What did they steal from Polaris that they gave Polaris their electrnic reverse? That was after Doo paid off Simmons for the ski design they stole from them. Round and round it goes! Lawyers will be making a buck or two!

Doo ONLY claims... Are you kidding me? Have you compared the sleds stripped side by side? I have and they are identical with slight feature changes that I can see. Basically it's 95% the same.. Time will tell and we are not talking ski patent infringement but a whole chassis...

The only thing cat had going for them was there engine, and I always thought there chassis sucked

So now there engines will be awesome and the chassis will still suck

I think yamaha will sell them 4 strokes but I don't think they will take the chassis or anything for that matter

Ok they will sell them clutches and engines and take nothing in return but money so maybe it will bring down the cost of the sleds ;)!

Woohooo...!
ProClimb 162" with the latest generation Apex engine, anybody...?
If that will exist, then I will buy it - guaranteed...!

Seriously, the snowmobile market is a constantly decreasing market and small companies that want to stay in business are for sure looking at the possibility to cooperate with other small companies. This is going on all the time in the car and motorcycle industry and I think we will see more of this also in the snowmobile industry. A cooperation between Yamaha and AC could be the hot ticket to some seriously good snowmobiles. Combine the culture of reliability with the culture of performance chassis...!

well Arctic Cat IS burning through cash reserves in a hurry, I wonder if there isn't a Ford/Mazda type deal in the works where Yamaha ends up owning 20-30% of Arctic Cat and they "share" technology. Ford Fusion = Tweaked Mazda 6 chassis. Mazda has alot of ford based engines. Arctic cat probibly won't get the Highest performance version of the engine, but they will get an engine like the Vector version of the Nytro engine.

Alatalo said:
Woohooo...!
ProClimb 162" with the latest generation Apex engine, anybody...?
If that will exist, then I will buy it - guaranteed...!

Seriously, the snowmobile market is a constantly decreasing market and small companies that want to stay in business are for sure looking at the possibility to cooperate with other small companies. This is going on all the time in the car and motorcycle industry and I think we will see more of this also in the snowmobile industry. A cooperation between Yamaha and AC could be the hot ticket to some seriously good snowmobiles. Combine the culture of reliability with the culture of performance chassis...!

This cooperation has a great potential but it's going to take a lot of effort from both sides as their goals and objectives have different approaches. The overall product line hopefully follows suit with Yamaha quality fit and finish for me to make a smooth transistion\ if this ever happens.

blueironranger said:
well Arctic Cat IS burning through cash reserves in a hurry, I wonder if there isn't a Ford/Mazda type deal in the works where Yamaha ends up owning 20-30% of Arctic Cat and they "share" technology. Ford Fusion = Tweaked Mazda 6 chassis. Mazda has alot of ford based engines. Arctic cat probibly won't get the Highest performance version of the engine, but they will get an engine like the Vector version of the Nytro engine.

Why would Cat want to do this? They just bought out all of Suzuki's ownership. I seriously doubt they would turn around and do the same thing with Yamaha.

Cat has already stated that they will be building their own engines after 2014. They already build their own engines for their ATV's.

blueironranger said:

This would be the best move for Cat to toss in the Nytro engine to take care of 600cc class sled.

BADSLED said:
Sasquatch said:
BADSLED said:
Leading edge chassis? You mean the one they stole from doo.

Doo only claims they stole the chassis from them. They have yet to prove it in court. Looks like a similar but different design to me but I'm not a patent lawyer. How many changes does it have to have to be a different design?

What did they steal from Polaris that they gave Polaris their electrnic reverse? That was after Doo paid off Simmons for the ski design they stole from them. Round and round it goes! Lawyers will be making a buck or two!

Doo ONLY claims... Are you kidding me? Have you compared the sleds stripped side by side? I have and they are identical with slight feature changes that I can see. Basically it's 95% the same.. Time will tell and we are not talking ski patent infringement but a whole chassis...

I agree. I have been around a few garage's and seen the ski-doo and cat's with the panels off. They look very similar to me.

KevinS said:
blueironranger said:

Why would Cat want to do this? They just bought out all of Suzuki's ownership. I seriously doubt they would turn around and do the same thing with Yamaha.

Cat has already stated that they will be building their own engines after 2014. They already build their own engines for their ATV's.

....And there lies the problem. They build their own engines.

I have no problem with Yamaha engines in Cat sleds. Yamaha does not want to retool for next generation sleds so we keep getting same old same old. Yamaha is looking for a graceful exit to snowmobiles & the name of the company is Yamaha Motor Corp. So if a partnership to sell 2s & 4s engines to Cat is right in the Yamaha wheelhouse & best for both compainies. Could be a good thing with a shrinking USA sled market & no room for 4 OEMS. I like it! How is this different than Yamaha outboards on Ranger or whoever OEM boats?

Back