• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is It Too Early To Mention 2024?

WillowAce

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper L-TX-DX - Sold
2019 Switchback XCR - Sold
2015 Viper L-TX-LE
2019 Renegade 850 - In the shed just in case
2020 Viper L-TX-SE
After missing any chance at ordering a new Yamaha during Power Surge I was giving serious thought into ordering a ZR8000 so I stopped by our Cat dealer today to discuss pricing. Unfortunately, before I got there I saw an article that said Cat intended to bring the ZR 7000 back into the lineup for 2023 but due to supply chain that was put off. I am a fan of the 1049 triple for several reasons so I had to ask if they knew anything about plans to put the 7000 back into the Cat lineup. The dealer said that their understanding is that there will be a ZR 7000 in the 2024 lineup. The following is the gist of the proceeding conversation.

Will it have EPS? "I have no idea, but I would think pricing will determine that."

ATAC? "If it is in the core ZR lineup ATAC will be available. It is possible that there will not be an option without ATAC."

ADAPT clutches are a good bit narrower than the old clutches, any chance they will move the engine lower in the chassis? "The clutch had very little if any affect on the engine mounting height. It makes sense to move the engine lower though, other than redundancy in a slower selling engine package that was the only complaint, too much weight above the roll center."

Any chance there will be a new chassis next year? "They wouldn't tell me that if there was."

Any rumors? "They're committed to gaining market share in the trail segment. No idea what that means or looks like, but if there bringing that engine package back they must feel that something they are doing will drive higher sales volume than before."

Will we have to wait until next April to order one? "Doubtful, 2023 pre-orders are going to have very limited availability. Dealers are looking at a significant reduction of the number of sleds they will be able to sell based on what we are hearing regarding allocations."

Possibly an early release for 2024? "You're guess is as good as mine. Dealers are worried and have voiced those worries to their reps. Our rep said they know that dealers are going to struggle with sales volume and they are working to take those worries off the table."

Does this actually mean anything? Who know's... If Cat does have something in the works can we assume that Yamaha will have the same changes available? We have to face the fact that the actual differences between Yamaha and Cat are fewer each year. If Yamaha doesn't offer a model other than the Viper GT would a ZR with ATAC (maybe smart shocks) actually be a step backwards at this point?

If Cat does have something in the works can we assume that Yamaha will have the same changes
That is the big question.
IF there is a new chassis, will Yamaha get a piece of it?
IF there is a new chassis, did they have any input?
Does Cat move forward with a new chassis and leave Yamaha with the Pro-Cross?

I would think it's a given that if there are any major changes to the chassis, the Yamaha version would get them as well.
Just think about it from an assembly line point of view.

After missing any chance at ordering a new Yamaha during Power Surge I was giving serious thought into ordering a ZR8000 so I stopped by our Cat dealer today to discuss pricing. Unfortunately, before I got there I saw an article that said Cat intended to bring the ZR 7000 back into the lineup for 2023 but due to supply chain that was put off. I am a fan of the 1049 triple for several reasons so I had to ask if they knew anything about plans to put the 7000 back into the Cat lineup. The dealer said that their understanding is that there will be a ZR 7000 in the 2024 lineup. The following is the gist of the proceeding conversation.

Will it have EPS? "I have no idea, but I would think pricing will determine that."

ATAC? "If it is in the core ZR lineup ATAC will be available. It is possible that there will not be an option without ATAC."

ADAPT clutches are a good bit narrower than the old clutches, any chance they will move the engine lower in the chassis? "The clutch had very little if any affect on the engine mounting height. It makes sense to move the engine lower though, other than redundancy in a slower selling engine package that was the only complaint, too much weight above the roll center."

Any chance there will be a new chassis next year? "They wouldn't tell me that if there was."

Any rumors? "They're committed to gaining market share in the trail segment. No idea what that means or looks like, but if there bringing that engine package back they must feel that something they are doing will drive higher sales volume than before."

Will we have to wait until next April to order one? "Doubtful, 2023 pre-orders are going to have very limited availability. Dealers are looking at a significant reduction of the number of sleds they will be able to sell based on what we are hearing regarding allocations."

Possibly an early release for 2024? "You're guess is as good as mine. Dealers are worried and have voiced those worries to their reps. Our rep said they know that dealers are going to struggle with sales volume and they are working to take those worries off the table."

Does this actually mean anything? Who know's... If Cat does have something in the works can we assume that Yamaha will have the same changes available? We have to face the fact that the actual differences between Yamaha and Cat are fewer each year. If Yamaha doesn't offer a model other than the Viper GT would a ZR with ATAC (maybe smart shocks) actually be a step backwards at this point?
Is there any printed release that says dealers are getting a significant reduction in their allotment ????
Apparently Yamaha is not following the same path , or Drantell didn't get the memo .
How do you increase some and reduce others ??
The only information I have heard is that the totals will be limited , but that does not necessarily mean lower than ly !

Not to early, Still waiting on a new chassis.

You can add "will Yamaha add more two strokes to its lineup" once there is a new chassis.

You can add "will Yamaha add more two strokes to its lineup" once there is a new chassis.

Well, Yamaha has a 200HP V6 and 85HP and under 2-strokes in its marine division which is the last division with significant investment in 2-strokes in the market, the offroad market gets the 125 and 250 dirt bikes, and there are no street bikes, ATVs or anything else with 2-strokes so I think the natural answer is no.

I don't believe Upstarter57 was indicating that Yamaha would add more two strokes of their own into their line up but that if the new chassis is only for AC two strokes, would Yamaha be offering more than just the Venom, Mountain Max and Transporter to their line-up; all of which run AC two strokes.

Earlier this week Cat sold out of just about everything in a couple of hours. There was no factory pre season factory incentive. Unless a dealer offered a discount you paid full price. My dealer does not think Cat will make more than 6000 sleds for 2023 MY. Considering the issues delivering 2022's it makes no sense to sell what you cannot get parts for. I am sure Yamaha can only build so many engines due to supply chain issues. We will see what 2024 brings in about 11 months.

I don't believe Upstarter57 was indicating that Yamaha would add more two strokes of their own into their line up but that if the new chassis is only for AC two strokes, would Yamaha be offering more than just the Venom, Mountain Max and Transporter to their line-up; all of which run AC two strokes.
The only thing Yamaha on those sleds are the stickers

Back