• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is this a good idea or bad? See photo.

gems4sale

Pro
Website
opalrough.ca
I fixed my sled tonight and I'm switching over the ski's. I read the posts about getting a wider stance and thought I'd go two on the outside. With the simmons ski's your even wider again. Is this going to last? Or should I just go with the bigger shim on the outside and smaller inside for a little extra?

Attachments

• XTX 197.jpg
    XTX 197.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 81

wouldnt the spindle put all the weight to the inside of the ski? is the spindle touching the ski plate or is there a spacer there? it might work out just fine for you, but i think it looks a little funny. let us know

My Simmons Gen-2's were supplied with equal size bushings for both sides. My skis are centered. That makes the most sense since the skis use twin keels.

SB

It doesn't feel right, particularly with a ski that wide. This would exaggerate the moment load on the spindle and ski bolt. Secondly, if you can feel a 3/4" difference in ski stance with skis ten inches wide you're not from this planet.

I don't know that I'll even try this setup. I think I'll just go big spacer to the outside. I can see how the load would increase substantually after staring at the front bolt and imagining it flexing under different circumstances. It would be strongest when equal on both sides but since I don't have the spacers I'll go largest outside. Just to get a little extra width. Thanks!

Attachments

• XTX 195.jpg
    XTX 195.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 74
Wow, never seen studs and backers bend so much.

How many studs did you put into your track, I'm guessing 114? It looks like a prime example of under studding a track.

Daranello said:
I would guess there a reason why Yamaha use the smaller spacer on the outside and the bigger one on the inside

I read it had to do with a width limit for out on the trails but who knows? I put my larger spacer on the outside. I love the Simmons ski's on any sled.

Can't be that.....ever see a Ski Doo Ellite SxS??? Its way over 48"

gems4sale said:
Daranello said:
I would guess there a reason why Yamaha use the smaller spacer on the outside and the bigger one on the inside

I read it had to do with a width limit for out on the trails but who knows? I put my larger spacer on the outside. I love the Simmons ski's on any sled.

Grimm said:
Wow, never seen studs and backers bend so much.

How many studs did you put into your track, I'm guessing 114? It looks like a prime example of under studding a track.

It does look like a prime example. I use to stud tracks way more and never had a bending problem. I think it also has to do with the stud length. I have a 1.5 track so the longer shaft is more susceptable to bending. If I had of used the collars like on the Apex I don't think I would have had this problem. I'll get a shot of this for a new post. Hopefully help someone out. I may have struck a rock while spinning. After the winter I'll try to post some pic's of how well they held up. I tend to put things through thier paces. The last two sleds I had before the two Apex's, I tore off the trailing arms on both. The Apex's never sustained any damage suspension damage although a couple times I got off to look... LoL I replaced the front suspension on the XTX last night.

gems4sale said:
I don't know that I'll even try this setup. I think I'll just go big spacer to the outside. I can see how the load would increase substantually after staring at the front bolt and imagining it flexing under different circumstances. It would be strongest when equal on both sides but since I don't have the spacers I'll go largest outside. Just to get a little extra width. Thanks!

When I saw your studs a few weeks back I thought to myself those are not going to last, my F7 had 1.5's on it with med nuts and single backers and each season I replaced atleast 15-20 broken or bent studs. Now with 5,000 miles on it that track is shot with multiple tear outs and broken paddles I have put a lightly used new 1.375 track on it with no studs, so for my Nytro I stayed away from singles and did 114 with all doubles and super tall nuts and stainless studs. My thought is the stainless will snap before causing a tear out, not allways but it will help reduce stress. After 800 miles of use I have a few minnor bent studs but they look way better then any singles with short nuts.

My Cat Sno Pro was set up like this from the factory. THey have the inside of the spindle close to inside of the ski. Then use spacers to make it a tad wider. On yours just make sure you have something between your spindle and the side of the ski.

Attachments

• sno pro ebay 011.JPG
    sno pro ebay 011.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 80
Put 85 miles on yesterday. Almost 140 km. Had the skis set up with the larger spacer outside for a little extra width over stock. Seemd to preform without any problems. I thought with both shims to the outside it would put too much stress on the bolt and ski saddle.

The studs are a pain to replace. Luckily I have a grinder...LoL I was a bone head not using collars or tall nuts. Aluminum backers are not too good either. I was going to use the double sets like snow X'ers do but didn't... I'll pay better attention here next time!

Were getting 20 cm of snow today and tonight. I'll watch NFL today! Maybe change a few more bent studs.

Back