• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Issue changing Hyfax

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Rage
So I'm new to Yamahas but not new to sleds, have had all three other brands and I've always changed the hyfax by sliding them out a track window but on my Rage it really seams like the window just is not wide enough to. It could be that the hyfax are really worn out and have mushroomed some. Anyhow can you normally slide them out the window or do you have to pull the skid on these sleds?

Second issue is on one rail the screw that secures the hyfax had the head sheared off (as I said hyfax well worn) Didn't know this when I bought it. I tried using an easy out but it appears seized in there. Unfortunately the rail seams narrow as I can see the buldging of the threads for the hole on the sides. I'm thinking of just drilling it out all the way up through and put a nut on the top but I'm afraid its too narrow and will not be strong enough, any suggestions?

Thanks

~ Phil

The hyfax will fit thru the window with some force. I spray the hole with silicone spray and pry it out with a big flat screw driver as I roll the track. Once its hanging out then put the sled in reverse and ease on the throttle and it will peel like a banana.

As far as the broken bolt. I am sure it had loctite on it so you may need some heat on that to release.

Hi thanks I saw a video on someone doing the reverse trick I never heard of that seams like it could cause damage somewhere. So they will fit, Ill try forcing it and puting some lube on it. Id rather just pull them all the way out the windows, will try again and if cannot will attempt the reverse trick.

As for the broke screw I think im just screwed on it. The way its broke off I cannot get a drill to go into the center of it, wants to slide off, even the center punch will not make a indent in the middle.... Thinking will have to drill it out as best I can and then do a nut on the top side of it like Doos have.

Thanks

Hi thanks I saw a video on someone doing the reverse trick I never heard of that seams like it could cause damage somewhere. So they will fit, Ill try forcing it and puting some lube on it. Id rather just pull them all the way out the windows, will try again and if cannot will attempt the reverse trick.

As for the broke screw I think im just screwed on it. The way its broke off I cannot get a drill to go into the center of it, wants to slide off, even the center punch will not make a indent in the middle.... Thinking will have to drill it out as best I can and then do a nut on the top side of it like Doos have.

Thanks

If your careful it wont hurt anything. You can always pull the belt and roll the track backwards by hand too.

Thanks

Never had an issue doing it the way Mr. Sled describes. Get a very small (1/8") carbide tipped drill bit and try to drill a small hole first. Even if it's off center a bit you should be ok. The get an easy out in there and heat the rail with a propane torch or something.....again as Mr. Sled recommended.

Hi thanks, so I manage to get the slides off and put one on the side that has no issue with the locking screw. Its a tight squeeze through the track window but does work with some light oil.

As for the broken screw, its no use it broke off jagged and there is no way to get a hole started even near the center, ive done this before (not on a screw in a rail) and succeeded but no dice here. The hole I managed to drill was off center and fear its in the threads a bit. Trying an easyout and it just stripped off inside the hole. Im going another route going to drill it out best I can and then put a smaller screw in and drill a hole through the rail and put a nut on the end of the screw above the slide.

The skid on these sleds look like they weigh a ton, I bet its an easy 70-75 lbs. I can get a renegade or GTX skid that functions great and save 20-25 lbs over this thing.

Not for this year as I just dumped a ton into new idlers, 4 wheel rear axle and slides...

~ Phil

I have taken a utility knife and expanded the track window by a little on both sides -lined up with the Camoplast name so I can find it again, makes putting the slides in and out much easier

Thanks for the suggestion, next time I do this I will cut them open some as you suggested. I thought about it but didn't dare....

Back