• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It’s In! Venom Mountain

Hi just a little update on my sons sled. The dealer came by last Monday to add extra weight in the clutch. They said it was the overreving causing the P1324 code. Sort of the mapping not being good for past 7600. I checked my plug and it is a nice chocolate brown colour. So hopefully no major damage was done. My buddy wasn’t so lucky as he blew his motor and they are all on backorder till June. His daughters season is done... I would like to add though that I found something very odd when looking closer to the skidoo. In the front belly pan right behind where the lower a arm bolts to frame. I found a 3/8 (or m10) nut with the threaded stud broke off inside it. It’s like the nut sheared off the bolt. It is the same zinc plated nuts and black stud as I see other places on the sled but I looked everywhere and I can’t seem to find where it comes from. I checked all over front end with a flashlight and a mirror. I wonder if anyone else has found something like this. The sled only has 75km (50miles) on it, it’s not from an accident the stud looks like it was sheared off from twisting when installed.

I decided that I would try 15g weights to see if any performance gain since with 14g I was right on borderline of limiter. Decided to try my Cat Metric puller also. Puller worked perfectly. No mod needed. This is same puller used on Suzuki 800 and will be blue. Also although I am very happy with the stock clutch if a guy wanted to put a Cat clutch on all that looks to be needed is the bolt. Stock isn’t long enough. Of course tuning,belt alignment etc are all going to come into play. Maybe someday though and Thunder Products sure did a nice job on rebuilding my shot Cat clutch! Lastly the Starter Bendix. Yup it’s really mangled. This is not from grinding while starting. It is rattling out as you are riding. Will have to be replaced and issue figured out by Yamaha. Perhaps a stronger spring? If you look back I experimented with bluing the teeth and only using recoil. Bluing was all gone in one ride and more wear occurred. No doubt it’s coming out while riding.
ABA3CFF1-22E8-4BEA-8CD3-30069233FAAD.jpeg
9C084318-150D-4CE7-A133-42769F425D49.jpeg
CCCCA85E-150B-4218-A7B2-3B88FAAEDC28.jpeg
3B4CAFFE-0311-40AC-A32E-7AA23D7C91E5.jpeg
521CCC30-AC27-4D23-BB3B-66D288A6F914.jpeg
EEA4D765-EF25-4222-81B6-73D70A0ABCF4.jpeg

We had to replace our starter. My son got stuck and had to wait for me to come rescue him when I got there the machine was off went to start it and all it would do is make a load click, recoil wouldn’t come out either locked solid. Grabbed clutch it would not move. I thought it had seized but what happened was the bendix was engaged with starter locked up. Had to beat the bendix out of engagement and then pull started it. Tried to key start it again same lock up situation. Disengaged bendix and pull started again to finish ride. When I got in the shop the nut was of the end of the starter and couldn’t findthe spring or one of the cups. They must have fell out past brake rotor my dealer found me a new starter in six days. The part was back ordered from Yamaha. The bendix was also pretty beat up. Any how been running this sled pretty hard without issues over 500 mile now

there is definitely a problem with the starter that needs to addressed.

when ordering starter make sure to order bendix group as it doesn’t come with starter

We had to replace our starter. My son got stuck and had to wait for me to come rescue him when I got there the machine was off went to start it and all it would do is make a load click, recoil wouldn’t come out either locked solid. Grabbed clutch it would not move. I thought it had seized but what happened was the bendix was engaged with starter locked up. Had to beat the bendix out of engagement and then pull started it. Tried to key start it again same lock up situation. Disengaged bendix and pull started again to finish ride. When I got in the shop the nut was of the end of the starter and couldn’t findthe spring or one of the cups. They must have fell out past brake rotor my dealer found me a new starter in six days. The part was back ordered from Yamaha. The bendix was also pretty beat up. Any how been running this sled pretty hard without issues over 500 mile now

there is definitely a problem with the starter that needs to addressed.

when ordering starter make sure to order bendix group as it doesn’t come with starter
Yup and I check weekly for Bulletins or any info that would indicate Yamaha and Cat arent just letting us owners figure it out ourselves. Nothing! One maybe justifiable reason may be that the parts arent available to satisfy a bulletin issuance. Problem is Warranty is basicly over since less and less people will have snow to ride on now. Grrr!

I’m pushing my dealer and will not stop until I get another year warranty as we ran this thing as instructed by Yamaha.

Everyone should do the same

I’m pushing my dealer and will not stop until I get another year warranty as we ran this thing as instructed by Yamaha.

Everyone should do the same

I agree. Do we need to organize? Get one lawyer to write a letter on behalf of all the owners?

They say they will “take care of me” they haven’t done a thing to show me that yet. I want the extended warranty in writing.

Attachments

• 6DCEDBC1-7A58-40F8-8565-80F55556708D.png
    6DCEDBC1-7A58-40F8-8565-80F55556708D.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I agree. Do we need to organize? Get one lawyer to write a letter on behalf of all the owners?

They say they will “take care of me” they haven’t done a thing to show me that yet. I want the extended warranty it in writing.

I think I see the issue. You have been emailing with the YMCA! As in, The Village People YMCA.

Did You ever find a stiffer drive spring to raise engagement slightly? In deep snow and stuck we have trouble getting the track to spin.

Did You ever find a stiffer drive spring to raise engagement slightly? In deep snow and stuck we have trouble getting the track to spin.
No but I agree off trail needs higher engagement and really would like more skid front pressure. Hard to get front end up. Thinking of dropping front skid location a bit

I am still looking for some fox floats for our rear skid , haven’t had any luck. I had hoped proper shocks would help with tuning ski lift etc with stiffer front shock.
I also tried going through Arctic Cat and Yamaha to find stiffer preload drive clutch spring , no luck. What elevation are you riding at?
Emailed CVtech to try to get some help. Gave them the parts numbers for everything and spring preload and rate of existing spring. Hoping they can find a spring with slightly more preload. If not going to build and try shims.

I am still looking for some fox floats for our rear skid , haven’t had any luck. I had hoped proper shocks would help with tuning ski lift etc with stiffer front shock.
I also tried going through Arctic Cat and Yamaha to find stiffer preload drive clutch spring , no luck. What elevation are you riding at?
Emailed CVtech to try to get some help. Gave them the parts numbers for everything and spring preload and rate of existing spring. Hoping they can find a spring with slightly more preload. If not going to build and try shims.
It’s going to take moving skid mounting to get front light on Mountain. I think they designed it this way for approach angle. Looks to be same as a alpha but without the dropped chaincase. So it doesn’t trench but sure is boring not being able to hoist front. The spring chart for primary is on here somewhere. Just have to experiment. I fired mine up yesterday but still have Viper to go through before I start another round of testing on Venom. Sorry. We don’t get good off trail snow in MI for another month or two so trail sleds get attention first.

Back