• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I've moved on to 2004s

edgerider

Veteran
In my quest to purchase a Yamaha 4-stroke I have stopped looking at 03s and now I'm looking at 04s. But I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with. What is the big difference between 03 and 04? Is there much difference in in 04 RX-1 and and 04 RX Warrior? Any type of things to look for would help out. Thanks in advance.

The main differences between 03 and 04 involved the front suspension.

03: 10mm swaybar and short links, progressive rate springs.
04: 11mm swaybar and long links, constant rate springs.

The second *real* difference is in the jackshaft bearing retainer - some of them slid out in the 03's, the 04+ have the collar locked with a big nut.

Other than those differences, a couple of rivets moved here and there, rubber pads to protect the hood from a bolt head, graphics, grip warmer memory, etc., nothing major.

Total cost to update an 03 to 04; ~$300.

Unless you are talking about a warrior, they are close to the same and you will have $$ into making them ride and handle well. That being said, the lower cost the better. I have an 05 and a 03. The 05 is a good sled but needed a few mods, I essentially made the 03 the same as the modded 05, the 04 would need the same changes as the 03, so $$ at purchase is the most important factor to me.

I have mono in both, stuffed seat, raised & articulated forward steering, wide front end with straight rate springs, links, 12mm bar, pilot skis, and ripsaw track.

You have to like to fuss with them to make them ride like an Apex. I'd say I have $9000 in the 05 bought new and under $5000 in the 03 used. They are the same on the trail. The Bender Mono might be better because of the shock but I do not have enough miles on to tell.

Chances are any 03 you buy will have the new bearings. links, ect. just as the 04.

Back