• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

jackshaft nut removal!!!

rx-1mountain

Extreme
i am changing my track and i need to take the jackshaft nut off on the chain case side. had a guy holding the driven and i put a 17/16 wrench on the nut and pulled all i had but nothing. it wouldint come loose. i think my dealer who i bought the sled from put everything on with impact wrench. this makes it alot harder to get this off. this is the only thing that stopping me from changingmy track! anyone got any ideas on how to get this bastard off? i need help and i turned the nut counter clockwise.(to the left) please get back to me as soon as possible!

Thank You!

nut

I took a 1/2" drive socket cut it in half and welded a piece of 1-1/2" pipe about 3 inches long in the middle to just make a really deep, deepwell socket so I could use the impact wrench and yes you are turning it the right way. Or you can order the socket from MPI I think.

Hope that helps Jason.

Use a impact gun with the correct size sockets. It might just take the rattling of the impact gun to shake that baby lose. Once you get it broken lose use a wrench or your fingers to take the nut off. I just had a impact gun wreck the threads on my ATV crankshaft while removing a similar (27mm) size nut.

Good luck

Frosty

I had the same problem and was pulling my hair out. The yami service garage used an impact driver to put in on and it might as well have been welded on. I ended up getting a deep socket to get around the nut. To keep the shaft from turning... keep the chain tight and the weight of the sled on the track gave enough resistance to get it broke free. Also if you heat the nut up without putting to much heat to the shaft it will definitely help expand the nut and get it off... if the heat doesn't do it, apply lots of wd-40 or screw-loose after heating it and as it cools it will pull the lubricant into the threads. If all else fails, take Frosty's advice and find a impact gun!

I am stuck, I have all ready taken my skid out. How do you stop the Jack shaft from turning. I am trying to use a 36mm wrench on the nut
6149C6E6-7106-4208-B19A-231EEE6F48D6.jpeg

Can you just put your clutch back on the other side and hold it with a strap or get someone to hold it. That nut isn't usually too tight

I have the right socket for that. Where abouts are you located?

I tried this, too much flex in the tie down
D05B0A88-544F-4A8A-92C9-8CD3257F21E2.jpeg

Toronto area
About 1.5 hours away.
Can't you put the brake keyway in and then hold it with a pipewrench? The pipewrench will grab the keyway.
Another way is to use an airhammer with a round flat bit. Carefully hammer the proper side of the nut flat surfaces to loosen. I know it sounds crude but it works well. I've done it on stubborn large nuts on sport atv rear axle.

Or take the clutch off and a pipewrench will grip the splines.

About 1.5 hours away.
Can't you put the brake keyway in and then hold it with a pipewrench? The pipewrench will grab the keyway.
Another way is to use an airhammer with a round flat bit. Carefully hammer the proper side of the nut flat surfaces to loosen. I know it sounds crude but it works well. I've done it on stubborn large nuts on sport atv rear axle
I am able to hold the clutch with a chain wrench, but my adjustable keeps slipping off the nut. What tool do you have where did you get it, can you post a picture? I’m in London tomorrow

i have used a hammer and punch/chisel on the corner of the nut to break it loose on a few sleds. i always file the outside of the nut back into shape when i do this.

As long as you have the chain and gears assembled, what I always do before removing the chain, bottom gear, reverse gear is use a large crescent wrench to be able to go around the drive axle (it's hexagon or whatever but it works) and then hold the crescent wrench as you unloosen the nut on the top gear.

I too have a deep well 36mm socket and even created a post to share the info. Its a 2036XMD 6-Point 36mm socket and here's a link the post with additional information. With still having the RX-1 and 08 Apex in my fleet (11-18 didn't have the nut I believe), the socket has more than paid for itself.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/yamaha-chain-case-top-gear-36mm-socket.150272/#post-1392008

I am able to hold the clutch with a chain wrench, but my adjustable keeps slipping off the nut. What tool do you have where did you get it, can you post a picture? I’m in London tomorrow
Who ever makes Yamaha tools is where its from. It is just a very deep socket. Take that clutch right off and hold the shaft with a pipe wrench on the splines.

Back