• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just got off the 2011 apex SE & XTX

Turk

Tech Advisor
Guys
Just got back from demo rides. Special thanx to Jimbo(lakeracer) who got me out on an extra rip. Also congrats on the new baby girl. As you lnow jim is now working for Yamaha canada.
Anyway..What I was looking for was not what i expected & in a good thing.
First & foremost the bumpability & handling of the xtx blew me away. I was expected to be wowed by the power & power steering but it was riding thru 2' moguls at 50 mph with 1 hand feeling your on a cloud that blew me away.
I ride with all new doo,s & was jealeous on the way they handled & rode. The xtx is like your on a big cloud while hammering thru vicious moguls.
I know it,s been said over & over but it does feel a lot more lighter now then my nytro xtx & way smoother.
It really needs about a 3-4" riser as it is not suited for stand up riding at all.
The ripsaw track does it no justice at all as it spins wildly even when getting on the throttle at 50 mph.
The stock clutching is off but sled had only 600 km,s(400 miles) on iy. I was lucky to see 10-10,200 rpm on a pull.
I got to ride all the sleds in big bumps & wide open fields with 6" of fresh snow.
Now the biggee...it was -26C here today & actually had to stop & turn down the handwarmers!!! Hands were roasted & it,s been a long time since I had that happen.These are by far the best handwarmers on any Yamaha.
Conditions were not cundisive to trying the power steering as it was either really bumpy ditches or wide open soft fields.
Motor is buttery smooth.
Put a few miles on the SE but imo the xtx rides 100X better. Everyone on the rides also agreed. With out fail every single person was amazed at the xtx. It really eclipsed the se except for maybe some real tight corners.
The 144 xtx suspension is shocking how well it works in the apex chassis.

The one sled that really surprised me was the vector lt-x. What a killer package! I think this sled is Yamaha,s best kept secret! I would have no trouble riding this as a trail sled. It actually feels a little stronger down low then the nytro xtx.

Now i gotta find $16k canadian plus 12% taxed to buy this thing!!!!

Turk said:
Guys
Just got back from demo rides. Special thanx to Jimbo(lakeracer) who got me out on an extra rip. Also congrats on the new baby girl. As you lnow jim is now working for Yamaha canada.
First & foremost the bumpability & handling of the xtx blew me away. I was expected to be wowed by the power & power steering but it was riding thru 2' moguls at 50 mph with 1 hand feeling your on a cloud that blew me away.
I ride with all new doo,s & was jealeous on the way they handled & rode. The xtx is like your on a big cloud while hammering thru vicious moguls.
I know it,s been said over & over but it does feel a lot more lighter now then my nytro xtx & way smoother.
It really needs about a 3-4" riser as it is not suited for stand up riding at all.
The ripsaw track does it no justice at all as it spins wildly even when getting on the throttle at 50 mph.
The stock clutching is off but sled had only 600 km,s(400 miles) on iy. I was lucky to see 10-10,200 rpm on a pull.
I got to ride all the sleds in big bumps & wide open fields with 6" of fresh snow.
Now the biggee...it was -26C here today & actually had to stop & turn down the handwarmers!!! Hands were roated & it,s been a long time since I had that happen.These are by far the best handwarmers on any Yamaha.
Conditions were not cundisive to trying the power steering as it was either really bumpy ditches or wide open soft fields.
Motor is buttery smooth.
Put a few miles on the SE but imo the xtx rides 100X better. Everyone on the rides also agreed. With out fail every single person was amazed at the xtx. It really eclipsed the se except for maybe some real tight corners.

The one sled that really surprised me was the vector lt-x. What a killer package! I think this sled is Yamaha,s best kept secret! I would have no trouble riding this as a trail sled. It actually feels a little stronger down low then the nytro xtx.

So you would sell your Nytro for it?

Did you guys see the spec. for fuel capacity? It is down to 9.2 Gallons. That is almost 10% less from the 2007. I'm only getting about 110 miles per tank as it is. :o| :o| :o|

SledFreak said:
Turk said:
Guys
Now the biggee...it was -26C here today & actually had to stop & turn down the handwarmers!!! Hands were roated & it,s been a long time since I had that happen.These are by far the best handwarmers on any Yamaha.
Motor is buttery smooth.

So you would sell your Nytro for it?

maybeeee??? Kinda made a deal on it with a guy at the demo ride allready.

Turk, How did the new motor feel compared to the current Apex. Down low,midrange and top end????? Thanks for the ride report also. I am starting to think 144incher.

Turk, finally nice to meet you!

I was at the same outing Turk was. It was nice to try all the major sleds yamaha has. Overall it was a positive experience and nothing really negative about any of the sleds.

I was first to get on the Apex XTX. Totally blew away my expectations. This sled drove like it was a mere 300 lbs. I did not notice any weight at all. Felt much lighter then any sled I have ever driven. I got to take it through a tree line and it pulled over very easily, actually easier then my Nytro XTX. Only down side was the riser was way to short for me. Taking it over the pumps it actually took them way better then the Nytro XTX they had as well as my XTX that I own. It stayed very strait through the line with no bouncing, bottoming or anything. The front suspension worked in sink with the rear. Over all handled way better then my XTX.

First thing they told us when we got on the sled "These are all we got for Canada so dont wreck them" I figured how in the heck would we do that. Well the sled definitely has more snap then a Nytro. Throttle response I felt was much quicker. We let the lead guy get ahead of us away and my buddy on the Nytro XTX decided to have a race. Well I was too busy looking at the speedo and not where I was going. I soon found out what the YEPS actually does for you. I hit a drift at 164 kmh on an angle and then right into the uphill of a hill. The thought went through my head that this was going to hurt really bad and I just ruined (yard saled) a new Apex and ruined it for everyone else. Much to my surprise the bars were not ripped out of my hands and the rear skid did not buck me sky high. The sled stayed true to the line. Man was that a saviour. Any other sled it would not have been pretty.

So who one the race? The nytro was on harder packed snow and got the jump, I was on the soft snow. It was dead even. We then proceeded to race on a more flat ground and the Apex xtx was much faster by a few sled lengths from a dead pull to as far as we could go. Not even a contest.

Rode the SE for a while too. Was nice, smooth but like the XTX better. Seemed to hook up better and the bumps were not different.

Did not really get to try corners as the ride was not set up for that. I did notice the YEPS on the XTX was not as tight as the SE. The SE was more True. I am wondering if they are trying different polymers in the YEPS to see what works best. The screw from how I understand it is made of polymer and is flexible to take jarring. It could be the cog, not sure. Anyways on the XTX you could feel the elasticity of the steering wear the SE was not as pronounced. What I mean is if you steer it, you will actually start steering right before you got left. Very minor, but it was there on the XTX and not on the SE.

Seating position was also very comfortable. The seat was very nice.

Turk is right about the Vectors. They are a sleeper. I would have no problems driving one of them for a trail machine. Great sled!

If anyone is wondering, I will not be trading my XTX for a new sled. At the end of the day, I still prefer the feel of the Nytro for the way it is set up. I love my XTX. Now if the Nytro came with YEPS, back country track and Floats all around like the MTX SE, then I would be up grading.

TURKATOLA!
It was was great to hear from you today after your ride! It sounds like you fella's experienced some of the same yamasuprises i did. I've seen no posts that have have had the opertun to air it out on a lake like i did.
xtx studded and clutched is going is going to to be a BIG suprise!

I would really love to hear an opinion about how the XTX corners relative to the shorter track SE and whether the longer track shows any cornering sharpness difference.

My dealer and his mechanic rode the new Apexes in Old Forge yesterday. His mechanic is an experienced tuner and has bikes,quads and has had many fast Yamaha's. I value his opinion. Here is what he had to say after he rode an SE,STANDARD APEX AND A XTX. Hands down the XTX was the best with the SE being the least liked. His 280lb #*$&@ could bottom out the SE but I am sure that could be easily adjusted. He said the new motor is super responsive especially in the 6-8000rpm range. He said he was totally confident the XTX was the hardest accelerating stock sled he had ever been on. When he found traction it was an explosive rocket. He said the 128inchers also accelerated harder than our current 121inchers. He also commented that the new seat was great along with the wind protection. The power steering was great too. He said one of the sleds had duallys on it and it just railed and was totally dartless. The single runner machines did dart occasionally but were still better than any other sled he has driven to date. Conditions probably mean everything too. Now I have to get to ride one!!!!! Oh yeah he also said they feel lighter physically to lift, especially in the back..

Back