• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

just purchased an 03 rx1 fixer upper need help

jrice1987

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha rx1
I've been familiar with 2 strokes for a very long time, not to familiar with these 4 stroke yamis, anyway the sled had not run for 2 years, first problem no power at all, put new battery in no fix, found the igniton switch was bad= fixed. 2nd problem it would run but was spitting fuel out 2 of the carbs,rebuilt all carbs = fixed.
3rd problem if I adjust the idle to 2000 (eliminate some clutch rattle)i hit the gas and it hangs right at 2300 2500 won't come back down. now if i adjust to 1400-1500 its fine comes right back down= not fixed
4th problem took it out for a spin and it would not rev past 3000, tors bypass= somewhat fixed
5th problem I could smell burning belt with just riding around for 10 min felt primary and secondary both were so hot i couldnt keep my hand on for 10sec note that belt looks kinda worn, but would it cause it to get hott that fter 10 mins? it seems like the damn e brake is on but i check the disc and it moves back and forth not stuck, also the whole front end moves until clutch kicks in, kind of concerning! any help with problem 3-4-5 would be greatly appreciated. love this site by the way

as to the idle not coming down, you might need to clean the carbs again and check that all the choke plungers are seating. it can take a few times because of crud in the lines and fuel pumps.

4 and 5 are related. you need to pull the clutches apart and clean them as they are probably full of belt dust and corrosion from sitting. i would throw a new primary clutch spring and new belt into it while you are at it as it most likely is weak from all these years. make sure when you clean it (no lube at all) that all the rollers and weights move freely as well as all the bushings slide on the shafts without binding. it might be clutched already so make sure you put the same one in new.

Back