• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Keeping this thing on the side of a hill!!

SierraApexMtn

Hello to all...
What adjustments will help me keep a bone stock '06 Apex Mtn up while side hilling? Gravity just takes over! Not neccesarly on real steep side hills either. Both feet on the up hill board and hanging way out and I just can't keep it up there. I only weigh 180 which I'm sure doesn't help but I never had this problem with previous sleds. Thanks...[/b]

SierraApexMtn said:
Hello to all...
What adjustments will help me keep a bone stock '06 Apex Mtn up while side hilling? Gravity just takes over! Not neccesarly on real steep side hills either. Both feet on the up hill board and hanging way out and I just can't keep it up there. I only weigh 180 which I'm sure doesn't help but I never had this problem with previous sleds. Thanks...[/b]

i was having the same problem until a friend of mine looked at my tech i was squating and bending my knees while side hilling. he told me to stand up straight and then lean off it has helped me huge. still working on it but it made a huge difference for me :Rockon:

On my RX when it wants to go downhill I find myself panicking and countersteering immediately to the steering stops. I doubt this is proper form but it has no choice but to stay on its side when I do that. :)

remove the sway bar. will side hill as long as you want after that.
my RX-MTN pulled me down the hill all the time and I was 265lbs. Now I can drop down hill and swing it back up hill no problem.

side hilling

Do you know how to carve by counter steering? Can you cut a donut.... if so then stand up straight hang a leg out and steer "away" from the hill and don't be afraid of the throttle it's your best friend! If you can't comfortably cut a donut and carve then find a flat area with 18" or more powder and practice until you can and the side hilling will come natural.

I second GotJuice, the throttle is your friend, as is a bar riser.
Also it comes down to finding the balance point on the chassis for you and your weight. I only weigh a few more pounds than you and it took me awhile to adjust. Of course if I'm really struggling I just hammer the throttle and hang on. I really only notice I'm battling the chassis on hard setup snow, otherwise she sidehills great.

I was following a Nytro through the trees all last Sunday in spring snow and it mentally wore me out. I got to the point where I just wanted to climb something open, lol.

What's the consensus on the sway bar? I've always disconnected them before, but with boost if I even blip the throttle in a turn on the trail the inside ski heads for the sky and I have to slow down.

Wakegod said:
What's the consensus on the sway bar? I've always disconnected them before, but with boost if I even blip the throttle in a turn on the trail the inside ski heads for the sky and I have to slow down.

I tried learning to sidehill with the sway bar in and was a miserable failure. Took it out and could consistently hold a sidehill after the first day -though it was not an Apex.

does it ride on the trailsand boondocking without the sway bar?

Thxs.

David

The only place the sway does any good is on the groomed trail, other than that its in the trash with it.........tried a 13mm,11mm and it was justa :o| :o| fight, take that baby off

good advice

2XM3 said:
The only place the sway does any good is on the groomed trail, other than that its in the trash with it.........tried a 13mm,11mm and it was justa :o| :o| fight, take that baby off
>>
Your getting some great, solid advice from all of us who've paved the way. Learning by trial and error on the unknown Apex. I run without a swaybar in powder conditions but when the powder get's 6" or less it won't steer worth a crap....drag you down hill no matter how hard to pulled/leaned or faught the heavy pig. So I run without one until later in the year and try to keep off the gas in the tight trails. I wish there were this many nice guys shelling out info three years ago....no body knew or would share anything back then....LOL.
Another thing to consider is the rear skid set up, do you guys set them up stiff with minimal transfer or soft lots of transfer? I have mine pulled up one hole on the limiters and transfer blocks set to full transfer. I like to transfer alot and get the nose of the sled in the air but the down side is it submarines when you drop the gas or come off a jump/mushroom. Might trench a tad more then if you stopped the transfer not sure? what's your thoughts 2XM ?

Thank you all for your input! Guess I should have said it was hard snow that I was having the worse problems on. We've been robbed for snow here in the Sirerras this winter and there just hasn't been any powder to speak of.
Carving is when you darn near lay the sled up on it's side with one ski in the air?? I do have a left throttle but sure see how a riser would help.
Thank you all again for your input and it is snowing now :)

I didn't have a huge problem side hilling my apex, but I was coming off of an attak which was way out of it's element for hills. I did just remove my sway bar and put a riser on it for my last ride. Huge difference. It's a whole new sled. Spent the better half of a day over-countersteering and flopping the sled on it's side. I loved the change, but keeping up with my brothers nyro rtx on the trail was terrifying. I'd say remove the sway bar and try it out since it's easy to do. I should know by this weekend if my sway bar will stay out once I try it on Boost.

Back