• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Last season on my MP :-(

My plan is to finish the season with the MP since my trail pass is on it and do all the swapping of parts and selling in the off season. That way, no down time and I can enjoy my last season on the MP.

Now with snowmageddon coming tomorrow, I'm laid up with a sore back. That's what I get from shopping with my wife at Ikea!

Here's a bit more news. My son just sold the 07 Phazer. He's basically outgrown it and now he's on the hunt for a Nytro.

the track howl actually changes where it happens with different pitch drivers. in driving my 2011 2.52 back to back with my brothers 09 mtx and my 2016 xtx, i noticed the difference. the 11 starts at 50 kph and quits around 57kph with 2.52 drivers. the 16 with 2.86 drivers, starts at 56kph and dies off before i hit 62kph. the 09 mtx with the 3 pitch drivers has basicly no howl at all. all sleds are on stock tracks, 1-1/4" for the xtx's and 2-1/2" for the mtx.

btw congrats on the new sled!

Interesting info @maim . The MP makes noise at almost all speeds. Funny thing is that I think the helmet contributes to it. I rode it at the lake without a helmet and the noise didn't bother me. With the helmet, I'd get the high pitched painful ringing associated with the intake noise. Probably why I have permanent tinnitus now.

I wish I could ride the new sled but it needs work and doesn't have a pass. I don't even want to take it out for a test ride in case the code 12 comes hard. Yesterday it did the no start/crank and code 12 again. Only happens when it's overnight stone cold. I'll be tackling these issues as well as a good going over everything. Steering is surprisingly tight but has a squeak.

Sitting on it and looking at the MP, I don't think there is that much difference in ride height. Might be the optics that are deceiving. The rider forward position is good, same as the MP, and the backrest makes it even better.

Nothing like taking a year or 2 away from this forum, only to log on and see that I'm being talked about in this thread! Lol. I'm fro's step brother! And just like you Mooseman, I've gone from the MP to the venture gt. I got a 2009, excellent shape for 4200. I got rid of the MP for reasons out of my control, and I miss it, but I'm excited about the gt. I've gone on a few short rides and I can tell you that it is so much more powerful it's crazy. The handling is way different. It's a monster in my opinion. Amazing to think that the MP seems like a more nimble sled, but so far it really does. I feel like I had more control over the MP and was able to maneuver it easier with body English the GT feels lighter when picking up th back end, but feels really heavy up front. That said, I'm looking forward to getting used to it. I plan on getting out this weekend for a good rip. When I considered buying it I though I was going to see an rs venture. That's what the guy posted in his ad. He even had a stock photo of the rs venture. When I showed up to take a look I said "holy #*$&@" it's a gt. Lol. They wanted 63 and came all the way down to 42. They are moving and had no time to bother waiting it out. I got lucky. I've been getting lots of tips from Fro since I got it. Looking forward to hearing about your experience too mooseman. One big thing I noticed compared to the MP is that the reverse always engages on the GT, not like the finicky MP. Also, it starts below -28. The MP did not.

Took the MP out for a ride down to a local eatery and back. Then, when I got home, looked at the GT and was too tempted so I took it out for a quick jaunt. Started up no issues or code 12. Wow, love the power and the smoothness of the whole machine. Steering effort is half of the MP and super comfortable on my burger king butt. Plug for the visor is built-in the bar which is nice. It's the Cadillac of sleds IMHO. My only gripe is that the handle bar bag hides the speedo, and I'm 6'2". Actually, two gripes. It also darts badly. I am spoiled by the MP's dual carbides. Stuff I'll address during the summer.

Took the MP out for a ride down to a local eatery and back. Then, when I got home, looked at the GT and was too tempted so I took it out for a quick jaunt. Started up no issues or code 12. Wow, love the power and the smoothness of the whole machine. Steering effort is half of the MP and super comfortable on my burger king butt. Plug for the visor is built-in the bar which is nice. It's the Cadillac of sleds IMHO. My only gripe is that the handle bar bag hides the speedo, and I'm 6'2". Actually, two gripes. It also darts badly. I am spoiled by the MP's dual carbides. Stuff I'll address during the summer.

Funny how you mention Cadillac lol, I debated on ordering Cadillac badges/emblems from e-Bay and replacing the Yamaha tuning fork emblems on my Venture with them haha.
My thoughts exactly from the very first time I took it out, Cadillac!
I wonder if later on down the road, if you had the spare funds to do so, if a dealer would install the electric steering on yours. It sooo adds to that Cadillac feel.

If I needed it, I would probably just go with Barn of Parts' MPS. Simpler and cheaper. I might just go for it because the tie-rods ends have a little slop and I would rather have the enclosed ones than the exposed ball type.

And now I'm jonesing to ride it. Such a nice ride.

Hey, it didn't take long for the Nytro to show up in your info. Obviously he wasn't looking forward to being shown up by the old man.

I find it odd that code 12 is intermittent. Any that I have had experience with are complete failures.

It could be a wiring issue but I have read that some had intermittent failures like mine at startup and eventually became a hard permanent failure. I can see the cold and heat contracting and expanding metal and wires enough to do this. I will be going over the whole sled during the down season as well as prepping the MP for its sale.

Yeah, my son didn't waste any time. He found a sweet deal on a '10 Nytro with just 5k km on the clock for $4k. Just needed an oil change, greasing the drive bearings and the skid and it's ready to go. He still has to get it registered and insured, which is where we might see sticker shock.

And with that said, I can see my older son also moving to a bigger sled. His '09 Phazer GT was extended to 144". However, he abused it badly and was poorly maintained. He's running it on ground down skis and a blown lower balljoint grinding into the spindle. If he does get another sled, this one will likely be parted out. But then again, he probably won't be able to upgrade since he is expecting their first child. Heck, he'll probably have to give up the sport for a while.

Just thought I would share these pics of the GT and MP side by side. And just as I suspected, riding height wise, there isn't much difference. I think it's the shape of the MP's short nose (or the GT's long nose) that makes it look higher.

And after a bit more reading, the issue with the no crank and code 12 is likely a bad starter solenoid. The ECU is expecting to see engine pulses while being cranked but if it isn't turning, then it "thinks" there's something wrong with the sensor. It's doing exactly the same as my MP did when its solenoid was bad.

IMG_20190219_171515_resized1304480006.jpg
IMG_20190219_171528_resized1810093697.jpg

Still on the road coming back from picking it up. It's an even better deal than first thought. It came with all the bags, including the much coveted saddle bags, and the rack. Hell yeah! starts and purrs like a kitten. Track is definitely fubared with a bunch of pulled studs so my Crossover is going in. Hope the track noise doesn't get worse with its 1.5" paddles. For $3500, I'm happy!
:-o
I'm assuming you're swapping a track from your MP... So will a 144" track fit the TF? Never mind.. I see you got the GT with the 144" track.

Nothing is silly. If it works, it works. Necessity is the mother of invention. As I get familiar with my new-to-me sled, I'll be modding it too.

How's slider wear on the RS? Noticed that this one has wear at the front curve so likely I'll be adding low snow wheels there. I had put bigger wheels on the MP and that helped slider longevity immensely but wonder if they contribute to the track howl. Somebody in the RS section suggests removing all idler wheels to stop the noise.
Well, I have almost 20,000 Km on mine with original slides... so I'd say that's pretty good!

Well, I have almost 20,000 Km on mine with original slides... so I'd say that's pretty good!

That is good! You have the Duponts? You mostly trail ride or off trail in loose powder?

BTW, I've parked the MP as it was throwing a code 33 again and didn't want to dick around with it anymore. I swapped the skis as the GT needed dual carbides badly for darting. Such a much nicer ride!
:-o

Back