• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LED Upgrade?

Phaze

Expert
2012 Yamaha Apex
Current bulbs 50480u H4
60/55w

What would be a good replacement to get a bright white light? Are you guys using LED, Xenon, HIDs? Part# and/or links? Would like plug n play....

I researched the forum some and some recommendations were HIDs from Rock?
Never heard of Rock...

Thx

Yes, highly recommend getting in touch of @Rockmeister. His kits are truly plug-and-play and run his HID kits in both of my Apex's. Here is a link to his website.
Amen, don't waste your money on LED for the true japanese Yamaha sleds. The headlights love HID's, and you will as well in snow dust.

I've had his HID's in two Apex, a Phazer and a Viper, all have been rock solid (nice pun there)

I'll have to try out the HID's in my Phazers. I currently have LED bulbs which work ok but nothing stellar. At the very least they freed up some watts for running the seat heaters.
The exact same bulbs in my Ski Doo XS chassis sleds work amazing compared to halogen so apparently the housing makes a huge difference.

The headlight adjuster is also an awesome product. You can adjust while riding without tools.

Hid's in all 4 of our Apex's.

These look interesting too.....

When you hear a lot of comments about LEDs vs HID, especially in the snow, it comes down to two factors. Most HIDS tend to fall between 4300k and 6000k with the bulk of them being in the 4500-5000k range in color temperature. Most H4 and other replacement LEDs tend to be in the 4500-10000k color temperature range (almost purple) with the bulk of the popular ones being more blue (6000 and up).

What-is-Color-Temperature-Infographic-StudioBinder.png

When you look at the LEDs in those higher color temperatures from the front (Facing the light) they look piercingly bright. But when you try to use them to penetrate any kind of atmospheric moisture (rain/fog/snow) they work poorly. This is because the blue part of the color spectrum is reflected better by snow. When you put HIDs in place they often don't look as bright from the front but will penetrate moisture in the air better because the light is warmer (more red) than blue. The red part of the light is absorbed rather than reflected and counterintuitively this helps you see better. This is also why bodies of water appear more blue in sunlight. Red penetrates, blue is reflected. Stick to LEDs that have the squirrel finders (blocks light from reflecting into the trees) and are of a lower in the color spectrum, typically 5500k and lower, down to about 4500k.

I stay away from LED's for my sled for the simple reason that the reflective housing was designed for a bulb that emits light 360* not a single source160*+/-. My Neighbor,( who is a Rigid Industries rep.) and I have had many chats about this subject and they all come down to the reflective housing needs to be built with the light source used.
Roc has spent a lot of time with his kits testing bulb types and bulb colors and has come up with an excellent plug and play kit.

I stay away from LED's for my sled for the simple reason that the reflective housing was designed for a bulb that emits light 360* not a single source160*+/-. My Neighbor,( who is a Rigid Industries rep.) and I have had many chats about this subject and they all come down to the reflective housing needs to be built with the light source used.
Roc has spent a lot of time with his kits testing bulb types and bulb colors and has come up with an excellent plug and play kit.

My 'factor number two' which I never finished as I got distracted by the new puppy, is exactly this. Older LED designs especially do not have the right light dispersion and tend to create a lot of hot spots and unwanted glare. Thats those kids coming at you with purple lights at night that are blinding, not due to brightness but because the lamps are not designed properly for the housing. The latest rounds of LED bulbs are getting much better. I have LEDs in the Apex, primarily because I found a decent set and because they free up some power on the sled. One thing I did not factor in and only learned about the hard way is that any moisture that gets into the headlight assembly tends to stay there because the LEDs run so much cooler.

loved roc's led in my apex and et410. made 5 seasons before i burnt one up in the apex (rock still has it with @Crewchief47 thumb print in the plastic) and the one in the et a year later. buget not letting me buy new ones atm but i loved them and still run one in my wr250x from his kit.

The HIDs from Rockmeister (Yamaheater.com) will outperform ANY LED bulb that you can put in those housings... AND they will not have the scatter like LED bulbs will in a reflector housing. The scatter is what causes them to be so blinding for oncoming riders.

Rocz HID’s are one of the best upgrades I’ve done. LED’s just don’t send light down the trail like these do. And he stands behind his products!

Back