• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

limiter strap

I have mine on the 2nd one down from the top. The handling is pretty good and it also lifts the skis which is fun! So yeah just try it out, see what you like. Also, if you have the Fox Floats like I do, you can take some air out of them to lower the front end and loosen the strap. Making it easier to change. But when you pump them back up have the skis off the ground!

Hey kodak here is a video on how the factory rear skid works in your sled. So your limiter strap is limited in what it can do but setup right can help. The idea is to lower the front of the rear skid with the limiter strap pulled down to apply ski pressure. The front shock to be set softer with the back being set stiffer to try and get them working together. This video is for the mountain guys but the same problems effect trail suspensions.

I have an MTX and bought a MTN. Tamer rear suspension and what a different ride this sled is. Stability and steering control restored along with the tippy feel reduced drastically.

http://www.timbersled.com/mtntamerVideo.htm

So you can only loosen it, (less ski pressure) one more hole? Or the opposite, you can only pull it up one more? That's where i am. What kind of trails, if any, do you ride? Hard packed, groomed, powder?

I don't know if that was remotely close to our situation, but i always wondered about sag. Mine has a lot of it too! Tighten the torsion springs and back of the shock compression? (I'm full soft on the springs now, and probably close to full soft on the rear clicker.)

That sag is part stiction and part the front of skid acting against the rear.When whole sled is off the ground the sag is not there.I like the sag but do wish that part of the travel was controlled better.Ever notice when suspension is completely disassembled,cleaned and greased the "uncontrolled" sag is gone?Its kind of a catch22 get rid of the sag and it is going to raise Center of Gravity causing crummy handling but will be better suspension action.All brands with suspensions similar to ours the sag is there after time.No way could a trailrider stand having the rear as high as the Timbersled unless it also has alot of sag with rider on it which he really didnt show.Guys look at a AC,Polaris or Doo and then look at our skid.It is almost identical.

Hey cannondale27 I thought the same thing even when I bought the Timbersled skid. But when I rode it for the first time I was amazed at the center of gravity and tippy feeling was mostly gone. I have rode it on the trail since install and handling is way improved over stock. I bought it to support my heavy weight 280lbs geared up and for better traction in the powder. With the Float X shock and adjustment range it is amazing and due to better traction it even pulls better.

I am not saying this Timbersled skid is the anwser, just a common problem with the stock suspensions characteristics. But if you could ride my MTX you would be suprised and I do ride it aggressively on and off trail.

Stock skid.Do a experiment.Raise the front so skiis are off the ground.Then lift and push down on the rear.The "uncontrolled action"is gone.Even on lowest torsion setting you can feel the shock working.

I dont doubt you UP its just from what I see when watching the dreaded ski lift on a turn is that I am not seeing the outside skishock compressing before inside one goes into the air.To me that means its just gravity taking over and only thing I have been able to do to counteract it is lower the sled and widen it.Its possible the Timbersled with its adjustable transfer and suspension action helps to keep the front end planted.I rode a XRS Doo other day and to me it felt almost exactly like the Phazer.It was definitly a "active" sled.Rode TNT same day both new 800's and it sat noticeably lower.Barely had to move off seat to corner but it didnt go through the bumps near as well as XRS or even my Phazer.It sure doesnt seem like it should be difficult to have everything but I havent ridden any sleds yet that do.

Not to get off topic but last year I made a demo bracket for the front shocks to mount too. This lowered the front end by 2 inches and that made a huge difference in center of gravity on trail cornering. I had Fox Float 2 shocks with 90 psi and cornered close to flat with very little ski lift. I did not pursue it any farther for I like the clearance of the front end bush riding. Maybe a great thought for you trail guys though.

kodak said:
yes I have placed both spacers on inside was first thing i did after i bought sled did make big difference on trails I love how she handles in deep powder but I don't get alot to ride in i probaly should have gotten a 136 or 121 but I go alot by myself and wanted to get stuck as little as possible so I trail ride with trhe mtx and head to the mountains a couple times a year and every time I go to the deep snow I fall in love with phaz all over again. I wish yamaha would come up with a means to widen front ski stance even an extra inch each side i think would do but i'm no expert and am not trying to pretend to be.

Moving these to the "inside" actually makes the ski stance narrower. I think most will agree that moving the spacers to the outside gives the skis a wider stance and more stable "less tippy" feeling. Spacers on the outside moves the spindle to the inside of the ski.

Just wanted to clarify.

I can tell you from this weekend that the Schmidt brother sway bar made a BIG difference sled was flat and much more predictable. he didn't cut me a break so I hemmed and hawed over buying a 550 sway bar. I am glad I did it realy changes how the sled handles.....

Back