• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Longer Control Cables on a RS

Gone Blue

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08' Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary - Stretched
I am adding an Apex Mountain seat and Apex bars to my 07' RS this summer. The Apex bars are approx 2" shorter in height than the stock RS bars that came on my Rage. I had been using a 2" ROX pivot riser on my stock Rage to make it easier to stand, but it was not quite enough height. So with my new set up I am going big with a 5" ROX pivot riser plus a 1" riser block I had lying around. With this much rise I am going with longer cables.

I bought a set of 07' Vector Mountain SE cables from Port Yamaha and thought I would share the length differences for anyone considering a similar mod.

#8FS-26351-00 Parking Brake cable is approx 3 3/8" longer than stock / $25.91

#8GE-26330-00 Choke cable is approx 4 1/4" longer than stock / $14.46

#8GE-26311-00 Throttle cable is approx 4 1/2" longer than stock / $21.35

The above prices were from Port Yamaha. For the Brake hose I am using a a used Powermadd hose that I bought off of TY member so I dont have the stock Mountain SE hose length. I think I paid something like $22 for this.

The length differences listed above are for the cable housings. I will have plenty of slack with my riser set up. Although, I do have the pivot riser set straight up (vertically) right now. I would think that there is plenty of cable length if I was to lay the bars back too. I cant wait to ride this new set up. Bring on the snow! G.B.

No problem. Yeah, it is not too bad. I saved the most on the used extended brake hose. I think they are close to $50 new and I paid around $22 shipped for another TY member.

If you look at the Yamaha parts list they list different part numbers for these cables between a standard Vector Mountain and a Vector Mountain SE. Kevin at Port was pretty sure the SE cables were longer than the standard Mountain. That is why I went with the SE cables. The standard Mountain cables are a couple buck cheaper, but I am not sure on the length. G.B.

smilened said:
Hey Blue,
Did you have any issues with the length of the electrical cables?

Thanks Ed

Hey Ed, There is enough slack with the wiring. The stock RS bars have a 4" rise and Apex bars have a 2" rise. With my 6" riser set up the the bars are approx 4" higher on the sled than stock. All of the wiring connectors that were under the stock handle bar pad are now cover up by a riser gaitor. See some info in my other thread.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=73459

Since I am so happy with this set up, I plan to move all of the wiring connectors under the hood as a summer project. G.B.

Gone Blue said:
Since I am so happy with this set up, I plan to move all of the wiring connectors under the hood as a summer project. G.B.

That is time consuming but not all that hard. I used lengths of wire approximately 12" long or so. Had them all ready and just sat down next to the sled, snipped the wires in the bar end of the harness off and soldered in the extensions. I did it one by one and used shrink wraps. Covered the harnesses in plastic conduit and bought that little rubber pouch for a Nytro that snaps around the connectors under the hood.

Just a tip: if you are going to use the conduit over the harnesses, you may want to stagger the splices up and down on the individual harnesses. If you splice all in the same area, that part of the harness will end up hard to fit inside the conduit as the bunched together splices add a lot of diameter.

twomorestrokes said:
Gone Blue said:
Just a tip: if you are going to use the conduit over the harnesses, you may want to stagger the splices up and down on the individual harnesses. If you splice all in the same area, that part of the harness will end up hard to fit inside the conduit as the bunched together splices add a lot of diameter.

Great tip! Thanks Mike..........
G.B.

Here's mine. Not really worth of a picture as it looks like any Nytro but with black conduit instead of gray.

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 119

Back