• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Longest lasting ski rod???

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm wondering what ski rods last the longest in poor snow conditions? I'm not worried about darting issues or interested in changing ski brands or styles, or adjusting the sled for ski pressures, I'm just wanting input on actual ski rod longevity. (if 2 identical sleds had different rods, how did the life of them compare?) I've always used Woody's but I've also heard of other brands simply lasting longer. I've rode with a fella using Everlaster rods, but they complained they hook on everything with how aggressive they are and with such a high profile, and seemed to lift the ski into the air at high speeds due to placing the base of the ski so high on real hard snow or ice conditions. My Nytro has Tuner ski's on it and I'm studded to the max. We ride in very harsh conditions where the life of the rods are low due to road crossings, rail bed riding with low snow and trails following road shoulders either on gravel or asphalt. Wheel kits are not an option. Thanks for any input!!

Bergstrom Triple Points, with ski savers & shims.
At around 5000 miles the triple point dull out some. But still the host bar and carbides are still in tact.
My current set has over 6000 miles on them. Bars are fine. Just getting harder to maneuver at the gas station.
Installing new Triple points, in January, 2021 just because.

Bergstroms triple points last the longest.

All that you want is them too last longer?
Buy some hard welding rod and just build your runners back up .

Bergstrom Triple Points, with ski savers & shims.
At around 5000 miles the triple point dull out some. But still the host bar and carbides are still in tact.
My current set has over 6000 miles on them. Bars are fine. Just getting harder to maneuver at the gas station.
Installing new Triple points, in January, 2021 just because.

I ran Bergstroms on SLP Mohawks for two seasons, and while the carbides were pretty dull, there was plenty of life still left in them. I replaced them with SLP carbides and SLP "keel blades" to reduce darting. The SLP's with the keel blade cured the darting issues, but, I had to replace them after one season. The Bergstroms definitely last longer than any carbide I have ever used, except Snow Trackers. Trackers just seem to go forever!

Had great sucess in past with snowstuds magnum runners. Lots of wear pads, they are tough. The bergstroms last long as well but personally wasnt impressed with them on my firecat.

You can add me to the Bergstrom fan list. I have been running them on the Viper and the Winder on Mohawk skis (with their shim and ski saver) and they still look brand new. Still on the first set!! I have had zero darting issues with them. I took them off the Viper before I sold it last month as they will be going on the new Winder on day one...

I’m for the bergstroms as well. I have about 3500 miles on mine and they still seem sharp. However on the last ride last season one of them lost some of the pieces of carbide. So I need to take them up to him and see if he’ll do anything with them.

You can add me to the Bergstrom fan list. I have been running them on the Viper and the Winder on Mohawk skis (with their shim and ski saver) and they still look brand new. Still on the first set!! I have had zero darting issues with them. I took them off the Viper before I sold it last month as they will be going on the new Winder on day one...
I ran the Bergstroms on my Viper XTX with Mohawks, and found that they were hard to turn, and darted despite using the shims and ski savers from Bergstrom. I added Bill Mohr's spring which eased the hard turning, but I had to go to SLP carbides with keel blades in order to get rid of the darting. I keep hoping that Snow Trackers will finally make carbides to fit the SLP skis!

I ran the Bergstroms on my Viper XTX with Mohawks, and found that they were hard to turn, and darted despite using the shims and ski savers from Bergstrom. I added Bill Mohr's spring which eased the hard turning, but I had to go to SLP carbides with keel blades in order to get rid of the darting. I keep hoping that Snow Trackers will finally make carbides to fit the SLP skis!

I am going to install Snow Studs double down runners on my SLP Mohawks this year. They claim no darting with this set up.

I am going to install Snow Studs double down runners on my SLP Mohawks this year. They claim no darting with this set up.[/QU

Do you know which Snow Studs Double Down runners fit the Mohawks? I would definitely be interested in trying them out!

I purchased them thru Port Yamaha. They know which series fits what. I can look when I get home tonight and get back with you with the number.

I have had the most miles > 10,000 on Bergstrom triples on my 06 APEX, yet darting/hunting is less on my 13 APEX with Sno Trackers aggressive, I have only 4K Since I installed an they still look good and love the way the sleds track and turn.

I have to say Stud Boy Shaper bars have some of the hardest carbide I've experience ! but hard turning !
I ran Bergstrom triple points for years and they perform well . I did have one bad set that wore flat to the host bar in less than one season.
Snowtrackers do wear but there performance seems to stay. The host bar wears away to reveal more carbide so it never gets dull . And no darting .

For now, Snowtrackers for all there benefits.

Back