• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at a 03 RX-1

Jeckylll

Veteran
My main sled is a 06 APEX Gt with a 144 zx-2 skid.

I am looking at a second sled. An RX-1 with ~3000miles on it (121 with 2"). It has had the suspension upgrades done on the front.

Just wondering what the general thoughts on this sled are? Maintenance, Problems i should look for, Fuel economy, general satisfaction?

thanks

If all the front suspension upgrades have been done, you should have none of the handling issues that were present on the 03's.

Some people report that their 03 motors use oil, moreso than the 04/05 versions. Some as much as 1qt for a few hundred miles. Not enough that it visibly burns oil, but enough it needs regular checking. Others don't have that issue, so it must be hit-and miss. My 05 doesn't use hardly any oil at all, like 1 cup for 1200 miles which is totally acceptable for a 4 stroke.

I think the 03's had the crappy handwarmers that take a long time to heat up, and they don't remember your setting after the motor is shut off.

It's a great "trail performance" sled, but the heavy weight and short track add up to it sinking like a brick in the powder. My longtrack Warrior is a bit better, but that's still kinda a dog off trail.

The 03 hand warmers are flamethrowers, but they do go to high every time the motor starts. The 03's do burn some oil, more oil use the harder it is ridden, I average a quart every 800-1000 miles. The skid sucks, I put a doo sc10-III in mine and it is great. The stock skis suck, I like the cheap camoplast skiis. The front end also needs some striaght rate springs. Stock seat is too low and hard, add foam to seat or get apex seat (better) (I need one).

The motor rocks, and it will ride and handle well with the mods above. Reliability is second to none.

Flamethrowers yes. The start-on-high issue can be solved with a few bucks if you don't mind doing a little wiring. Oil consumption issues are blown out of proportion on this site. Some burn, most don't. Stock suspension works fine IF you know how to adjust it properly. Stock seat is a matter of preference. Personally, I can't stand cushy or tall seats. Keep low down behind the windshield so you can duck under it when the freezing rain starts - with the right positioning, you can see over the top of the windshield and airflow will draw freezing rain up above your visor.

can ya tell me how to properly set it up . i just got an 03 with 3500 on it last year . i ran mine for 1000 mi and never used any oil. i have an 07 apex also but love the rx1. my only problem is handling on hard pack . its very squirmy in the tail. when i learn the adjustments i am more than sure it will be great. any help with a explanation on the adjustments will be appreciated.

scubadoo said:
can ya tell me how to properly set it up . i just got an 03 with 3500 on it last year . i ran mine for 1000 mi and never used any oil. i have an 07 apex also but love the rx1. my only problem is handling on hard pack . its very squirmy in the tail. when i learn the adjustments i am more than sure it will be great. any help with a explanation on the adjustments will be appreciated.
Either put a Ripsaw on it or keep the current Ripsaw on it and pick the hell out of it! Then you will not have any more squirm on the trails! Maybe, some C&A razors and you'll think you are driving a stock car!

Yep Buy the 03 and install the mono in it. you'll need the front tunnel mounting plates they are about $125. Depending on your weight and riding style you'll have to play with the limiter strap for ski lift and then start dialing in the pring and transfer rod. The holes in the plates match the existing rivets in the tunnel so its easy to install. If you have a ripsaw use it or I love my Kimpex Shotgun 1-1/4" it comes pre-drilled for 96 studs down the middle. I have one with over 8000 miles on it with no lost studs because the holes are reinforced and there is not a mark on any lug. You can find them around new for about $369.00. Ihave done several of these and they are fantastic.

Yamadog - What studs are you running? I have never ran studs so it will be something totally new to me.

The GT monshock has the adjustable dampener. Has anyone wired this up to a non gt sled. I was wondering if it is a 0-12v signal that needs to be sent to the shock to vary the dampening.

Woody's 1.375 60deg carbide & I swithed to the round plastic plates and they held up well.

Put em in and hold on. :die

things to check on used rx1

I have an 04 with 8,000 km on it. things to check are make sure the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings have been replaced. look for torn up idler wheels , front bushings in the a arms need to be replaced. make sure the oil has been changed on a regular basis. Look up in the tunnel and make sure the front heat exchanger is not torn from studs. check the exhasut, look for cracks or severe rust. shocks most likely need to be recharged. Keep in mind the large center rear shock is not rebulidable and most likely is done $400 to $600 for a new one. I am up to $1,500 in repairs this year so far. I have done all the repairs myself this year , not that hard just takes time and the yamaha manual helps big time. still have to pull off the primary clutch and let someone look at it. Dont have all the tools to rebuild the primary but might tackle it, ordered a clutch rebulid kit from the dealer. give us something to do in the summer. Also powder coated the front a arms $ 150 cash from local powder coater.

The 03's were spec'd with 5w30 oil and the newer ones were spec'd with 0w30, the guys that use 0W30 on teh 2003 sleds it seems like the sleds drink the oil at start up, use 5W30 and it doesn't burn a drop.

Again this idea they burn oil comes from a few posts on this site vs the thousands that probably dont post here and do not burn a drop.

I would love to have the rx as a back up sled!

Just do it. I have a nice backup sled in my '03 RX-1 mod sled - it uses about 1 liter/quart pr. 1000 kms or 600 miles, not that I care cause I'm asking it to produce about 280-300 HP and I'm asking for it quite often and every time I cross the lakes :)

To make it ride with the best of them I have done about every mod there is to it, have a look at

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Back