• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at a 2006 Attak

My advice - Ride it as much as possible at first without passing judgement. It reacts differently than many other sleds and requires relearning of many riding skills especially off-trail. In deeper snow you have to ride it quite differently or you will be stuck a lot. In really deep snow like mountain riders would see it is best left on the trailer.

Give it some time, and listen to the feedback it gives you and you should start to really like it. It is an incredibly stable trail sled as long as you learn how it likes to corner.

Thanks for the advice Ding. I'm thinking that when i get the sled I'm going to put a pair of ski-skins on because the stock skis look pretty thin (i.e. not good for deeper snow). Where I live, I have to break a trail for about 1 1/2 miles in order to get onto the actual groomed trails so I need to be able to handle at least moderately deep snow. This is the reason I wanted to go with the slightly longer track. Do you (or anyone for that matter) have any experience with the "skins"?

Swap the skis for the Yamaha Mountain skis. You get the same basic profile on the packed trail, but lots more flotation off-trail. They work good with lots of carbide. Or go with an after market ski. I don't know much about the ski-skins other than using them for steel skis back when. If they are anything like those, I can't imagine they would be very good off or on trail.

Set transfer to max and keep the track speed up (without trenching) and they will go pretty good. Nothing like a mountain sled but better than many think. I think many people start to trench and then wack the throttle which just goes down.

Another quick maintenance item should be the driveshaft bearing speedo side under secondary clutch. Same issue on your SXR. 990 miles and bearing could be serviceable but at the very least remove it, clean and re-grease every season. For the price I would change it out after so many seasons even with such low mileage. Yes this one can leave you stranded as it takes out speed pick-up. Maybe re-grease jackshaft clutchside bearing at the same time. Good luck!

If it only has 990 miles on it, I'd say it's been sitting alot. The first thing I would do is check every bearing, idler wheel, and grease zerk for rust. After that is complete I would open up that track and clip in order to accomodate anti ratchet drivers. You said you have to break trail and I'll tell you that the Attak's like to ratchet. Also the occasional hyfax wear is alot more often than occasional. You may want to install the Polaris wheels right out of the chute. I would also send the rear shock into Hygear for revalving. Change the bars over to 07's or newer in order to get the better hand warmers. Coming off the SXR you will hate the 06 Attaks stock heated grips.
I've updated/fixed almost everything imaginable on this sled. With that being said, it's also the only sled I've ever had with 14,000 miles on it and still running strong. The motor never disappointes!

Phew! This sled is starting to look like a lot of work...Is this because it is a first generation (sorta) sled? Were the bugs (ratcheting, hyfax wear, delaminating wheels etc.) worked out of the 2007 edition of the attak?

I'm sticking with Yamaha for their reliability but I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself and others that I got a high-quality sled if I'm stuck spending lots of money and countless hours just to get it to a state of not having to worry about it. =/

All the stuff listed are suggestions of things to look for. Doesn't mean you're going to have to do it all now. At some point you will need to address some of them. If most people did every thing they should to sleds they probably wouldn't ride.
My Attak has 13,500 miles on it. Still a great sled.

lawmanbsi said:
All the stuff listed are suggestions of things to look for. Doesn't mean you're going to have to do it all now. At some point you will need to address some of them. If most people did every thing they should to sleds they probably wouldn't ride.
My Attak has 13,500 miles on it. Still a great sled.

Point taken. Thanks lawman. Yamaha hasn't failed me yet and everyone here that has one seems to love the attak so I'll give it a full season before I make any judgements on it.

YamahaMainer said:
Ding said:
Swap the skis for the Yamaha Mountain skis. .

Are you sure Yamaha makes mountain skis for the attak? I've checked the website catalog and the 2011 catalog and they only seem to make them for mountain-class sleds?

Is this what you may have been referring to? http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...ail/5/438/1828/13011/all/1/4997/0/detail.aspx

The Mountain skis fit the Attak too.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx

These fit as long as you get the hardware kit (spacers, longer bolt, etc.)

Ding said:
YamahaMainer said:
Ding said:
Swap the skis for the Yamaha Mountain skis. .

Are you sure Yamaha makes mountain skis for the attak? I've checked the website catalog and the 2011 catalog and they only seem to make them for mountain-class sleds?

Is this what you may have been referring to? http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...ail/5/438/1828/13011/all/1/4997/0/detail.aspx

The Mountain skis fit the Attak too.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx

These fit as long as you get the hardware kit (spacers, longer bolt, etc.)

Ah, so it IS true! Thanks for the find!

If all these problems listed are to much save a little more and look for an ltx most of the problems listed have been updated w-arm,drive shaft. Only thing you would need to do is protect rear heat exchanger if you pick it

I haven't had any of those problems mentioned in the other replies. Hy-fax wear was a little high, but installed the wheel kit from Pioneer Performance and fixed the problem. I currently have a 2006 Apex GT for sale to make room for the 2011 Apex XTX.

Also have a 2007 Attak
2010 Vector LTX GT
2009 Venture GT

I mention the other sleds because I haven't had any of the problems mentioned on those sleds either. Not saying the other members didn't have them, just saying they might not be "common or frequent".

Every time someone asks this same basic question, everyone lists every possible problem you could have since we are all on here and mainly talking about our problems. I know several people who own apex and vectors who are not on this site or any snowmobile site and they never seam to have any issues with their sleds.

The issues we are listing are all things to look for. Some people say the hyfax wear out super fast but I get 1500-2000 miles out of a set. They wear fast at first but then stop and last for a while. I am 300 lbs, I rode my sled very hard for 3000 miles and never had an issue with the suspension. I revalved the shock and put on a fat boy spring when I got the sled ($150 +/-) and it rode great, handled great, and I had zero reliability issues with the suspension...... Now, since I don't want to have any issues in the future with the suspension, and I know (from this site) that its a little weak spot on the yammis, I took it all apart and sent the arms out for the beef up kit this spring, now I don't have a worry and I can run it hard this season, but there were no cracks at all in my suspension ams when I took it apart and the beef up kit is only a couple hundred bucks and is worth every penny. Not something you need to run right out and get today, just look at the suspension when you buy it and look close for cracks. If there are any then you need to get it done now, if everything looks good, and you don't have the extra $$, ride it and keep an eye on it, get the beef up done in the off season when you have the cash.

I lost one wheel last season in the rear so I replaced them too but I didn't go out and blow $1000 on super fancy wheels. I just got black plastic wheels from parts unlimited for $35 each and now I have all new wheels with replacable bearings and with all the black in the back of my sled, they look good.

My bushings have some wear but Im leaving them until next summer and it might be time for a new sled by then anyway...

My sled is an 06, I bought it with less than 200 miles on it, it had been in storage for 2+ years, so I had some worries about reliability, I changed all the fluids and filters, it came with a new battery. I had the shock revalved and a bigger spring put on and rode it HARD all season for over 3000 miles. I had no problems at all. Don't let us get you worried about the reliability of the apex, just look everything over good BEFORE you fork over the cash, if you see any issues bring it to their attention and have them fix it or lower the price.

I've ridden yamaha 4 strokes for alot of miles and one thing for sure I can say, yamahas are the most reliable sleds on snow right now...
They are different from any other sled, once you get used to the way it rides, handles, and the motor. You'll love it, I can't ever see myself going back to a 2 stroke. Usually thats what most apex owners say,

Back