• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking to purchase Viper

Yamakaze

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Srx700
I owned many Yamahas over the last ten years. Sx700, several srx700, several vmax4’s, and currently have a fleet of vintage enticers/exciters. I have questions about the newer 4 stroke vipers. I have never owned a 4 stroke sled. What should I look for for a reliable trail sled? I will be using it for trail riding in the UP of Michigan. I’m looking at riding long distances. I did a 710 mile ride 2 years ago on my 93 vmax4 and my back has finally healed. So, I’ve decided to finally get a modern suspension sled and something with reliable fuel efficient power. I don’t do much off trail, just occasional. I’m looking for feedback on used Vipers. What should I look for , year, suspension, track etc.? Are there any issues that need to be addressed with the engine etc.?

The 2016 and up model years have an improved jack shaft assembly. However, starting in 2016 they have the weaker rods that will never handle a turbo. If you want a turbo don’t buy a Viper, find a Sidewinder. A Viper with an aftermarket turbo will never hold it’s value on the used market like a sidewinder.

The standard Fox Float 2 or 3 shocks that came on many of the Vipers are terrible. Not just bad. Terrible. Adding an aftermarket EVOL kit will help but it is still no replacement for good quality coil over shocks. Find a sled with QS3 shocks or plan in your budget for replacing the shocks. Do not underestimate the difference this will make.

I think that the mountain seat is a big improvement over the standard seat. They were available on some of the the XTX’s.

I wouldn't be afraid of any year of the Viper. I own a 2014 and a 2016, and love them both. The 2014 has 10,000 miles and I think the engine is just as strong, or even stronger than the 2016. If you are doing long distance riding, and not much off trail, the LTX is for you. The LTX-DX model comes with decent coil-over shocks, larger windshield, and a heated seat which make it more comfortable for long days on the trail. The LTX-LE is the "luxury" sled that comes with better shocks standard. The one thing I would definitely plan on is getting a set of Snow Trackers for your skis. The 2014 Vipers came with Arctic Cat skis which are good skis that will perform well with your favorite carbides. (They are awesome with the Snow Trackers on them.) The 2015 and up came with Yamaha Tuners which were not designed for the Pro Cross chassis, and they just do not perform well on the Viper. You can buy the Cat skis, or any number of aftermarket skis, or you can add Snow Trackers to the Tuners. The Trackers make the Tuners into a pretty good trail ski, and that is probably the cheapest option for a good handling trail sled. They hold the trail well; they don't dart, and they steer easy.

If you are buying a used sled, make sure it has the latest "flash." Any dealer can check it by VIN #. The latest flash theoretically provides protection against the kick-backs that ate starters, helps with hot and cold starts, and it also gave a boost to acceleration off the line that was noticeable!

Welcome to the 21st century, you are going to love your Viper.

Just pick your track length 129" or 137"and go for it! Ripsaw II track is important. Dont want the SnoX track for trails. Too slow top end. Heated seat is nice and Qs3 shock package works great but revalve of stock shocks rear is almost as good just not adjustable. 137" is more planted especially 2017 and up. 2020 Viper or 2019 Cat7000 limited got newer Winder plastic and LED light so those are the most modern and plastic is really nice.

I have a 2014 Viper and did 700.2 miles in one day for a charity ride last year. Got up and rode another 210 miles the next day. I have also done several 500 miles/day charity rides with this sled and come out of each ride ready to go again the next day. I did this charity ride on my Nytro a few times and would never do it on that chassis again.

Last edited:

Back