• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loud humming sound @ 60 km/hr +

NyTrOMaNIaC

TY 4 Stroke Master
Guys, I've searched throughout the forum and can't seem to find a related post on here, thought I'd post a new topic to see if anyone has experienced this as well. I had our 2007 Phazer FX out on Saturday past, first time I rode it this year, and I immediately noticed a loud humming sound coming from the sled anywhere past 60 km/hr, and it got increasingly louder and higher in pitch as I rode it faster. I've heard of the dreaded track humming sound before, but I've never ridden this sled before and not been able to hear the distinct sound of the 500 twin engine. We were riding on plenty of fresh snow, probably 4 inches or more, but like I said, I couldn't even hear the exhaust over this constant annoying sound that seemed to be resonating inside my helmet ! I switched back onto my 08 FX Nytro RTX, and the difference was night and day, so I can't help but wonder why this sled is making such noise when I had ridden it plenty last year, at least 700 kms and no sign of it back then ?!?!? Can anyone suggest something I can check, the dealer is 125 kms away, and I'd like to figure it out myself if it's something simple so that I can avoid the trip and costs. Appreciate the help guys ! ;)!

My 2007 FX makes the same loud humming noise. I have 1500 miles on it and still have the original sliders. All I can say is that it is loud, its going to make me lose my hearing!!! The only thing I can think of is that it is the sound of the idler wheels spinning since the sliders are just about worn out. I don't remember it as being as loud when it was new. Definately not engine noise!

every sled makes this sounds. thing with the phazer is its motor harmonics dont cancle it out as good at most other sleds do. 2 strokes cancle it the best. thats why alot of people complain of track noise when they go 4 stroke.

The thing is, I've ran this sled last year in all kinds of snow conditions, over 700 kms last season myself, and it never sounded like this before, so I'm very familiar with the sound of the sled, and this is definitely something I would have noticed. I expect a bit of track noise as with all sleds, but it's not normal on this particular sled that we own, something is surely not right. I'm calling the dealer to see what he has to say....

Called the dealer, said to check the sealed bearing on the drive train behind the secondary, could have possibly failed and is on it's way out. Other than that, gonna check the chaincase tensioner bolt, and the idler wheels for possible need of adjustment/replacement. If anyone else has any suggestions or has experienced this or something similar, please add your response. Thanks !

Also check to see if your limiter strap has moved to the side and is hitting the drive lugs in track where it wraps around the lower crossbar.

cannondale27 said:
Also check to see if your limiter strap has moved to the side and is hitting the drive lugs in track where it wraps around the lower crossbar.

Will do ! Thanks for your suggestions ;)!

Weapon X said:
What about doin a full clipped track I think thats where a good amount of sound is comin from.

My track is fully clipped and I run it very loose (to prevent slide wear).

Took notice last weekend, although the conditions were hard pack. It's really loud over 60km/hr. I think my noise is from the loose track.

Back