• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Making turbo kit

tylerearl88 said:
Ok I know that the Garrett t25 comes on Mazda 3 and 6 speeds. If it would be easier to use one of these I can do that. I only want to make a 180-200hp kit(rear mount). I have built pull trucks and other vehicles and understand how costs can skyrocket. I figure even if my estimate of how much this is going to cost multiplied by 4 I would still be less or breaking even with the cost of buying a kit. From what I have seen these kits are 4-5 grand before taxes and shipping. Again I understand the work and costs involved but I still want to go threw with it. So if there is anyone out there who would like to give me some helpfully
information I would really appretiate it.

P.s. For my desired hp level is the gt25 the turbo I should be getting? Or should I be getting another turbo?

wrong the t25 comes on mazdaspeed PROTEGE`S not the mazdaspeed 3 and 6. they use a bigger ihi turbo, dont remember the exact number right now.

boyko - please add your location to your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management

It took ya a while to to catch up to me, lol

tylerearl88 do yourself a favor and do the head shim and the cam timing, your going to have the thing half tore down already. I do not know of any other part that you can add (on anything) for under a 100 bucks that will give you a solid +50 hp, it is a little cushier on the motor, just don’t get greedy with the boost. Study up on it, not that hard to do if you have been into a few motor before.

If you have ever been in a motor. take your time and you can figure out cam timing and headshim, it was the best thing I ever did, If I hadent I would be broke right now from running race gas all season, it was easy to do, and held up all season, not a single problem.

as far as all the details, take your time and do things right... It WILL bite you in the arse if you cut corners, I know on my build it did... but homebuilt is super fun, so get after it!!

I was thinking that I should probably do the head shim and the timing at the same time. I do have knowledge on the workings of motors so I'm pretty sure I can do it myself. Will I be able to find instructions on doing the timing and the head shim on this website? or do you know where I could get some? What boost/hp should i be running after doing this? Will I still be ok with the mitsubishi 16t?

Thanks for the info and please keep it coming.

not sure what your elevation is, but with headshim and cam timing, pump fuel will get you most likely around 10-12# is your running rearmount.. not exactly sure again depending on elevation and setup.. either way.. 10# at 9k feet in the hills is a blast.. and the 16t is good to high 200's for HP.. so 18# or so, give or take.. more boost then most will ever even want to ride more then for a few seconds.

and as far as cam timing, im no help on an apex... i think thats what you said it was on.. headshim. its easy. take a stock gasket(new one) drill out the little dimples that hold the 3 layers togeter.. and take 2 of them and sandwich the shim.. torqe to factory spec, drip oil on the threads. then go back and losen 1/4 turn then retorque.. mine all went a bit past the 1/4 to retorqe meaning it got some stretch out of the bolt.. less likely to lift the head.

If you can get one Alpine turbos put out a video on installing the head shim & turbo. The turbo part wont help it's for a front mount but the head shim part will.

I'm building a kit this summer actually for my Apex, I'm probably 50% done at the current momment. I'm using a Impulse mid mount header, Rev tank, Boss seat, custom everything else. I'm using a intercooler.
Sea level operation is really no different. You need more fuel and can't run as high of boost. But your talking low boost so it shouldn't be a problem. For fuel control I'm more than likely gonna run a PC3 with wideband conmmand, lcd screen, timing control.

TurboMatt said:
I'm building a kit this summer actually for my Apex, I'm probably 50% done at the current momment. I'm using a Impulse mid mount header, Rev tank, Boss seat, custom everything else. I'm using a intercooler.
Sea level operation is really no different. You need more fuel and can't run as high of boost. But your talking low boost so it shouldn't be a problem. For fuel control I'm more than likely gonna run a PC3 with wideband conmmand, lcd screen, timing control.

I would love to see some pics of that project.

I have done some looking around and I think I want to do a head shim, valve timing, fuel pump ,regulator and run 8-10 lbs of boost. If the calculator at the top of this forum is correct I should be at 195- 210 hp. I need to know:

Do I need to remove the engine from the sled to change the head gasket or can I do it with it in the sled?

What psi and volume does the fuel pump need to supply?

What should the regulator be set at?

Should I have a seperate oil pump and tank for the turbo?

Where do I get the coolant supply for the turbo?

And again any extra info is awesome.

Thanks.

Have you ever installed a turbo kit at least?

building a turbo kit with no experience... I would not like to try this.

You can do head shim in the sled, but if you want to pull engine, then it is a good time to put in solid motor mounts.
Not sure on regulator or fuel pump pressures, but call any of the vendors on this site and they can set you up with what you need with out any problems.

If you are doing rear mount you will need a pump to return oil, if you are doing front mount or mid mount you do not need a pump, jut gravity feed it to the gear reduction cover. Make sure you use a oil pressure restrictor to lower pressure going into turbo.

Coolant lines are good from the T-stat housing, the 1/2" hose pointing down is a good place to pull good volume, or the 1/4" hose coming from the carb rack will work also.

Back