• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Max17 First lake run....painful.

I took mine out to try it, but didn't like the negative effect on handling. I want to be able to turn while trail riding aggressively and keeping the power on.
Quick scenario,....I ride a lot in Vilas co. Wis. (Mostly) trails can be very technical. Full of narrow trails with switchbacks & elevation changes. And in most cases both.
Imagine coming around a 10' (or less) wide, blind corner, full of ice. Sleds are 4' wide. Not much room left as just one of the two sleds comes sliding in sideways.
Lol.
It took me 25yrs to just be the bigger man and prepare myself to go up the berm, if necessary. Lol.
Anyway, I trail ride like an 80yo with a disability. Lol.
Powering thru corners is a thing of the past. Concentrating on straight line performance is a safer bet, for me, in the area I ride.

Don't push the fun button so hard and fast! LOL.. Sometimes you just got to pooch it to the bar. I think a little less aggressive pull works better IMO.. Try easing it to SLIGHTLY.. Otherwise if your trying to keep the skis lower to the ground I would say you want the blocks in..
But, jon....its so much fun to stick it to the bar and let it all hang out. Lol. If needed, I will compromise. I've got some ideas to play with. So ill investigate those to the fullest.

Quick scenario,....I ride a lot in Vilas co. Wis. (Mostly) trails can be very technical. Full of narrow trails with switchbacks & elevation changes. And in most cases both.
Imagine coming around a 10' (or less) wide, blind corner, full of ice. Sleds are 4' wide. Not much room left as just one of the two sleds comes sliding in sideways.
Lol.
It took me 25yrs to just be the bigger man and prepare myself to go up the berm, if necessary. Lol.
Anyway, I trail ride like an 80yo with a disability. Lol.
Powering thru corners is a thing of the past. Concentrating on straight line performance is a safer bet, for me, in the area I ride.
I ride allot in Sawyer county and can relate to the tight switchbacks and narrow trails in lots of places. Most of the time, I am leading the group which I've come to not like. I've almost been picked off by an out-of-control on-coming so many times! I've had to learn how to take it up high into the berms or even into woods to avoid being hit. Guys even have skidded past me sideways on the wrong side of the trail. So, my sled has to be set to have instant turning available even though I would prefer a little more give. Makes me plenty nervous and detracts from pleasure of riding these missiles. I have to ride like there's an out-of-control sled coming around every corner. Don't like it but that's how it is. I even had one sled fly over me in the air on a trail with some huge whoops. I crouched down on my seat to avoid having his track hit my helmet. Guy didn't stop.

I've had to learn how to take it up high into the berms or even into woods to avoid being hit. Guys even have skidded past me sideways on the wrong side of the trail. So, my sled has to be set to have instant turning available even though I would prefer a little more give. Makes me plenty nervous and detracts from pleasure of riding these missiles. I have to ride like there's an out-of-control sled coming around every corner. Don't like it but that's how it is.
Agree 100%
Had two different guys come thru a blind corner and the only thing that kept our skis from getting tangled up was timing. One maybe two seconds difference and the outcome would have been tragic.
This is the look they gave me, as they were tapping their brakes and trying to bring the sled back over to their side of the trail....ugh!
I now ride during the week and take the trails less populated. And guess who's following my lead on that?!?!
Night rides are the most enjoyment.
article-2408778-1B95B51C000005DC-103_634x449~2_copy_317x224.jpg

I have to ride like there's an out-of-control sled coming around every corner.
Same here.. Never seen pressure like we have(this year) in upper Michigan/northern WI.. We are on our sleds @ 7:00. AM. The trails are destroyed by 1:00 pm on most days.. Not so much early in the week but Friday or Saturday destroyed.. Way more riders/sleds right now.. Not enough areas with snow to spread people out.. Grooming can not keep up with pressure IMO.. Had not one but 2 guys bust the stop sign last weekend and come sliding by me.. YES a 3 way stop.. If you ride around Sayner area on a Saturday you better be ready at EVERY blind turn and they have lots!

Same here.. Never seen pressure like we have(this year) in upper Michigan/northern WI.. We are on our sleds @ 7:00. AM. The trails are destroyed by 1:00 pm on most days.. Not so much early in the week but Friday or Saturday destroyed.. Way more riders/sleds right now.. Not enough areas with snow to spread people out.. Grooming can not keep up with pressure IMO.. Had not one but 2 guys bust the stop sign last weekend and come sliding by me.. YES a 3 way stop.. If you ride around Sayner area on a Saturday you better be ready at EVERY blind turn and they have lots!
When the East Coast does not get snow they all head to the UP.
From Philly to New York. And they don't come alone, they're bringing the house. Lol

ive pulled my limiters up 1 hole from factory and it stil lifts the ski's, but a nice way to tell... is on a flat floor... with your front end set where you like.... lift rear of sled of ground and then set your camera up on floor... and as you set sled back down, you want the WHOLE track to touch at same time... not the front then back...this will give you best on ground traction.
Max Rolph, going to do this tomorrow. When doing this, what gets adjusted? I assume limiter straps?

From Philly to New York. And they don't come alone, they're bringing the house. Lol
Lot's of them head up to Northern Maine also, but either way, weekday riding is the way to go! Leave the weekends to the weekend warriors, much like I had to be when I was a working stiff!

Now I migrate to locations that have very fast trails with a bit of everything, except for sled traffic! Have had mine set up for these medium size trails for quite a few years now, and it takes it well with the straights, bends and rollers!

We do travel to the Big trails of the County, and I imagine that they are a bit similar to what you guys ride in the U.P., Lot's of everything, but especially LONG fast RRbeds to! Can't wait to head up later on this season...

Lol...The Tug Hillers! A great place to learn snocross. Although better grooming these days, but the trails are destroyed by noon, friday sat and forget sunday. Unfortunately every year several die in that relatively small area east of Lake Ontario.

Lot's of them head up to Northern Maine also, but either way, weekday riding is the way to go! Leave the weekends to the weekend warriors, much like I had to be when I was a working stiff!

Now I migrate to locations that have very fast trails with a bit of everything, except for sled traffic! Have had mine set up for these medium size trails for quite a few years now, and it takes it well with the straights, bends and rollers!

We do travel to the Big trails of the County, and I imagine that they are a bit similar to what you guys ride in the U.P., Lot's of everything, but especially LONG fast RRbeds to! Can't wait to head up later on this season...
The UP is flat and fast. But that's not exactly what's bringing riders together in bus loads...
1,000's upon 1,000's of acres to ride off trail. (Mostly state owned property)
They start with the service roads and the power lines then scatter anywhere and everywhere.
I think they pretend they're in Wyoming on some mountain side, when in reality they're in the middle of a hilly field.

The UP is flat and fast. But that's not exactly what's bringing riders together in bus loads...
1,000's upon 1,000's of acres to ride off trail. (Mostly state owned property)
They start with the service roads and the power lines then scatter anywhere and everywhere.
I think they pretend they're in Wyoming on some mountain side, when in reality they're in the middle of a hilly field.
Off trail and rx1s dont mix. Hit a buried log that snapped off that little casting flange on my 03 and...yup....busted sump! (cover)
Blowed her up too as no lights came on. Just lost all the oil in the sump. Almost went back to ski doo.

Lol...The Tug Hillers! A great place to learn snocross. Although better grooming these days, but the trails are destroyed by noon, friday sat and forget sunday. Unfortunately every year several die in that relatively small area east of Lake Ontario.
unfortunately and sadly we had a fatality in western Maine in the town of Andover. Experienced sledder just miscalculated the ramp to a bridge. I nearly always stop my sled for oncoming traffic, best to keep it safe but as stated here the blind corners and high speeds is a combo for a problem.

yes limiter, and your front track shock should have spring adjusted one turn in from rattling loose.
FYI....I'm using a 160/260 cat spring with three turns of preload. Worked good for me when I was stock power.
Keep it or switch back to stock?

Back