• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical boost gauge install help

gpxsrx

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
way to many 2 strokes
Just installed a mechanical boost gauge on my sr viper installed line to the long T that comes off the throttle bodies but getting no reading. What am I missing ? Bruce

Just installed a mechanical boost gauge on my sr viper installed line to the long T that comes off the throttle bodies but getting no reading. What am I missing ? Bruce
How are you testing?

Is the boost gauge run by vacuum or pressure ?
i have the gauge hooked up to the T that comes off the throttle bodies start machine raise rpm but no movement on needle.
Now if i blow into tube needle moves.

Boost probably won't build until the engine is under load. Take it for a rip across a field, it should work fine.

Your gauge reads 'relative' pressure. At sea level, we have 14.6 psi of air pressure from the weight of the atmosphere above us. This changes with elevation and weather to a small extent but according to your gauge the pressure is 0.

In your engine, the action of a piston moving will create a low pressure zone in your intake that will actually read as a negative number on a gauge capable of reading vacuum. This means the pressure in the intake is below 14.6 psi and is 100% normal and necessary to the physical function of an engine (the pressure differential is what gets air in and out of a motor).

Actual boost of say 5# means your intake is seeing an absolute pressure of 19.6 psi and that will take time and load for your turbo to develop.

Some gauges read both pressure and vacuum, other just pressure. So if u have a gauge that reads just pressure you won't get a reading unless sled is in motion with a load on the engine like mentioned above. Even revving up the sled won't give a positive reading, sled will more than likely need to be ridden at 1/2 throttle or better before there is any actual pressure that will be readable.

Back