• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Miles before turning 10k RPM's

srx70024

Pro
How many miles does the Apex/RX-1 engine usually need before it is turning 10k ~ 10,500 rpms ? Few hundred ?

On a side note, I got to put some miles on my GT today. OMG !! Wild, awesome, wicked, intense, love it. I was concerned about going to a 4 stroke, no more concerns. This thing pulls like a frieght train.
These are really quiet too, which I like. I had my brother take it across the field and was surprised on how quiet it was. This IS a good thing.

I'm glad I bought one. Good job Yamaha. Thanks to all the veteran 4 stroke owner for their honest opinions on the RX-1's and proto Apex's when I was researching the 4-strokes earlier this year. Good advice by all you were right on the money.

;)!

Glad you like it,i like mine too,and i now have 33 miles of wfo blasts for 10-15 sec. and it is now going to 10,000 and feels much better,i just wanted to do this to seat the rings now when i go to jackman tomorrow we can rip it up for much longer than 15 sec. these sleds seems to stay much cooler than the old rx1 and i am thinking the fan/radieator is alot of help. ;)!

My RX-1 took several hundred about 300 to start to loosen up. Unfortunately the rear suspension took me almost 800 miles to figure out to be able to ride consistently at those RPMs WOT so I could not really stare at the Tach much to see what I was pulling. Im glad you feel the grunt of the 4 stroke wide power band at such an early time of ownership. Rode my 03 on lakes for 2 weeks not breaking 5,000 rpms too worried about break in. My 1st new sled and a 4 stroke at that.

I also noticed how cool it was running. I was really ripping into it, would bring it to a idle and was surprised how cool the heat exchangers were. I was thinking of putting a rear exchanger on it, but don't know if I'll need it.

You don't need it the added radiator actually cools better than the sleds with the rear exchanger.

mnmsnowbeast said:
Glad you like it,i like mine too,and i now have 33 miles of wfo blasts for 10-15 sec. and it is now going to 10,000 and feels much better,i just wanted to do this to seat the rings now when i go to jackman tomorrow we can rip it up for much longer than 15 sec. these sleds seems to stay much cooler than the old rx1 and i am thinking the fan/radieator is alot of help. ;)!

When you get back can you shoot me a PM and let me know how the snow is in Jackan?

Thanks

Bill

I've got about 30 miles on it and have given it minimal wot bursts up to 10,500.

This thing rocks !!! My arms are 2 inches longer now.

;)!

i dont know about yamahas break in procedure, they basically want you to run at 6000 rpms for the first 100 miles and then at 8000rpms to 300 miles, thats ridiculous, at 6000 rpms your riding at 30 mph, i dont know about you guys but i cant ride like that, i just put 225 on my attak and rode it pretty hard but no long full throttle runs, (seen 108 mph on gps on short blast) and my tach is hitting 10500 and was hitting 10500 long before the 225 mark

ironviper said:
i dont know about yamahas break in procedure, they basically want you to run at 6000 rpms for the first 100 miles and then at 8000rpms to 300 miles, thats ridiculous, at 6000 rpms your riding at 30 mph, i dont know about you guys but i cant ride like that, i just put 225 on my attak and rode it pretty hard but no long full throttle runs, (seen 108 mph on gps on short blast) and my tach is hitting 10500 and was hitting 10500 long before the 225 mark
Short blast either my gps is gettin shot or my speedo is way off,cause we had to run 123+ on sled to manage 108-109 gps,so what speed was your speedo showing for your gps to read 108??? :die

I'm gonna break mine in pretty hard also. I am a firm believer in the aggressive break in. Not ragging it, just doing some good engine loading pulls to seat those rings quickly and completely.
It sounds like you got a good one Ironviper. Can't wait to try mine. I ride out of Fife lake a lot so I know those trails well.
Have a great season!!!! :Rockon:

i was actually seeing 127 to 128 on speedo, and when i say short blast i dont meen 3 seconds, we were on a county road going 60 to 70 mph and then hit the throttle for 7 or 8 seconds.. attak, yeah i ride that way alot also, its a great area too ride for lower mi,

Speedo has been showing between 11-13% off according to all the testing I've done so far.

Hi allen do you have either traps or gps/radar to confirm your speedo readings,and have you seen any speed above 109 gps at whatever speedo was reading..

I'm currently breaking in my new Attak as we had snow here in MI over the Thanksgiving holiday. It has since melted!!! Anyway I have not been above 6000 RPM and have about 50 miles on it and at that RPM I get about 25 MPH maximum. I want to follow the corerct break-in procedure but 25 MPH is killing me. My 2004 Ski-Doo 800 HO will run 50 MPH at 6000 RPM. I can't wait until the first 100 miles are done so I can run it to 8000 RPM!!

Back