• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

mirrors

i'm pretty sure that here in Quebec you are required by law to have at least one mirror.......as far as using them i really like them on our long bagger trips whre i try to keep the guy behind me in view every so often without having to turn around.......less of a factor now since we started using communicaters........when we're honkin on it i never look at them :moon:

I have had mirrors for years and did not think I needed them, then I rode without wHAT A PAIN. I will not be with out, esp when leading with wife kids etc you know what they are doing and if I can go/lead faster.........safely for them. Yamadoo

I lost my driving buddy, when he took a bad swing and got his RX-1 stuck. I kept on going thinking he was behind me, and it was a mile or two before I realized he wasn't there. It was getting dark, and when I went back, I thought maybe he want one of several different directions we had "talked about taking" and so make a long story short, I lost him for about 2 hours. We were way back in the bush. I doubled back to a point I was "sure" he had gotten to, and still no buddy. Don't you know he was 1/2 mile further back. Finally, I decided to go back even further and there he was with the machine sticking nearly striaght up hill. He had tried to move it and it wouldn't go anywhere but deeper in the fluff.

Do you think I have mirrors now? Do you think he has mirrors now? Nice $10 jobs with double articulators so you can see what/who and how fast someone is coming up on you. Because you should not always be driving like you were running from an avalanche.

BTW, I already had those funky little tear drop mirrors that yammahopper calls mirrors. They are okay in the dark, but for really knowing what is behind you, get some real things on there. Sticking an RX-1 when you are by yourself witout a shovel, isn't much fun.

Oh, and we both have plastic shovels now too. Live and learn.

First I mounted a set of wind/brush guards on the handlebars/ then I mounted one of those bike type mirrors/ the kind that would normally go directly on the handlebar with a velcro strap/ I removed the strap and opened up the flange end of the mirror / drilled a couple holes in the flange then bolted the mirror to the wind/ brush guard/ that way the mirror is out of the way yet out far enough to give you perfect visibility/ I got the idea from a guy I met who had made a bracket out of brushed alumimum to hold just the mirror itself/ however he was a metal worker with the tools and the stock to work with so his was much neater looking than the way I did mine / either way it seems like the right answer/ later/ jim-bob

I rode with the hand mirrors for years. It wasn't until I rode my buddy's sled with mounted mirrors until I realized how crappy the hand ones really are. I always had the question "Why do you always put your hand up?" etc. Last season I mounted a set of real mirrors...WOW they are awesome...what a difference. They don't look "cool" but man are they ever helpful.

While we are on this subject anyone have any ideas for good mountable mirrors? There doesn't seem to be anything from Yamaha that actually work well on the RX1. I had the touring mirrors but ended up mounting them upside down so I can see properly.

Now....I will never "LOOK BACK" :wink: :wink: :wink:

I've used all types of mirrors and once you have them it's hard to do without. I've used the hand mirrors over the years but they do not compare to "good" fixed mounted types. That said Yamaha seems to struggle with mirrors on sleds. I put a set of the new 2004 style on my sled and while they are o.k. they are not great. Had I mounted them where Yamaha instructions suggested they would have been useless. Overly priced as well I might add. The 2005 style looks promising and should work. I can only imagine the price though. I also wonder if the 2005 type will alllow existing covers to fit as the mirrors are at windshield height.

Has anyone bought the yamaha convex mirrors

I just bought 03 RX1 and would like to put mirrors on just wondering who has tried the convex mirrors that are tucked in behind the windshield. See attached picture

Ski-Dog said:
I've used all types of mirrors and once you have them it's hard to do without. I've used the hand mirrors over the years but they do not compare to "good" fixed mounted types. That said Yamaha seems to struggle with mirrors on sleds. I put a set of the new 2004 style on my sled and while they are o.k. they are not great. Had I mounted them where Yamaha instructions suggested they would have been useless. Overly priced as well I might add. The 2005 style looks promising and should work. I can only imagine the price though. I also wonder if the 2005 type will alllow existing covers to fit as the mirrors are at windshield height.
I priced 2005 mirrows for my vector..$79.00 each... Hmmmmmm Crazy, I'm still looking for other options. Any Ideas? MM.

Re: Has anyone bought the yamaha convex mirrors

Polly said:
I just bought 03 RX1 and would like to put mirrors on just wondering who has tried the convex mirrors that are tucked in behind the windshield. See attached picture

Yeah...I looked at these too last year. They were on backorder and when they finally came in I heard from those who had them that they were not good at all. I can't figure out why we can't get a good mirror to work well on this sled for a reasonable cost. I will be trying Royal Distributing here in Canada. Check out their website...

http://www.royaldistributing.com They have a ton of mirrors on Pages 227-228.

NOTE: Everything is in $CDN so to figure out the price in $US click here...
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=&s=CAD&t=USD&c=0

Yamaha will be offering a new mirror kit this fall to fit all the RX/RS series sleds that will be along the lines of the ones that will be coming stock on the 2005 RS Venture snowmobiles. The kits (2 mirrors with hardware) will retail for $79.95 Here a link to what they look like on the new Ventures http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/Un ... 6&iid=5585

Thanks..... I just can't ride without mirrors. MM.

Port-Parts said:
Yamaha will be offering a new mirror kit this fall to fit all the RX/RS series sleds that will be along the lines of the ones that will be coming stock on the 2005 RS Venture snowmobiles. The kits (2 mirrors with hardware) will retail for $79.95 Here a link to what they look like on the new Ventures http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/Un ... 6&iid=5585

Polly, I have the mirrors in your pic. They are not great. You mostly see your hands. If you remove your hand and adjust your position you can see what is behind you. Not bad at night. Not even close to the stock mirrors on a v-max 600 or 700. One thing though, I thought that they were the ones that didn't change the look of the sled. If they had made them such that the mirror part would have had some adjustment they would have been much better.
The new venture mirrors will be very functional but I don't know about the look. Too bad they weren't detachable, especially for getting a stock RX-1 cover over them. Those windshield mounted cat mirrors are tempting....

Back