• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Missing top end RPM

Madslynge

Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamha Sr VIper 2015 162 mtx mcx 270 turbo
Hi guys. I'm all new to turbo 4-strokes, and noticed that i only would get around 8.000 rpm max with my 2015 MCX 270 Viper. From what i understand i should be up around 8.900-9.000 rpms ?? It pulls hard, up to that point.

Where should i start, and what should i look at ? Is it a clutching problem. From what i can see it has the Black Diamond clutching, i don't know much more than this. Any advice and pointers would be very appreicated.

Best regards

Post some pictures of your clutches and someone might be able to help. Also any other details like track length, type, studs, belt, gears.

1st thing you should do is ensure that you can turn the track by hand to eliminate any drag in the rear.

You are correct in that you need more RPM. You say that you are new to turbo four strokes. If the snowmobile is new to you and you do not know any of the history of the clutch set up there are two possibilities. Either the belt/clutches have worn and they are no longer able to hold rpm or it’s possible that they were never setup right in the first place.

Start by cleaning the clutches and checking for any obviously worn components, sacked or broken springs, etc. Verify that the driven clutch has the proper pretension wrap. I have seen people that have taken them apart and don’t know how to put them back together correctly. I would start with a 3/3 or a 6/1 wrap. Install a brand new belt and take the time to break it in. You can gain RPM by reducing weight of your primary clutch arms, decreasing helix angle, or trying stiffer springs. It is hard give specific recommendations without knowing exactly what you have now.

Back