• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

Yeah I put in 165's. I'm positive I did the correct ones. I took out 135's and they were in the long extensions that fit in the cup in the bowl with the o-ring, though I no longer run the orings because they always break and fall off.

SMOKNZ said:
I finally got me Jet's installed last night and took it for a quick ride. I have the mid bog too, once it get's past it it pull's strong. Will a clip move on the needle take care of this? I currently have no hole shot what so ever. Rev's up to about 6-8K studders's like it wants to do something and then the power hits hard and spins the track like mad (no studs). Wish I had that grunt off the line.

Bill

Is your sled a 03 as well. Other people with the mid bog problem had mixed up their power jets wth the main jets are you sure they are in the right place. You may need to go to 20 pilots and 170 mains. There was also a problem with the oring on the 03 that would cause the sled to burble on the mountain sleds in high climbs or hitting bumps this may be something to look at also. I am not sure if an oring was taken out on the bottom of the main or one was put in you will have to search that to find out.

Jigger said:
Rode the sled hard today -30 C. I developed the mid bog. It occurred when I was going up the steeper hills coming off then back onto the throttle. I'm not sure if the problem is with the air box mod or my under tunnel exhaust. Maybe not enough back pressure on the glass pack? Any ideas. Sled ran strong as long as I didn't go off and on the throttle full to 3/4 to full.

There was a problem with the 03 on steep climbs and bumps do a search for this fix it most likely has nothing to do with the mod.

Sled dog. The 03 mnt had a float bowl upgrade because of steep climbs. I've ridden this area before the mod (air box) and never had the mid throttle bog. I may have to change the pilots. Maybe the carbs need a cleaning. maybe I need to change the pilots. I'll try a couple of things. It will be at least two weeks kinda of busy.

Well it sure seems funny how one guys posts his is running no problems then others posts that they have a mid range bog. It must depend on how much they are opening their air box up. You may have to go to 170's and 20 pilots as well seeing as your 800 feet lower elevation than I.

The bottom of my airbox is pretty much identical to yours. I may have added more holes on top cover by the foam though. To test the theory of being to lean, I should be able to cover some of the holes up to restrict some of the air and get it to not stumble, correct. When I get to the top end when I loose power, if I slightly apply the choke and if it get's better this would be an indication of this as well. Will the jump from 165 to 170 be enough should I go bigger (Since I can't get the 170's as they are on backorder)? I am still running the stock plugs as well, but have a set of CR10EK's to put in.

SMOKNZ said:
The bottom of my airbox is pretty much identical to yours. I may have added more holes on top cover by the foam though. To test the theory of being to lean, I should be able to cover some of the holes up to restrict some of the air and get it to not stumble, correct. When I get to the top end when I loose power, if I slightly apply the choke and if it get's better this would be an indication of this as well. Will the jump from 165 to 170 be enough should I go bigger (Since I can't get the 170's as they are on backorder)? I am still running the stock plugs as well, but have a set of CR10EK's to put in.

Yes you can plug some holes and test for a lean. If it corrects itself you would have to go to 170's and 20's and I would run the cr10ek regardless. Keep us posted what color are your plugs by the way?

Hi Boys ! We had the same problem on the 05 rx1 , yet my warrior was fine , both sleds were done at the same time ( jets and air box mod ) we pulled the carbs and cleaned them for at least the third time,( twice before this ride) and then it was fine . hope this helps . I have 2 rides in as of my last post , both of them bad . the conditions were so bad on the last ride we put on less than 20 miles . We packed up went home and got drunk ( had to ! one bent steering knuckle each not to mention other damage ) The good news is this air box mod rocks !! When we get some real riding in I will get back with more up dates . Hey smoknz when I needed my 170 jets I got them from port yamaha , just typed in mikuni jets ( they may have been EBC brand ) you need small round style mains and the pilots are for " BS CV style carb . Drunken old bastard on a warrior

Pulled the plugs tonight, all were tan/orange color. I put the CR10EK plugs in their place. Also pulled the carbs and cleaned them as noted above. I also moved the needle's up one clip notch. The mid bog is GONE!!! the top end bog at 85mph is GONE!!! The thing flat out hauls. I'm so happy, this is the best the sled has ran since I have owned it! Thanks for all the help, and hope this helps someone else who may have had a problem with the mod!

Bill

SMOKNZ said:
Pulled the plugs tonight, all were tan/orange color. I put the CR10EK plugs in their place. Also pulled the carbs and cleaned them as noted above. I also moved the needle's up one clip notch. The mid bog is GONE!!! the top end bog at 85mph is GONE!!! The thing flat out hauls. I'm so happy, this is the best the sled has ran since I have owned it! Thanks for all the help, and hope this helps someone else who may have had a problem with the mod!

Bill

Right on that explains why some are good to go right off the bat and the next guy is having mid bog issues. Enjoy your new sled and tweak your clutching to take full advantage of your extra HP.

For everyone doing this mod I cant say this enough make sure that all and I mean all of the airbox is free of the plastic cutting debris. Plastic is not going to disolve if it gets into the little ports of your carbs. It is essential to make sure to file all the edges smooth and then spray with wd40 and clean then clean again then blow dry with compressed air to make double sure all the little plastic dust is gone. I think this is why so many are having to clean their carbs so much prior to the mod working for them.

Have an 05 RX-1 Mtn with K&N's
Looking at going with a Modded airbox. To many issues with tuning the filters.

Anyone have a modded box they want to get rid of with all the jetting & springs needed?

Back