• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Moto's Meager Mods - Nytro MTX

Subframe 101

All you need to straighten a subframe is some chain, a Peterbuilt, and a Suburban (in 4 wheel drive - or else it will spin on the concrete!)

straight3.JPG

straight1.JPG

straight2.JPG

You should have put the following Warning as your thread title

****WARNING NOT FOR DEALERS EYES!!!!!!!**********

Boy, I wish I would have thought of that before worked on mine. Now get that frame off and brace it up.

mtdream said:

Well, as you know Jeremy, this "homebrew" fix was a necessity due to no fault of my own. The weekend before the repair, I had left on a strictly trail riding trip. I let a friend ride my sled, and about 14 miles into the ride, we had stopped for our periodic girl scout cookie and kool-aid break. My riding partner that was on my sled, Sister Mary Magdalene noticed one ski seemed further forward than the other on the Nytro.

You might only imagine my surprise at this situation, as I have never even had my sled above 35 MPH, much less anywhere other than on the trail. My first inclination was to blame the small passel of pine cones we had ridden through only a couple of miles back. Sister Mary however, reminded me of the two 4" drifts we had pulled the sleds off of the trailer onto.

As I repeated hail Mary after hail Mary, I began to agree with her. There was no way a silly little pine cone could affect such a wonderful miracle of modern engineering. In addition to that, the wonderful sister must have had a divine light riding with her, and watching over her every move. This fate would be reserved for some other weaker "nun".

I don't know if it was the drift, or some other unforeseen mediocre obstacle, but it was definitely not Sister Mary's fault!

|

Crewchief47 said:
Boy, I wish I would have thought of that before worked on mine. Now get that frame off and brace it up.

Even though I made it "rideable" again, it is far from "right" and I think bracing it as-is would be an exercise in futility....

MotoPsycho said:
mtdream said:

Well, as you know Jeremy, this "homebrew" fix was a necessity due to no fault of my own. The weekend before the repair, I had left on a strictly trail riding trip. I let a friend ride my sled, and about 14 miles into the ride, we had stopped for our periodic girl scout cookie and kool-aid break. My riding partner that was on my sled, Sister Mary Magdalene noticed one ski seemed further forward than the other on the Nytro.

You might only imagine my surprise at this situation, as I have never even had my sled above 35 MPH, much less anywhere other than on the trail. My first inclination was to blame the small passel of pine cones we had ridden through only a couple of miles back. Sister Mary however, reminded me of the two 4" drifts we had pulled the sleds off of the trailer onto.

As I repeated hail Mary after hail Mary, I began to agree with her. There was no way a silly little pine cone could affect such a wonderful miracle of modern engineering. In addition to that, the wonderful sister must have had a divine light riding with her, and watching over her every move. This fate would be reserved for some other weaker "nun".

I don't know if it was the drift, or some other unforeseen mediocre obstacle, but it was definitely not Sister Mary's fault!

|

Sister Mary!! You crack me up. :jump:

Wow thought I was nuts when I got chains like that out, to straighten out my subframe. (might have hit a tree) However i tied one end to a post in the concrete and used a JD telehandler to nudge it back using the hydrolic boom. Both sides look even again!!!

For you guys using mother's (I use it also). Which are you using; the Mother's Alluminum and Magnesium polish(red/white label) or the Mother's Billet Alluminum polish (black/gold label). I have used both and found that the Billet polish gives a better shine with less effort than the Mag and Alluminum. Both are a paste and IMHO work better with the powerball than the liquid polish that comes with some of the powerball kits.

This was after 30 minutes with the Billet Polish and a Powerball in my 18V Dewalt Cordless. I use a clean 100% Cotton polishing towel to get rid of the black residue after using the powerball also. Use this method for my summer ride to polish the wheels, motor, tripple clamps and hand controls with great results also.

Jim

Attachments

• My Sled.jpg
    My Sled.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 102
  • MPI Extension.JPG
    MPI Extension.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Tunnel Polished.jpg
    Tunnel Polished.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 98
  • Summer Ride.jpg
    Summer Ride.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 98
I use the billet aluminum...really nice finish with it, and a mothers ball...

Re: Subframe 101

MotoPsycho said:
All you need to straighten a subframe is some chain, a Peterbuilt, and a Suburban (in 4 wheel drive - or else it will spin on the concrete!)

]

These are tools just about everybody has in their garage!!!

Okay, I've had a couple of questions on the rear axle.

It is entirely comprised of stock parts, with a bit of modification. The best part is... It cost me $0 and about 20 minutes, vs. the $90 axle kit.

1. I re-mounted the adjusters to the outside of the rails.

2. The one end of the axle has a bolt threaded into it - I removed the roll pin that kept the bolt in, took bolt out, drilled deeper into axle, rethreaded, cut axle to length, and reinstalled bolt and roll pin.

3. I had to cut the original "center" spacer to length
All of the existing spacers, etc. fit into place with no adjustments or trimming.

Axle3.JPG

Axle2.JPG

Axle1.JPG

Back