• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

mountain lite [pics]

jp@weknowsnow

Expert
Website
weknowsnow.com
hello all,
just wanted to say great forum here and i can't wait to catch up on all these phazer posts. i just bought a 07 mountain lite and can't wait to get it. i'm out in colorado and planning to use it for access during backcountry snowboarding... maybe towing another friend. cant wait cant wait! i'm sure i'll have some questions as this is the first sled i've ever owned.

one question off the bat, should i get ice scratchers for hard pack and sub-optimal snow conditions to keep the hifax cool?

thanks

Re: mountain lite

jp@weknowsnow said:
hello all,
just wanted to say great forum here and i can't wait to catch up on all these phazer posts. i just bought a 07 mountain lite and can't wait to get it. i'm out in colorado and planning to use it for access during backcountry snowboarding... maybe towing another friend. cant wait cant wait! i'm sure i'll have some questions as this is the first sled i've ever owned.

one question off the bat, should i get ice scratchers for hard pack and sub-optimal snow conditions to keep the hifax cool?

thanks

I wouldn't worry about ice scratchers , but if they wear quickly , I would upgrade to hiperfaxes .

electric start only, but I have started my Apex at -30 with a smaller than stock battery no problems.

I am intrested in this sled. I just don't think it will do good on the hill climbs. If you were going to get a turbo then it will be a sweet sled. Does anyone know how the turbo will effect the reliability of the motor. Will i have to do a lot of tunning or will I be able to have a shop set it up for me and just be able to turn the key and ride it all year without any problems.

It will be just as reliable as any other Yamaha Turbo sled. With a turbo and a consistant 140 HP at altitude, I think you would have to have a REALLY well set up/tuned two stroke 800 to keep up.

Once you get it dialed in, you don't have to do any more tuning. Anybody who has tuned a carbed two stroke before, knows that you have to do some maitance all season, but that's the beauty here. Dial it in properly, ride for the rest of the season.

thanks for the replies.. i'm really disappointed as i can't trust a electronic start system only, way deep in the backcountry.. this is a deal breaker for me. i guess i have to cancel my order and go with an rev 800

i feel this is a pretty stupid idea from yamaha, marketing a mountain sled for high altitude and cold weather without a manual way to start the thing. what happens if the starter breaks or something is wrong with the bat or electric system? oouch

thanks again and very disappointed

JW, I would not worry about the non manual start. Also, it is possible to pull start the clutch when the motor is warm. I do a lot of boondocking where -40 is possible every night and don't even think twice about the sled letting me down.

thanks, i really want to stick with this sled but i'm planning on camping with it in the backcountry and spending lots of time with out in very cold, high altitude places. everything i can think of logically makes me want a way to manually start the thing too.. if the dealer or yamaha can prove this is a very reliable system i might consider keeping it. i just dont want to set myself up for failure our in the BC and deep pow

are there any other manual ways to start it up?

to put it like this: the thing we are discussing now, is the excact same things that were discussed when automobiles came with electrical start only... this wouldn't be reliable etc etc...what car NOW has a different way of starting? I must say I was afraid also coming from doo, but this winter has proven me wrong...no more pull start for me... :yam:

AND: one morw thing when you go camping in the backcountry with a 2-smoke.... what if you forget to bring extra oil, sprak plugs etc?
All I'm saying man: join the new era... No more smelly two strokes... :4STroke:

thanks obr. my choice was between the rev800 and mtn lite, i really like the yam 4 stroke as i'm an avid backcountry snowboarder and i've probably logged over 150 miles in the BC this year. all hiking, skinning, and snowshoeing to get to my turns. we are kinda crazy, we hiked 8 miles round trip yesterday for 1300ft of crappy turns. so the pollution thing is big for me... i'm also a little concerned it might be under powered but i can live with that for a year or two until i get a turbo.

i'm just super worried about the non-manual start options

i understand the arguement and its a good one, its nice to hear from a former doo owner. thanks again

AkMtnMax-- i have some of the same concerns

I have an 03 RX1, it still has the OEM battery. It has started in -37F. If you are concerned, then buy an optima battery for it. It will be fine. There are guys on this site who have pull started their Rx1's. Why don't you do a poll and ask us how many have had starter or battery failure. I can't remember any.

The way I see it is most of these four strokes you couldn't pull over with a rope pull anyway. I agree there are alot who have started off the clutch but face it one can just barely pull over a Kodiack 450 with the rope pull.

I was hesident on my Vector, starting under any conditions has been a non issue. I'll never go back.

So for climbing some good hills nothing to huge and deep powder boondocking and sidehilling do you thinkI could get away with riding the sled stock for half the season or the whole season. Then get the turbo for it. I just don't want to get on a turboed sled that I haven't every spent anytime on and try to learn to ride it. I also wonder how the sled will compare to my 01 mm700. I love that thing and don't want to get rid of it but It is time for something new as I have had the sled for 4 seasons.

AKMTNMAX, the mt lite will not dissapoint you at all. I am coming from a IQ 800 mod sled that i thought was a blast to ride until i got a chance to ride the mt lite. What a blast. I have never had more fun on a sled. I too had a mm700 and its hands down a lot more fun to ride than that sled or i wouldnt be selling my iq for a sled with half the power.

Back