• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MP for Ice Fishing

Id skip the spark plugs, being four strokes the plugs aren't the maintenance item you might think,

I carry at least 50 feet of heavy rope, persig loops, a rope puller(as opposed to a cable puller) and an 8 inch ice screw. And plastic bags for my feet because that gear will allow one guy to get the sled out of any amount of slush/overflow but you are going to be wet if it is over your boots ... lovely I know. Try to keep the mainline dry if below freezing and have several loops because they will ice up too.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-patterns/

That is a link to the best site I have found to date on ice safety and cold water immersion. If you are out there enough it isn't a case of if but when. Being prepared is everything, especially if you go out alone. If you get soaked and are alone getting a fire going is tough, on big water you can freeze before you even get to shore. Half a liter of gas in a fuel bottle is a big leg up in an emergency.

As for fire I carry a long rag and matches as one can dunk the rag in the gas tank and use it to start a pile of sticks for a quick fire starter. I will have to check if I still have all that stuff. Thankfully never had to use this trick but an old buddy, now passed , always talked about it.

Thanks for that one, way handier than what I suggested. The best ideas are so obvious once they are pointed out.

I missed your questions on the scratchers. No heavy wear on the tips but in 14k kms I don't think this sled has even crossed a road. I'll take a picture when I get a chance but I can tell you I just picked the foremost handy spot and drilled holes in the rails. I've never gone overboard trying to get them as far forward a humanly possible.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help. Scratchers arrived Friday and will install next weekend. When installed, I will post pictures of my slush box and final build out. Now to order the RED fuel pump relay and spare starter relay. After that just waiting on ice.

As for fire I carry a long rag and matches as one can dunk the rag in the gas tank and use it to start a pile of sticks for a quick fire starter. I will have to check if I still have all that stuff. Thankfully never had to use this trick but an old buddy, now passed , always talked about it.
I have a small clear hose, as I put into tank and hold thumb over end while Dipping. Remove hose and lift thumb when wanting to release gas for fire starter. Works well and no risk of having rag fall into your tank. But rags can be compact and easy to store. What ever works for you as long as fire is going to roast the sausage!

Great thread guys, lots of useful info.......great example.

Slush Kit - Harbor fright winch, tow strap and jumper cables. The plan is to hook the tow strap to the skis(steering knuckle), hook the winch to the tow strap, drill hole, drop anchor through the hole and winch the sled out. Since the winch will be out in front of the sled, use the jumper cables to hook up to battery.

Attachments

• IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 218
Your going to look like a genius the first time you need to pull that out.

Ice scratchers installed. Hard to see but there is plenty of clearance when up from the boogie. Also got a weatherproof eye glass case for my extra relay, plugs and sockets.

Now will a YTX20H-BS YUASA fit in a Venture MP?

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpg
    IMG_3637.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3638.jpg
    IMG_3638.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3639.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 216
Really enjoying the ride for ice fishing. It seems top heavy!

Attachments

• Sled.jpg
    Sled.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 339

Back