• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI supercharger battery

chuckr

Extreme
Ok I seem to be having bad luck with these batteries
The first one when I installed the supercharger lasted 2 1/2 season and that is A little quick to go out but I left it installed ( on its side and it leaked the gel)and stored in a hot garage so that is my bad

Now #2 I got 11 months ago finished the season took it stored it in cool place on a battery tender. Finished installing my new a/f gauge installed the battery In started fine. tuned my idle. it sat for a few days went to start it and nothing. checked it and there was 1 volt on the battery
Attempted to charge and get a code for an open cell

So is anyone else having problems out of these batteries should I just expect
To replace this every year when I change the s/c oil

I contacted MPI and someone going to get back to me

Thats odd maybe they dont like maintenance I haven't touched mine in 3 years, sits in the hot storage shed, never put a battery tender or charage on it ever but I do start it in the summer often.

Just fired it up last week for the first time since April and it worked perfect.

I thought they were a better design then the factory so I wasn't planning on replacing anytime soon.

Yeah

I came here from alaska there I had no problem with the battery

where I live it is only about a 1-2 hour drive and we did that in alaska most of the time

OK

well not sure why it drained the battery but i got a charge on it.
kept putting it on the charger would get maybe a .5 volt of a charge on it then the charger would give me a fault for an open cell. Repeated this till i got it over 6 volts then it charged all the way

not sure if i trust it.I am going to put the meter on it and watch it for a week and see what happens before i order another one.

battery

I guess I've been real lucky. Still using my battery from 07. It did go dead over a summer but took a charge fine.

still holding

Still holding a charge

Just got off the phone with Darrin and he said it common that these battery do not want to take a charge if the volts get really low. He explained that you have to cycle charge till you get 6-9 volts then they charge fine

maybe i shutdown with the button and not the key and a relay stuck and drained the battery

When you started it the first time you likely drained the battery and voltage dropped.

During storage corrosion may form on the plates inside the cells, cycling or shock charging will usually shake off such deposit from the cell walls.
A good electronic charger like Ultimate III or better will awake a drained battery, most of the time...

Back