• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My experience with over 800 miles on the fx nytro

GT03235

Expert
This is my first post so i would like to say Hi to everyone My name is Garry and i originally come from wales in the uk where sleds just dont exist :o| Just a little about myself i raced for kawasaki uk in the 80's and have over 20years of enduros and motocross experience. The reason i mention that is i do know what all them knobs do on the various bits hanging on our suspension :tg: I purchased a new 07 ski doo mxz550X in the latter part of 06 which i thought would suit my riding style compared to the old style feet forward design. I put over a 1000 local miles on this machine over 07 and the start of 08 until i was knocked off by a fellow snowmobiler at a juntion bending the tunnel etc etc :die So time for a new sled. I originally was liking the phazer (Now my fiance has a 07 FX purchased new in december)but was held back for various reasons so there was a leaning towards the 4 stroke convenience and i hate that 2 stroke smell had to much of it through the years :Rockon:

So off to the dealership and i ordered a blue 08 nytro FX as they only had the yellow and white one in stock. Now i would of liked the rtx which i thought would suit my riding style better? but it felt that you were sitting on a piano the fox shocks did not move! ( but knowing now what i have learned that model would have been better suited as the soft front end makes the sled wander everywhere) Delivery took place aprox 2 days later on the 16th of jan.
so excited i went out that evening with a friend on a great freshly groomed trail and i hated it :o| It rode so differant to what i was used to the steering was so hard especially with fresh carbides etc. But anyway back to the story, i stuck with it especially loving the performance which i still love the way in which there is power every where. After a hundred miles or so of losening up and differing conditions i started then to play and try and get the yam to handl like i wanted it WOW what a differance :yam: So this is what i have found.
I am 230 pounds and i can leave the rear skid as is for all conditions with the 3 way adjuster on hard to get the correct ride height, 2 clicks slower rebound the compression i still am playing with but will get that smack on next season. The front is a differant story not just a set and leave alone situation. so this is what i like on the front i click faster on the rebound which seems to work for most conditions but the compression is a differant story for smooth groomed trail it turns better with a softer compression as much as 2 click softer from stock which gives reat turn in and hardly any understeer but throw in some moguls and then it seems as when the shock compresses on a softer setting the ski's seem to wander and go toe in (my observation only) so in looser snow with rough thrown in 2 to 3 clicks (almost maximum)harder works well but then the front end is stiff and you are not using all the travel? and as mentioned softening the front end to use more travel makes the handling worse as the skis wander. so thats what i have found. On a plus side the only other mods i have done so far is 96 piks/studs i may leave it at that as i dont want to go overboard. I am fancying an Aeen performance pipe and also some new ski's but with so many available i hope to do my research now i have found this site :-o and hopefully can get some infor towards that purchase at least. The only other complaint i have is the handwarmers suck! My fiances phazer is fine so why is the nytro any differant? Plus the last 2 times out plenty of hardpack with no loose stuff and i have had trouble getting the hot light to come off! Any comments on this would be appreciated. Another problem i had if you could class it as a problem! it sounded as tho the sprockets would slip whilst heavy excellerating in deep snow or good traction conditions? I sought of cured this by tightening up the slack in the track, proberly to get increased hyfax wear.
The Nytro and phazer are going in this wednesday for a few things which hopefully can be corrected via warranty
1 nytro= handwarmers and over heating issues?
2 phazer =the front steering is so loose its almost a joke, and the unreliable way in which it may go into reverse or back into drive!

So in a nut shell i have exactly 830 miles on this sled all local Franklin, salisbury, andover etc and have ridden this from smooth to extreme and i totally love it! I am a little worried about the front end issues with sub frames that i have read but have not check mine yet but will do on wednesday before the dealership gets it. And once again Thankyou for a great forum i hope to make many friends on here

GT :Rockon:

Thanks to both :-o I would also like to add that i caught a tree sideways with my nytro only to buckle up the left hand floor board. No damage to tunnel at all (luckily) i drilled out all the rivets on the board removed the outerrim and used the old panel beating experience to get it almost as good as new. The hardest job was straightening the large outside rim which is quite thick but a few hrs later it all went back together with fresh new rivets. The only differance was the new rivets where differant from the stock original ones. I was pleased that it was cured quite easily and myself or the sled were not damaged beyond repair :Rockon:

GTO I'm a little confused looking at your pics and reading your review. I see your avatar shows a RTX but you say the front end is a different story and you make rebound and compression adjustments like you have GYTR's on the front. Which model Nytro do you have? Std FX or FX RTX?

Ok so here is an update....... Today being my first day that i have had time to look at my sled before going in for warranty work :o| Even more pissed now. #$%&* The ball joints looked and felt fine with the weight of the front end on them, but as soon as i lifted the front end with my chain block omg :die all 4 joints are junk. Right top arm is bent and movement in both top a arms also is quite obvious. No wonder the thing wanders lol. Is this going to be a battle for this under warranty or a breaze?

Hand warmers
4 ball joints
1 a arm bent
all top a arm bushes worn
and to top it all off the over heating issue?
I love my yami to bits but this may leave a sour taste in my mouth if it is not fixed with warranty. $10000 on a sled is a lot of lolly to find all these problems. so lets see what happens when it goes in today.

Mine has between 2600-2700miles and everything that is wrong with your is wrong with mine besides the bent a-arm. My exhaust is rattling like crazy too. Im going to keep going till the snows gone or the ball joints fall out(which ever comes first) I didnt spend that type of money to miss a week of riding. If the sled get destroyed so be it thats what insurance is for.

unpride said:
Mine has between 2600-2700miles and everything that is wrong with your is wrong with mine besides the bent a-arm. My exhaust is rattling like crazy too. Im going to keep going till the snows gone or the ball joints fall out(which ever comes first) I didnt spend that type of money to miss a week of riding. If the sled get destroyed so be it thats what insurance is for.

Well dont get hurt a ball joint coming apart would not be much pleasure for you or your sled insurance or not :drink:

One more problem is the ball joint at the end of the steering tube which comes down from the bars it's also junk mmmmmm seem to be a similarity i think :die
Good job i go in for surgery tuesday no need to worry about getting it back anytime soon lol :jump:

hey.........all this great stuff makes the dreaded "wet foot problem" nothing but a minor issue.....LOL

if your making a list....look at these not so talked about problems.
a safety concern. Have a look at the bolts that hold one of the lower cross shafts in your skid. You'll see 14mm head, its probably loose or is rubbing your front idler wheel already......remove the idler and at least check it.

your lower torsion spring guide slides are seized and worn I would guess. And yes if they are not free to float and rotate with the movement of the spring ....... it will affect skid performance to a degree.......add rate etc. At the very least you should take them apart and lube em up gooder eh.

nothing major.....we're all learning I guess......new sleds, why do we do it.......I should know better, had an 04 SDI...!!

cheers, BK

Well the sled is at the dealers now, even if they fix it soon as i have mentioned i am under the knife on tuesday my riding is over till next winter. Will take a peek when i can walk again! :yam:

rfabro said:
Irfanview is a free program that you can easily resize pictures with. Just Google it.
Thanks for that! :-o

Attachments

• 02 03 08 sleding usa 023.JPG
    02 03 08 sleding usa 023.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 02 03 08 sleding usa 033.JPG
    02 03 08 sleding usa 033.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 78

Back