• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Venture MP Experience

YukonMP

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Venture MultiPurpose 2020 VK Professional ll
Hi all. I'll be using this space to share my experience with my new sled in the hope that it might be helpful, amusing or mildly interesting to any one who follows. Forums like this one were a big help in my decision and if I manage to stay focused this thread may prove useful to someone else.

Won't bore you all with all my particulars, they'll come out in time if relevant. I hope to pick up my new 2014 Venture MP in a few days. So why that sled of all the possibilities? My first and only sled is a 2011Bravo LT bought used three years ago. I have put 6500 kms on it, all ice fishing. I go out several days a week and an average day is 25 backbreaking kms. Most of the time I am alone and I usually don't see anyone else out there. My better half comes when the weather is fair and the fishing excellent. The Bravo uses 16.1 l/100 km and .53l oil for same. It often only does 40km/hr pulling a boggan if the track is not broken. I have managed to operate safely even when there was extensive foot deep overflow but I'm not young anymore.

So I was looking for fuel economy, reliability, comfort(that back again), two up, capable in overflow, floatation a bonus, a good users forum for help/advice. Polaris hasn't got a 4 stroke and I'd never live down a Cat amongst my friends. The long and short of it... Expedition Sport 600ACE or a Yammyhaha Venture Multipurpose. I hit DooTalk and TotallyYamaha hard for weeks, visited the dealers, and looked at used. In the end the MP won for a number of reasons. It was tough because the MP has a few strikes against it.

First, a face that only a mother could love. I'm enough of a traditionalist to want to just throw up the hood and see everything ...love that Bravo. Poorer gas mileage, ball park 20 vs 27 mpg cdn. A weight problem that isn't as bad as it first looks, 670# wet vs 537# dry. Very clever BuRP; how much does 40l of gas, oil in the shocks and engine,etc. all weigh. Compare the back racks, a flimsy aluminum wrap vs. a crate the must weigh 15#. Anyway the weight problem is only relative to the track length, the MP is 17 inches shorter. A significant negative for the MP but so is the Expeds 1.5 track height. My lake doesn't see much snow and if it does the wind will work it up so hard that you barely leave a track.

The clinchers for me were the comfort of the MP and a superior dealer experience. Well, that and the fact that I'd have to wait a year for the Doo because they are soldout. True, but not actually a factor in the end. After days spent on the forum and having a Yamaha 50 outboard I just believe in Yamaha products and the importance of building a good relationship with my local dealer.

More posts to follow, photos when I learn how, and other topics. Ask questions, if I don't know the answer I'll make something up(sweetie calls that male perrogative - boiled Ukrainian stuffed doughy thing).

2014 Venture MP(called Blue)

Last edited:

It will be interesting to read your full review once you have ridden it.

If you're riding on bare ice a lot, you might want to consider studs. I've ridden mine on glare ice and it was not easy to get it going.

Speed wise, you should be able to triple what you did with that Bravo :D

I found the same thing ! studs needed for bare ice especially loaded with 2 people . I made these A arm protectors they help a lot in deep snow some factory plastic ones are available .
20101107_07.JPG

Venture Lites didn't come with a float plate but MP's came with a pseudo-plate. Yamaha does offer one for the VL:
http://yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.p...up=SM&unitYear=2007&items_per_page=all&page=1

Wider skis would definitely help although the 7" VK skis are decent for floatation. Slydog has 8" Powderhound skis. They are pricey but they steer and handle a lot better than any stock ski other than the tuners, which aren't that wide. I have a set of their 6" trail skis and I love them on the trail.

One more sleep, pick up Blue tomorrow afternoon. My lady is headed to town for three days so all I'm doing is ride, ride, ride. Ice fishing is a pretty poor way to break it in, my longest run between spots is 8km. And the lake has tons of overflow right now. The last thing I want to do is get stuck and run the crap out of it with no miles on it. There are lots of good trails to ride with cell coverage in case I need help. No buddies along to distract me. I've read the break in threads and links and won't be going overly gentle on the machine. Don't let it overheat, minimize temperature cycling down to dead cold, give it a bit of throttle right from the beginning, don't lug it, let it rev free but not overly high for sustained periods, vary rpm/load constantly, don't idle past warm up.

I'm afraid I have the narrow skis but I don't think I've ever ridden in more than a foot of powder. I may start doing different things with the new sled so a second set of skis may be in order one day and Campsledders creations make a lot of sense. Funny how things are different area to area, I haven't seen a studded track on this lake in three years. I've heard of the odd guy putting a few in. Likewise guys will grind down their carbides if the are biting in too much. I think I tend to be pretty low tech ... steering too stiff? ... then wackout the carbides so you can turn the bars and the sled will turn eventually. This is ice fishing, not slalom racing.

If it's a new MP, then you have the wider VK skis. The stock carbides are junk and will only help steering minimally on ice, which might be just enough for you. Because of the long track, you will need the carbides to steer so don't whack them out. After you've ridden it for a while, you'll get a feel for it and then decide if you need to change anything.

Overall, I have to say everything with Blue and I is going well. We stuck to ourselves the first day logging a 100 km in short runs mostly on the trails around home, being careful to only hit it hard in short bursts and not get too hot. The second day we partnered up with a very experienced rider on his day old Scandic SWT w/900 ACE. Another day of mixed riding on the lakes,trails and what passes for access roads in these parts. We did attempt to climb a mountain but when the SWT got stuck we turned around after the excavation was complete. The third day saw us out for yet another 100 km on lakes, a river, bush trails and up a mountain on a summer road. Then off trail into four or five feet of powder which didn't go well because the MP wouldn't track and just did nose dives off the trail. Then a fourth 100 km day with sweetie and I repeating some of the previous days adventures.

We slowed down a bit these last few days and mixed fishing with riding. When I catch a fish I go for a snort up the lake on Blue. In just a week we've seen most of what this area can throw at you ... temps from freezing to -30C, 95 percent bare ice, a foot of powder on ice, a foot of powder over 8 inches of slush, 45 degree sustained climbs, up to 5 feet of powder, and endless trails shared with mushers training for the Yukon Quest.

I am, I think, very aware that conditions for these machine are always challenging in one way or another, either by nature or by the operator's ambitions. My hope for the Venture MP was that it would never be embarrassed no matter what was asked of it, not an outstanding performer in any class but capable ... hence Multi-Purpose.

The verdict ... a strong pass with even greater potential. Foremost in my criteria was comfort and between the sitting position, the standing position, the suspension/ride and the second seat it was a great hit. A friend whose back is worse than mine said he didn't dream it could be that good despite what I had been saying. Loads of power that ramps up quickly but comfortably so, that at speed. When just tractoring along the lake edge in the powder pulling a skimmer it just holds any speed I picked providing it stayed level, which is another issue not a part of this list of pluses. Crossing the lake, pulling a light skimmer, it floats through the powder holding any speed. I ride slow so imagine pulling 50 or 60 and encountering overflow slush unseen under the powder, at the slight lurch and drop in speed I'd just throttle up to seventy kph and blow through. That all works well until it doesn't. I generally have a good idea of the overflow situation because I'm out most days so if I feel I made a narrow escape I'll avoid an area for a while. Once when I was out with the Scandic my old Bravo instinct kicked in, as we slowed to a crawl I jumped off on the throttle side and pull/pushed while feathering the gas ...it works. That is until it doesn't. I put Blue in the soup once real good on a muskrat pond and would have been hooped if I was alone, but if I was alone I would have walked in as I had two days before. The handling on what we call trails around here, which look very different from the trails I see in your posts, is excellent although Blues girth occassionally challenges the trail side trees. If that was my main use he'd be tough to love.

We haven't had any issues mechanically with one exception. Occassionally, usually when getting unstuck/turning around, he'll not take reverse and won't then take forward so I shut him down and restart. I don't have a problem with that, I like the e-shift because otherwise we'd have an idiot trying to operate the lever... ME (check out ACE transmission issues).

So the cons. I have the same skinny assed skis Ray mentioned, five and a half inches. And short too, forty inches. OK if you are going to the mall but what the heck are they doing on this machine. I can only imagine that the Yamaha Gods thought they were needed when the MP was introduced to the US market. So, once again I get to blame the Americans. That said, they are absolutely amazing on packed trails and on thinly covered or bare ice. They are also equally amazing in all other conditions, amazingly bad. Get up in high powder on a just broken trail and the MP cannot(I just repressed using all Caps) follow the track. Poor Blue just plows straight ahead with his nose getting ever deeper until he picks a side in shame and dives for the willows at which point he takes on a list of titanic proportions that CANNOT(sorry) be corrected. I'm considering a second set of skis, Karl gives the 10 inch wide Simmons Gen2s a heartfelt and unprintable commendation. Karl also says deep six the sway bar and I'm on for it. Easily done and easily undone, not like anything routine like changing the plugs. I figure when I stand on one side and lean out outrigger fashion that side should compress more if it is uncoupled from the other side. No doubt I'll pay a price elsewhere but I bet it is high speed stability especially on firmer stuff. That is easily solved by slowing down but there is no easy solution for the pig burying himself in the deep stuff at every opportunity. Out of spite I may make him wear a crazy carpet bib/diaper off his front bumper until I get him reshod.

Well that is a lot for one night, the only thing slower than my mind is my typing, yes children he said typing, not keyboarding. There is more, we haven't even said boogers yet. Watch this space, I do. Thanks again for the help and guidance TY.

Thanks for a very good and unbiased review. Strange that you didn't get the 7" VK skis. Trying to get the specs from Yamaha's site and it's down right now. Looking at some pics elsewhere, looks like you got the tuner skis with dual carbides. Great on trails, they suck on everything else. If you do get some wider shoes, you can resell the tuners at least.

I've also experienced the dreaded "one ski off the trail and wind up in the decor" syndrome. She's goin' down Capt'n! Once I wound up in a ditch with really deep powder. Just powered through and got back on the trail. My son couldn't believe it could float that well with me (300+ lbs) on it. Almost a metric ton going on powder!

Enjoy your sled!

Here is a brief installment on the review. The topics today will be creature comforts. We, that's she and me, both enjoy both of the seats. They are really comfortable. I don't have a chair in the house that I could sit in for an hour without creaking as I get up but I can ride this sled all day. I'm not quite 5-8 and the leg position sitting and standing up is awesome. I have found all of the control locations and function convenient, comfortable and logical. I must admit to some difficulty finding the hi/lo headlight switch.

The front hand warmers require oven mitts if on maximum, especially the thumb. Sadly, the rears are completely dismal, so bad in fact I am going to have the dealer check them. The MP comes with great mirrors, vastly superior to the "pay extra" mirrors on the Ski doo I had considered. I guess that is another way they keep the weight down too. For slow riders like me there is no such thing as too big of wind shield because the actual wind is significant relative too my speed. If you ride at 70 kph the MP's windshield and hood punch a big hole to hide in regardless of a crosswind. At 30kph with a 20kph crosswind I'm ducking and diving to try to find a place to stick my nose while I still have one. That said, the MP has a pretty fair windshield. Buddy with a Skandic said his was so light it folded in the wind. Another great weight saving do you think? Also on the windshield, at my height(still 5-8, stopped growing a while ago) it is a little annoying on bush trails because the top is exactly where I am looking; sort of like getting used to bifocals.

I'm saving cold weather starting and the nefarious boogers for another day.

Last edited:
Here is a brief installment on the review. The topics today will be creature comforts. We, that's she and me, both enjoy both of the seats. They are really comfortable. I don't have a chair in the house that I could sit in for an hour without creaking as I get up but I can ride this sled all day. I'm not quite 5-8 and the leg position sitting and standing up is awesome. I have found all of the control locations and function convenient, comfortable and logical. I must admit to some difficulty finding the hi/lo headlight switch.

The front hand warmers require oven mitts if on maximum, especially the thumb. Sadly, the rears are completely dismal, so bad in fact I am going to have the dealer check them. The MP comes with great mirrors, vastly superior to the "pay extra" mirrors on the Ski doo I had considered. I guess that is another way they keep the weight down too. For slow riders like me there is no such thing as too big of wind shield because the actual wind is significant relative too my speed. If you ride at 70 kph the MP's windshield and hood punch a big hole to hide in regardless of a crosswind. At 30kph with a 20kph crosswind I'm ducking and diving to try to find a place to stick my nose while I still have one. That said, the MP has a pretty fair windshield. Buddy with a Skandic said his was so light it folded in the wind. Another great weight saving do you think?

I'm saving cold weather starting and the nefarious boogers for another day.

Good afternoon. I am also fairly new to the site. I have done a pretty cheap tunnel fix. I had an aluminum 20 gauge sheet cut 40 inches long, 17.25 inches wide with 3/4 inch bends on the edges. I left about 2 inches of air space at the rear of the tunnel and used 3 sheet metal screws per side and the rear bumper side bolts to mount it. You need to drop the rear of the track to do this and cut out a section on the upper idler mounts to put in the panel. No muffler changes but I should have added 6 or 8 inches to it. It took me about 2 hours, and 40 bucks. 600 cold km later with deep snow and there is very little icing. The rear idlers get a bit but not much of an issue.
DSCN4272 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN4273 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN4274 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN4275 (1024x768).jpg

So you left an open gap at the rear? That should help with the heat on the deck. Does it get hot? Did you wrap the exhaust?

It is open front and rear. The panel goes far enough ahead to deflect the snow to the coolers. The deck gets warm but not hot enough to be any big concern. No muffler wrap. I couldnt find anything I thought would make much of a difference. Header tape is pretty thin.

This might be a wrap on the initial review. I just had Blue's initial service done and every thing checked out. I asked that they see what could be done for a steering squeak and they got rid off it and freed up the steering considerably. Just a few items to mention that I like about this sled. First the "dash display", don't really know what to call it but there is nothing wrong with it and for a change the manufacturer has made it big enough to actually be seen, ie. smaller is not better. And neither are 101 options that no one would ever use and I would never figure out. That little unit is very practical.

I like the stirrups also. They and the running boards provide the rider with a very secure platform. The also make damn convenient rod holders. And this baby trolls at about 85kph. I confess to opening it up for some good stretches and feeling very confident.

We're through our cold weather and Blue started everyday. Basically no precautions required to -25C but below that I always used the coolant heater for at least 4 hours and a tarp with a 1500Watt heater for up to an hour. I must say that once I was out for the day I never wondered if it was going to go, in fact I don't think the red light even came on again.

I've held back from commenting on the ice boogers because I wanted to experience the widest range of conditions. The bottom line, for me, is no big deal. When I get home I lift the back end off the ground. The next morning I bang the edges of the running boards, the length of the tunnel(lightly down the middle, hard along the bend on top), the stupid black rubber flaps, and the rear end. This all while it is warming up. Then I spin the track in reverse and I'm done. During the first 800k I buried this thing in slush and that surely weighed down and compromised proper operation much more.

All over this site I see guys willing to spend tons more time and money upgrading stuff that I would never do in a million years. The fixes to improve the booger situation are pretty well proven, easy, and inexpensive. In particular I like kingrichards solution. This summer I may do something myself but the bottom line is that I thought ice boogers were going to be an issue that had to be dealt with and might turn out to be a big deal and they haven't been for me.

My priorities are a pair of Simmons Gen2 skis to keep his nose out of the oats and suspension adjustments. I've been all over this site and can't find a Suspension Set-up 101 thread but I can guess who might know and provide a link. Other wise we'll just build'er'here boys. I think that it's a big deal because for those of us without shops our ability and interest in working on this stuff in the cold is limited. Thanks for the Yukon pictures King, I'll figure it out one day, it all just takes time.

Back