• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Venture MP Experience

Suspension adjustments are pretty limited and are explained in the owners manual. Best advice is to do one change at a time and test it out. The limiter straps will dictate the amount of weight on the skis. Tighter or shorter straps will increase weight/pressure on the skis and vice-versa. Just one word of advice, do not loosen the straps so much that they don't hold the suspension arm and lets the shock extend to its maximum travel. That will eventually destroy your expensive gas shock. It happened to me, not because I loosened it too much but because it stretched over time.

This might be a wrap on the initial review. I just had Blue's initial service done and every thing checked out. I asked that they see what could be done for a steering squeak and they got rid off it and freed up the steering considerably. Just a few items to mention that I like about this sled. First the "dash display", don't really know what to call it but there is nothing wrong with it and for a change the manufacturer has made it big enough to actually be seen, ie. smaller is not better. And neither are 101 options that no one would ever use and I would never figure out. That little unit is very practical.

I like the stirrups also. They and the running boards provide the rider with a very secure platform. The also make damn convenient rod holders. And this baby trolls at about 85kph. I confess to opening it up for some good stretches and feeling very confident.

We're through our cold weather and Blue started everyday. Basically no precautions required to -25C but below that I always used the coolant heater for at least 4 hours and a tarp with a 1500Watt heater for up to an hour. I must say that once I was out for the day I never wondered if it was going to go, in fact I don't think the red light even came on again.

I've held back from commenting on the ice boogers because I wanted to experience the widest range of conditions. The bottom line, for me, is no big deal. When I get home I lift the back end off the ground. The next morning I bang the edges of the running boards, the length of the tunnel(lightly down the middle, hard along the bend on top), the stupid black rubber flaps, and the rear end. This all while it is warming up. Then I spin the track in reverse and I'm done. During the first 800k I buried this thing in slush and that surely weighed down and compromised proper operation much more.

All over this site I see guys willing to spend tons more time and money upgrading stuff that I would never do in a million years. The fixes to improve the booger situation are pretty well proven, easy, and inexpensive. In particular I like kingrichards solution. This summer I may do something myself but the bottom line is that I thought ice boogers were going to be an issue that had to be dealt with and might turn out to be a big deal and they haven't been for me.

My priorities are a pair of Simmons Gen2 skis to keep his nose out of the oats and suspension adjustments. I've been all over this site and can't find a Suspension Set-up 101 thread but I can guess who might know and provide a link. Other wise we'll just build'er'here boys. I think that it's a big deal because for those of us without shops our ability and interest in working on this stuff in the cold is limited. Thanks for the Yukon pictures King, I'll figure it out one day, it all just takes time.
I agree that a suspension tuner 101 would be great.

I've given the owners manual a close read and it doesn't even mention limiter straps ... seriously. I've looked at mine and they are quite slack and that seems odd to me. The manual also does not give the four positions to set anti-sway stiffness. It does say that weight transfer is achieved by adjusting the control rods and does indicate which way to turn the adjuster to increase but I'd like to better understand what is happening, ie. is that lengthening the rod. All the shocks are coil over with adjustable preload and air pressure but I don't know when to use preload and when to use air pressure. What adjustments are less critical to nail and which do you really want to spend some time on?

I think I need to get my fat skis and mess with weight transfer, hopefully I'll find some deep powder for that. Anything that makes this thing more manageable in the deep stuff, breaking or following a rough trail is huge. That is regardless of what it does on the ice or packed trails because on the ice poor handling is an annoyance, in the bush it can make or break a trip. But even that isn't so simple ... what is the best set up to help this wallowing pig in the deep stuff, ie. soft front end, hard front end, skip the sway bar?

I've given the owners manual a close read and it doesn't even mention limiter straps ... seriously. I've looked at mine and they are quite slack and that seems odd to me. The manual also does not give the four positions to set anti-sway stiffness. It does say that weight transfer is achieved by adjusting the control rods and does indicate which way to turn the adjuster to increase but I'd like to better understand what is happening, ie. is that lengthening the rod. All the shocks are coil over with adjustable preload and air pressure but I don't know when to use preload and when to use air pressure. What adjustments are less critical to nail and which do you really want to spend some time on?

I think I need to get my fat skis and mess with weight transfer, hopefully I'll find some deep powder for that. Anything that makes this thing more manageable in the deep stuff, breaking or following a rough trail is huge. That is regardless of what it does on the ice or packed trails because on the ice poor handling is an annoyance, in the bush it can make or break a trip. But even that isn't so simple ... what is the best set up to help this wallowing pig in the deep stuff, ie. soft front end, hard front end, skip the sway bar?
Amen. Listening closely as I am also sick of this pig snow plowing and burying itself.

http://www.snowgoercanada.com/diy-how-to/good-to-know/265-importance-suspension-tuning
Here is a start I borrowed from the nitro guys and girls. I hope there are girls or it could be very boring over there. I'm with you wacnstac. Karl is a Yukoner who had a seriously modified MP that I think he used to snow board in the mountains. His advice to me was big fat skis and lose the sway bar.

A bit off topic but not ... I rode the old Bravo today for the first time in three weeks to open a trail that has fallen into dis-use. I had to get off to scout a couple of times and as I walked back to it I could see it was just lying on it's belly, the skis weren't doing a thing, I was steering by leaning. The day may come when I attach a 18 inch wide piece of puckboard to the front bumper of the MP and bend it under and attach it behind the sway bar. But not to get carried away, skis first and see what can be achieved with the suspension set up.

Or maybe I meant the service manual. I know it explains the sway bar adjustment for sure, probably others as well.

The front shocks are not adjustable. They are high pressure gas and cannot have any more or less pressure added or any characteristics adjusted. All the spring preload will do is adjust the front ride height.

In the rear, you have two shocks. Again, neither of these are adjustable and are High Pressure Gas. The front spring preload can be increased if you're a heavy rider. On the rear torsion springs, you have two things. The first is the 2-up block. It's used when riding with a passenger for extra weight bearing. Then there is the preload adjusting block. Three settings are available: L, M, H. The heavier you are, the more preload you need. If you bottom out a lot, crank them up to the next level. I'm so heavy that I have special aftermarket blocks with even two more higher settings. I'm at level 4.

For the limiter straps, they should be tight with the rear of the sled in the air. If they are loose, put it on the ground, unbolt them where there are multiple holes and have a buddy sit on the sled while you pull the strap to the next hole and bolt them. Recheck. Mine have stretched out so much that I added two extra holes. If the straps don't hold the suspension, the front shock will eventually be destroyed by hitting its top most travel when you have jumps, moguls or whenever the rear suspension is unloaded (it happened to me). The other important thing about the limiter straps is that shortening it will add more weight to the skis to improve steering response but will make it harder to steer. Lengthening it will have the opposite effects.

For the sway bar, you unbolt the mounts from the frame and move the mounts and plastic bushings to change it. Moving the bar as far forward as possible will make it stiffer and control sway more but will stiffen the suspension. Moving it back will make it softer but may cause more sway but will allow the suspension to move more freely on each side.

I am in no way a suspension tuning guru and don't even think I have mine dialed in to the best it could be but these are the things I do know and understand.

Thanks Moose, I see I had my wires crossed reading the manual which covers 4 models in two languages, only one of which I am moderately proficient in. Much to digest.

wacnstac, my thinking is that when Blue starts to tilt I jump with both feet to one side, grab the handle bar loop I don't have yet, as with the left-side throttle and LEEEEEAAAAAANN. Say I'm loading the left ski, I'm working against the springs on both sides so I can't compress the left side as well AND the sway bar is compressing the right side, which I want to lengthen. Maybe the ski isn't seen for a while but I need to get the weight of the sled coming back over center. Off with their sway bars say I.

As I said in my review I didn't expect this sled was going to be the best at anything but that I hoped it would at least get a pass regardless what we take on. I'm still very hopeful. I might not even be having this conversation if Yamaha had not done a head fake with the skis in 2014. One thing for sure, I won't buy a Yamaha ski to reward them their ingenuity. They had their chance and they have my number.

ps.and I'm not waiting for the phone to ring.

Why not complain that for all the past years, the MP, as a work sled, had the 7" VK skis, that's what you were expecting and that these skis are junk off trail. At purchase, they should give the option of which skis you want or ask the purpose of the sled. I think they're trying to cater to those who would have bought a now defunct Venture Lite for trail riding but from what I can see, it is still being bought as a work sled.

And this is what they still have on the highlights page for the MP:

http://yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4461&group=SM&catId=23#hs

"The Venture MP features an 80FI 4-stroke engine which delivers impressive toque. It's tall windshield provides warmth and protection from the elements while its comfortable driver and passenger seating will keep you riding all day. The 16-inch wide track, tow hitch, wide utility skis and an oversize front bumper with flotation plate make this an extremely versatile sled!"

And then it gets even better in the specs:
http://yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4461&group=SM&catId=23#fb

"/// Tuner Dual Keel Skis

• The addition of Yamaha's acclaimed Tuner Dual Keel skis greatly reduce darting and offer a wide range of carbide set-up options, from mild to aggressive pattern.
/// ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  • Now comes standard with the passenger seat
  • A 144 inch x 16 inch wide Ripsaw track
  • Wide and sturdy front bumper.
  • Wide VK type plastic skis keeps the front end up in the deep stuff
  • Several seating and optional storage optionsTo insure exceptional reliability this 4-stroke engine features a special 'knock sensor' system that continually monitors and compensates for low octane or poor quality fuel."

So on the same page, it says it has the tuner skis and then the VK skis. Which is it???

You are a dog with a bone Mooseman. Their website information contradicts itself. This may require further action, but I'm going fishing first. Priorities you know. Come on Yamaha, we know you are out there. This is where your reputation gets built, money spent fixing this is way more effective than any advertising.

You are a dog with a bone Mooseman. Their website information contradicts itself. This may require further action, but I'm going fishing first. Priorities you know. Come on Yamaha, we know you are out there. This is where your reputation gets built, money spent fixing this is way more effective than any advertising.[/QUOT
You are a dog with a bone Mooseman. Their website information contradicts itself. This may require further action, but I'm going fishing first. Priorities you know. Come on Yamaha, we know you are out there. This is where your reputation gets built, money spent fixing this is way more effective than any advertis

Hello guys good info mooseman. The factory vk skies for me have been great. I was in the yamaha dealer awhile back and saw the new mp with the tuner skies they look like a trail only ski with that heavy front end you need the flotation of wide skies if you venture off trail. I hope they do something for you Yukonmp.

Hey Ice_fisher,

Nice skis! Where did you get those? Can I have some?

I am presently posting my missive (thats missive, not missile ...get a dictionary, have some fun) to Yamaha Canada and will also post a copy here. Did not expect My Venture MP Experience to go this way but I'm having fun.

Back