• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nate007's ApeXTX

nate007

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1. '06 Apex -twin screw
2. '04 Redline Revolt 800
3. '09 Nytro XTX - twin screw
Decided to make the jump to stretch the Apex, and wanted to do something I havent seen in an Apex yet, so here it is.
I'll add the final pics as soon as I can get them, but here's the project pics..
A special thank you to Viper_Dave, maxdlx, Familyman, Mr.Sled, richierich and welterracer for all your patience with my requests and questions! It turned out to work great, but needs stiffer springs. Made it a whole new animal! Yamaha needs to do this!!
First, was the tear down..
shoppicssleds010.jpg

shoppicssleds011.jpg

shoppicssleds009.jpg

Next was the mock up skid out of my XTX. I purchased a 0 mile takeout skid and had welterracer powdercoat all the pieces. I used this for the build while he had the actual.
shoppicssleds006.jpg

Next, a template was made from plexiglass. a hole was drilled for the axle and the template was assembled with the axle in place. For future reference, a section of solid garage door torsion shaft would have been much easier. Using the tunnel protectors as a referrence, I made marks and holes for the mounting pointsof the XTX skid.
shoppicssleds017.jpg

shoppicssleds017.jpg

shoppicssleds019.jpg

Custom drop brackets were made using pieces of 5" by 12" by 3/8" aluminum.
shoppicssleds025.jpg

More to follow when I get the camera from the shop and downloaded.

here's a quick after shot. the sled is still dirty from Muni, and doing some buffing, but it runs!
shoppicssleds2038.jpg

shoppicssleds2041.jpg

shoppicssleds2042.jpg

shoppicssleds2043.jpg

looks good. How does it work on the trails does it still turn like a 121. Paul

Yeah, Paul, It made it a whole new machine! It handles the twisties just as good as it did before, but it's far more confidence inspiring off trail.
I did add Ulmers bushing kit, a 13mm sway bar and Pioneer re-valve on the front shocks, but all together, it made it a sweet ride.
The XTX skid has softer springs, and I've bottomed out enough in the first Muni trip that I've blown the shock, so taking care of that, and adding heavier torsion springs will finish the deal.
I had a little bot of front end push, but I never did adjust anything with the skid, it was all still at factory settings. I'm gonna try a set of C&A Razors with tripple points before I start tweaking too much. It transfers great and I don't want to looke that.
I hope Yamaha does something like this in the future, its a hoot!

Sure thing!

nate 007 anyinfo on on the mounting messurments and stuff of the xtx skid in a older apex/attak? looking to do the same to my 06 attak and info/tips would be appriciated thanxs

Back