• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need advice - 2015 VK Pro stopping and not starting

BrianI

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha RS Viking Professional
Hello. I need some advice. I have a 2015 VK Pro with only 600 miles, my first year driving it. I've had the snowmobile stop and not start on 3 separate occasions and under very different conditions that has me worried.
1) After a trip (ambient temp 32 deg F) with the snowmobile loaded back on the trailer it stopped and wouldn't start. After waiting approx 30 min it finally started with the battery almost completely dead. It would only run very rough with full choke and eventually cleared up. I decided to turn off the carburetor heat valve after this. 2) While driving down the lake (ambient temp 10 deg F), I decided to go full throttle. After about 20 seconds the motor power died, I coasted to a stop and the motor stopped. After about 10 tries, the motor finally started however only with complete full choke and running very rough. Took the choke off the motor wouldn't run. Eventually it cleared again and I drove home normally. 3) This past weekend (ambient temp 0 deg F), I started the snowmobile with full choke. After approx 30 seconds I moved the choke slowly to approx 1/2 so I could start another snowmobile. The snowmobile stopped. When I tried starting again it fired a couple of times but wouldn't start. I eventually got a hold of a small can of ether. It would run very rough with the ether and full choke only. Emptied the ether then went home, it just wouldn't start. At home I almost emptied another large can of ether. It would only run very rough with the ether & full choke. Eventually it cleared itself again and began running OK and has been fine ever since. When running the snowmobile runs great. The plugs are good. Spark is good. I've always used Stabil for storage and always run isopropyl alcohol and a bit of silver STP in my 91 octane no-ethanol fuel. Because of all the different occasions when it has stopped like this, can anyone offer me an idea what may be happening here? Thank you in advance for any replies given. Brian Irwin.

Last edited:

sounding like fouled plugs to me. might need a carb clean/inspection too but i would start with the plugs.

make sure you charge up the battery fully as that can make some weird issues too.

Back