• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need little help quoting service repair costs

Loc Tro

Extreme
So I have a 08 Nytro RTX and doing some needed work and some maintenance as well.

I am having a qualified friend do it for me. I trust him and he is alway good to me.

However our hardest thing is trying to figure a fair price for both parties. We both have a hard time with this.

Work I am having done as follows...

1.) Swapping driver wheels for extroverts.
2.) Swapping chaincase side bearing.
3.) Swapping starter (pretty sure it’s shot)
4.) Install secondary clutch
5.) install clutch kit

Think that’s it I think? Thanks for any help. I want to be fair because he is a good friend.

That's a fair amount of work to get done, I think the starter is not right easy to get to which takes time, what do you think a dealer would charge you? its good to have a buddy that can do this kind of work right so treat him good you will need him again, a dealer it would be over a grand easy in labour costs plus shop supplies.

Those are all farily easy things to do except the starter. You have to remove 2 motor mounts and pivot the whole engine in order to get the starter to drop out. I'm guessing a dealer would charge around $2500 for parts and labor. If I were you I would give your buddy at least $1000 to do all that work.

Those are all farily easy things to do except the starter. You have to remove 2 motor mounts and pivot the whole engine in order to get the starter to drop out. I'm guessing a dealer would charge around $2500 for parts and labor. If I were you I would give your buddy at least $1000 to do all that work.

I agree, thats a ton of work!

How about establish an hourly rate for your buddy and have him do it on a Time and Material basis? This way your pall won't be out any money if he quotes you a fixed price and then it takes him way more time than estimated. That could lead to some hard feelings.

If it was me, I would ask a dealer for a quote, time and parts. If a dealer says XX hours, that would be a reasonable baseline for your friend's services. It might take him a little longer if he is not a certified mechanic, but at least you would both know what the job should take.

So I have a 08 Nytro RTX and doing some needed work and some maintenance as well.

I am having a qualified friend do it for me. I trust him and he is alway good to me.

However our hardest thing is trying to figure a fair price for both parties. We both have a hard time with this.

Work I am having done as follows...

1.) Swapping driver wheels for extroverts.
2.) Swapping chaincase side bearing.
3.) Swapping starter (pretty sure it’s shot)
4.) Install secondary clutch
5.) install clutch kit

Think that’s it I think? Thanks for any help. I want to be fair because he is a good friend.

I would do this for $1000, are you in MN?

If your buddy is efficient and trustworthy, Agree on an hourly wage. Easiest way i know. Or, send it to Mr Sled, haha

Time & material, plus a tip would be most fair.
Take Your current hourly pre-tax wage and add $5.00/hr to that.
That's your baseline. $100 tip & dinner after your first ride together.

Excellent thanks for all the good ideas. We worked together at a Yamaha dealership together back in 2006 is how I met him. We ride street bikes, dirt bikes and sleds together ever since. He was a service tech then. He continued to always work out of his garage. Thanks for all the replies

Back