• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need some help on this one ! Stuck

DGZRT

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Vector shorty, 17 Shitdoo 1200X, 2000- pullmyass-340 for Grandkids
Back ground : 2008 Vector. About 5800 miles . I really like the sled and have it decked out the way I want so would like to keep it for a backup.
So , some place I have an exhaust leak and the sled is rather loud. I talked to the service department at the big dealership in town and they said depending what’s wrong between 1000 to 1400 dollars to fix and won’t know until they tear it apart.
I have repaired my exhaust on my 09 so I’ve done it before. That one was easy the pipe broke in two lol .

This one kind of has me stumped…. It reacted and sounds like a donut problem but there is already copper ones in place and they look to be in good shape . The flare outs look good and not broken . I’ve primed the carbs and started it and I can’t see where it’s leaking . The gasket looks to be intact and no burn marks by the manifold.

So what do I check from here ???? Pull the muffler total off ?? I have the sled up and the suspension out so it’s total exposed and no signs of leaks when started .

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 473DF25B-582B-4BE7-8BCA-1210B942819A.jpeg
    473DF25B-582B-4BE7-8BCA-1210B942819A.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20BEB101-D3CA-4AF5-98A5-80A0219715B2.jpeg
    20BEB101-D3CA-4AF5-98A5-80A0219715B2.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 1B18AFFD-28C8-465D-8F14-913DE6EE9789.jpeg
    1B18AFFD-28C8-465D-8F14-913DE6EE9789.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 66
  • E235F32D-D07B-4BF7-9CF7-4C0168BB036B.jpeg
    E235F32D-D07B-4BF7-9CF7-4C0168BB036B.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 60

Could plug your exhaust and start it to see where it’s coming from, probably only be able to do that for a short time.

Does the sound seem to be coming from up front, or the tunnel??

They are known to crack where the mid pipe meets the tailpipe. Which would be roughly just forward of where the track makes its bend over the upper idlers going forward.

I will plug the tail pipes again. I did it before tearing it down and kept right on running so I figured the donuts. I will plug it again and see where the exhaust spits out .

It sure sounds like right by the motor

I wouldn’t think it would blow out where it’s bolted to the engine but you never know, I thinking it could also be in the flex part of the pipes.

I wouldn’t think it would blow out where it’s bolted to the engine but you never know, I thinking it could also be in the flex part of the pipes.

Yep. If it's not at the midpipe tailpipe junction, I'll bet it's a cracked flex pipe/pipes

Having never taken a flex pipe off . Is there a better way to crack those rusty bolts ?? Heat and lube I’m guessing. And NO impacts! Anyone have any awesome tips ?

Start soaking the bolts in PB Blaster or Deep Creep right now. Spray them often, and give it 2-3 hours and try loosening them. Heat them too if needed. Also sneak a punch in there and give them a rap with a hammer. Don't reuse them either. Buy new gr 8 bolts.

I just did my exhaust donuts and took the flex pipes off. Mine came undone super easy. No issues at all. Maybe use the factory donuts. They might seal better. Thats what I used.

IMG_1796.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

Honestly, you might as well replace all of your flex pipes with the braided flex pipe fix from F/X Garage Works. It ends up being cheaper than the stock Yamaha flex pipes and should last much longer.

The stock flex pipes and gaskets keep blowing constantly so why not just upgrade and not have to worry about it.

Honestly, you might as well replace all of your flex pipes with the braided flex pipe fix from F/X Garage Works. It ends up being cheaper than the stock Yamaha flex pipes and should last much longer.

The stock flex pipes and gaskets keep blowing constantly so why not just upgrade and not have to worry about it.
I'm pondering that right now. I really like the idea but watching his videos seems like you need to do it just perfect for it to seal.
Have you done this fix ??

I first want to be sure its the Flex pipes and not the pipe running down to the muffler.

I'm pondering that right now. I really like the idea but watching his videos seems like you need to do it just perfect for it to seal.
Have you done this fix ??

I first want to be sure its the Flex pipes and not the pipe running down
It’s not as complicated as it seems, I recommend you use a hacksaw when cutting your pipes since you’ll have more of a precise cut. I used an angle grinder since that’s all I had at the cottage and it still worked out well.

I did, I thought I had posted here but it seems I had posted it on snowmobile fanatics since I hadn’t found this site at the time. https://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/...f-x-garage-flex-pipe-kit.143329/#post-1351581

That’s a good idea, mine was leaking at the mid-section as well but it had no clamp and a bad gasket lol. My stock Yamaha flex pipe broke at the spring portion and broke off at the welds..

Last edited:
It’s not as complicated as it seems, I recommend you use a hacksaw when cutting your pipes since you’ll have more of a precise cut. I used an angle grinder since that’s all I had at the cottage and it still worked out well.

I did, I thought I had posted here but it seems I had posted it on snowmobile fanatics since I hadn’t found this site at the time. https://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/...f-x-garage-flex-pipe-kit.143329/#post-1351581

That’s a good idea, mine was leaking at the mid-section as well but it had no clamp and a bad gasket lol. My stock Yamaha flex pipe broke where the spring portion broke off the welds..
Your install looks great good job . FYI you’re missing a cotter pin on your nut on the steering arm just above the pipes . I’m just glad this is my backup sled .

Back