• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 4 Stroke Mountain Sled

Snow Fever

Expert
Haven't posted in a long while, still have my old RX1 with the MC Turbo on it, but a few months ago my buddy bought the local Arctic Dealership and asked me to come work for him so I did. We built some M-8 153" and 162" Turbo sleds while we waited for our Z-1 1100cc Factory Turbo sled to come in. Well we got it and it came with a 128" track. We made a new tunnel for it, shoe horned in a 174" track, built a new exhaust, installed a D&D fuel and boost controller. I'm just doing the clutching, gearing and boost pressure set ups now, but I can tell you there will be some very surprised people out there when we go to the mountains. This thing revs 7600 to MAX 7800 RPM so the Torque numbers are unreal! Its capable of 230hp on 94 pump gas and that translates to 155lbs of torque. It pulls like a freight train and rides like a Cadilac. By far the smoothest riding sled I have ever ridin. Going to be a great year. With this and the new 4 stroke Doo, we will now have competion for our Yamahas :Rockon:

Attachments

• 2009 Z1 Turbo.jpg
    2009 Z1 Turbo.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 78

Unfortunately a 16" wide track won't fit in this tunnel, so its just a 15" x 174" and we had to notch the track to clear the heat exchanger tunnel rails. We put a Mountain Tamer rear skid in it, Simmons Flexi skis and a second blow off valve to keep the turbo spooled when on and off the throttle hard. It has VERY good throttle response and about the same Turbo lag as an Apex (Maybe a little less) The turbo is very small but I hear it and the motor are good for 300Hp. At 300Hp, reving 7800 Rpm it would have 202Lbs of Torque. (This is based soley on the calculation of 300Hp Times 5250 divided by 7800Rpm) In the real world even if it was 170-180Lbs of Torque that would be NUTS!) After we get it dialed in at the current boost I'm sure we will splash some race fuel in it and see if the bears do SH@# in the buck wheat. I still have a couple more little mods I want to do to get the boost to come on faster and spike when you hit the throttle but for now its clutching and gearing time. The front end is wider on this thing compared to our Yami's and it soaks up the bumps like no tomorrow. I have never owned a Cat in my life, Just Poo's, Doo's and Yamahas, This may be the year for a brand change. I'll sell the wifes sled, and give her the old RX-1 Turbo :4STroke:

Oh yea, forgot to mention, up until now Yamaha 4 stroke Turbos were the hornest sounding sleds when climbing a hill, this thing, with the exhaust we built sounds like a jet engine sceaming ;)! It makes about as much noise as a RX-1 Turbo but it does not sound like a piston driven motor? When idling it does and its VERY deep in tone, when you floor it, it make the same sound as a jet engine, like a SWIIIIISHHH sound. Its weird when you are standing there and hear it coming............

For what its worth, I used 3 bathroom scales, one under each ski and one under the track. No gas, but all other fluids and that gas can on the back it weighed 577lbs. As a comparison, my RX-1 weighed 619Lbs (But did have a gal or so gas in it)

Back