• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Apex pulling 11,000 RPM ?????

How much will the rpms drop by moving the secondary 1 hole less preload?

I wanted to leave my 07 RTX 100% stock, but it really is revving too high. It can't be good for the motor long term to be revving close to 11,000 every time I punch it.

On a long pull with good traction it will hit 11,200 before I let off (not quite top speed yet, but I don't like the rpms). With patchy snow or a rough trail it will top out around 10,900 due to the spin/grip cycle. Even at top speed if I hit some bumps the rpms will immediately drop (so I haven't run out of gear).

Smokey said:
False Alarm. When I bought this machine it had 26 miles on it. I assumed it was stock. Took it apart today. It had Attack springs primary and secondary and the secondary was wound to 6 + 1 (7)... I think the norm is 3 and 3. In any event put stock springs in and wound the secondary to the norm. Will let you know next ride.

Sorry for the mis information and thanks for all the help. STUPID ME

:o| :o| :o|

You do understand (to the best of my knowledge) the only difference between and Apex and Attack clutching is the secondary spring??

Spec says both are wound at 3-3. HOWEVER, the Pink and White springs each have the end 'tangs' at different locations. Pink has the tangs opposite of each other (12 oclock and 6 oclock), and White are both on the same spot.
This means that when either of them are wound at 3-3 let's say, it's really not the same wrap on the two.

This should not make you rev 11000+. Unless it is wrapped at 9-3!!! (perhaps and exageration, but to make a point)

To the other guy who asked about changing the rpm, are you on 3-3 and you want some more rpm? You won't hurt anything by trying 6-1 and will gain about 100 to 150 rpms. This might put you in the sweet spot. Give it a try!
Oh, upon reading, I see you are revving higher, so go ahead, let it out one hole, try 3-2 or 3-3 (if it's at 6-1!).

87gtNOS said:
Oh, upon reading, I see you are revving higher, so go ahead, let it out one hole, try 3-2 or 3-3 (if it's at 6-1!).

So with these sleds 1 hole give you 100-150 rpm on top.

When you play with the secondar, how much does 1 hole typically affect low and mid speed pull rpms?

At lower speeds the rpms are fine and I really like how snappy the sled is (even from a dead stop, it will typically see 10,500 within a very short distance).

ReX said:
87gtNOS said:

So with these sleds 1 hole give you 100-150 rpm on top.

When you play with the secondar, how much does 1 hole typically affect low and mid speed pull rpms?

At lower speeds the rpms are fine and I really like how snappy the sled is (even from a dead stop, it will typically see 10,500 within a very short distance).

Well, only takes a minute to change the wrap on the helix...give it a try. You may not notice the mid range change.

Smokey said:
Went out today now have 250 miles on the sled. It now is going to 11,200 and hitting the rev limiter. Don't think it's the conditions decent hook up on pack fire guard roads. Need to do something to get the revs down a bit. I assume clutch weights ?????
Add some lead in the fron rivet hole,you need to make a gig,drill a hole in a piece of solid steel,the exzact size if your old rivet,pour liquid lead into the hole,let stand for a minute than pound out,install into weight and trim off some extra to fit and peen over on both ends,the way to trim is w/ a flat file,now you have a rivet heavier than 4.7 grms,and it works killer,get some wheel weights,melt down in old can,pour into your little gig,after you put some oil or spray into it,to help it non stick,now you have a cheap mod that works,thank me later when you spank your buds.

mnmsnowbeast said:
Smokey said:
Went out today now have 250 miles on the sled. It now is going to 11,200 and hitting the rev limiter. Don't think it's the conditions decent hook up on pack fire guard roads. Need to do something to get the revs down a bit. I assume clutch weights ?????
Add some lead in the fron rivet hole,you need to make a gig,drill a hole in a piece of solid steel,the exzact size if your old rivet,pour liquid lead into the hole,let stand for a minute than pound out,install into weight and trim off some extra to fit and peen over on both ends,the way to trim is w/ a flat file,now you have a rivet heavier than 4.7 grms,and it works killer,get some wheel weights,melt down in old can,pour into your little gig,after you put some oil or spray into it,to help it non stick,now you have a cheap mod that works,thank me later when you spank your buds.

Haha, brilliant idea!! I sell wheel weights...I will maybe do this experiment this weekend!!

87gtNOS said:
mnmsnowbeast said:
Smokey said:

Haha, brilliant idea!! I sell wheel weights...I will maybe do this experiment this weekend!!
Yes it workd great i learned this trick from an old yammi tuner,and they have had one of the fastesr srx;s for years.

Back