• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New gearing...stock clutching at sea level

04yamaharx-1

I am quite new to the gearing and clutching you have to do to these mountains to get them to perform at sea level since this is my first mountain, but I was just wondering if changing the gearing alone will be enough to bring the RPM's down to a reasonable level, or is the clutching something that should be done also. If I don't do the clutching, what will be the effects of that with the new gearing at 22/40?

I'm still testing but so far this is where I'm at...set up at 200' above sealeavel.

22-40 gearing..( going to put in a 23t this week)
47/42 helix with my Attak secondary spring...black/wht set at 3-3
low e primary spring
oem weights with 4.5g at tip, 4.5g center and 3.6g at the heel

still overrevs for a couple of seconds (9050) then settles in at 8670
the 47 may be a little steep if you make long hard pulls uphill, maybe a straight 42 or 43 would work fine? But I found the steeper progressive helix tends to hold off the over-rev quicker.

This is not the perfect set-up by anymeans, but I used extra parts the I had in stock. Much better then the recommended low-e set-up, but I'm sure Ulmer will have something that will make you happy, if you are willing to step up to the table.

Thanks, That gives me a good start! I haven't even looked at the clutch weights yet, is that the stock weights on the fx nytro mtx?

Back