• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Advise on changing tune to stock muffler tune

If you want to keep the stock map sensor you can still get the original "R" series tunes.

Hits noticeably harder than maxspool imo. I dont have any experience with original "R" series tunes but had read the maxspool tunes were comparable to those.

TD 270, MAX Spool 16 SM tune currently $649.00 CAD
Hurricane Base 270 SM tune currently $682.50 CAD + Option for super spool (requires map sensor?) $281.40 + MAP sensor (doesn't matter)

So TD=$649.00 and Hurricane = $963.90 !! it better hit a LOT harder :)

Well lets look at it this way. Hurricane baseline stock hp is 188hp so 270hp tune is 82hp gain for $963.90 CAD which is $11.75 per hp . TD baseline stock sidewinder is 212hp so 270hp tune is 58hp gain for $649 CAD which is $11.18 per hp butttttt you dont pay for super spool option from hurricane unless you are upgrading from older bundle. If you buy the map sensor you will get superspool tunes automatically because those are the only tunes Dave offers for 3 or 4 bar sensor so in that case your looking at $682.50 CAD for tune +$154.77CAD for sensor which is $837.27CAD so new $ per hp amount is $10.21 haha...............all said and done, pick your poison. They both turn the 998 into a bundle of absolute goodness. Had around 3500-4000 miles running ms16, all good!

Well lets look at it this way. Hurricane baseline stock hp is 188hp so 270hp tune is 82hp gain for $963.90 CAD which is $11.75 per hp . TD baseline stock sidewinder is 212hp so 270hp tune is 58hp gain for $649 CAD which is $11.18 per hp butttttt you dont pay for super spool option from hurricane unless you are upgrading from older bundle. If you buy the map sensor you will get superspool tunes automatically because those are the only tunes Dave offers for 3 or 4 bar sensor so in that case your looking at $682.50 CAD for tune +$154.77CAD for sensor which is $837.27CAD so new $ per hp amount is $10.21 haha...............all said and done, pick your poison. They both turn the 998 into a bundle of absolute goodness. Had around 3500-4000 miles running ms16, all good!

LOL .. Both Hurricane and TD need help with marketing/website I had a feeling that there really was a way to get to SS by getting the right combination together. All of it could be sitting on one simple page. But PEFI makes them both look good from a marketing perspective. I would rather give my money to Dave to 'buy local' and I think he has actually done a lot of the ground work for all of these companies.

I have the BOV, clutch arms, and GAP CAI sitting here already. No matter which way I go, it will be with closed loop and logging. Don't care about the cluster flash. Anti-lag looks like a lot of fun but not very stealthy.

So, by that math, 240 SS, and MS16 should run pretty close?

So, by that math, 240 SS, and MS16 should run pretty close?
Yes I would say so. I have the hurricane bundle for my riot but havent flashed yet. I had 270ss on my xtx for a while but flashed it back to powertrail when my wife took over riding that sled as I found the ss tune to be quite aggressive on the low-mid and wanted to ease her in to riding a tuned winder. I liked the powertrail pm tune for its reliability and not being too fussy on gas so wanted something similiar for the riot with a stronger, more responsive nature to compliment the fun factor of the riot. I think 240ss should fit the bill. Ill see soon enough.

Yes I would say so. I have the hurricane bundle for my riot but havent flashed yet. I had 270ss on my xtx for a while but flashed it back to powertrail when my wife took over riding that sled as I found the ss tune to be quite aggressive on the low-mid and wanted to ease her in to riding a tuned winder. I liked the powertrail pm tune for its reliability and not being too fussy on gas so wanted something similiar for the riot with a stronger, more responsive nature to compliment the fun factor of the riot. I think 240ss should fit the bill. Ill see soon enough.
Keep me posted. You have the exact sled I’d like to buy next, and it would either get MS16 or 240 SS.

LOL .. Both Hurricane and TD need help with marketing/website I had a feeling that there really was a way to get to SS by getting the right combination together. All of it could be sitting on one simple page. But PEFI makes them both look good from a marketing perspective. I would rather give my money to Dave to 'buy local' and I think he has actually done a lot of the ground work for all of these companies.

I have the BOV, clutch arms, and GAP CAI sitting here already. No matter which way I go, it will be with closed loop and logging. Don't care about the cluster flash. Anti-lag looks like a lot of fun but not very stealthy.
So I got the bundle with map and bov. Dave said I should upgrade to the ss tube though.

So I got the upgrade but are you saying I didn't need it since I had the bundle.

The riot is exactly what the name is, tuned with 240ss pm , i run this 95% of the time and keep the 270ss pm just a finger tip away, the hook up and thrust from the 146" is just addictive in a good way, thanks Dave for the perma grin!

I'm going to debunk your theory. You say the 240hp by Hurricane is the same as the 260hp horse by TD.
Yet the 240 horse by Hurricane only makes 14 PSI and the 260 by TD makes approximately 17 PSI. Please explain.....
Screenshot_20230113-082459_copy_360x402.png

I have not run a boost leak test yet

I have not run a boost leak test yet
And another member was running appx same as you.
So, it's appx 14psi vs 17psi. Something doesn't add up, is all I'm saying.
Let's call it 15psi for arguments sake.
No disrespect meant to anyone.

So I got the bundle with map and bov. Dave said I should upgrade to the ss tube though.

So I got the upgrade but are you saying I didn't need it since I had the bundle.

I am not saying that no.. @justinator was making the math case that Hurricane wasn't so overpriced on a dollars per horsepower ratio, based on the comment I made about Hurricane being quite a bit more expensive.

When you say MAP, you mean map sensor as in 3 bar? If so, Dave is implying that knowing this, you should have gotten the SS tune as well? (as in, additional cost to the base flash)

Which is back to the math that this will cost $9xx.00 not $6xx.00. I am not being picky about cost so much, and I really do want to go with Hurricane because they are local but... if I could get the same thing from TD for 40% less, why not.

It appears that PEFI, TD, and Hurricane have taken slightly different routes to price tunes. PEFI has the most expensive from first glance (dollars/HP), then Hurricane, then TD but if they are not directly comparable then the math simply doesn't work. Again, its not about the dollars for me, but I still don't want to make a dumb decision.

To avoid further confusion I will be trying to call Hurricane today.

Back