• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to me RX1 trying to not be stuck

StillCold

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX-1
Hello all, last week pick up a 2003 Rx-1. I've already gotten it stuck 3 times, and i like to know if there is a track that i can put on it that may make it less of a disaster in deep snow?

A friend of mine has an '04 that I've ridden several times, though all trail riding, that's what got me hooked. The problem would be the trails run behind the house down the road and I have to make it there without tearing up their yards. I've already asked for permission to ride behind their houses but they may decide differently next year if i make a mess of things.

The sled is already outfitted with Ohlins all the way around, 12mm sway bar, and an Apex seat. That's all i can tell as I'm not that educated on snowmobiles. My friends has an M10 under it so nothing looks the same.

So now that I got way off topic. I'm looking for a 121" track, so i don't upset the setup that actually seems to work for my weight pretty good, but will do a little better in deep ~3ft. snow till i make it to the trail.

I've done some reading and it seem like some tracks do better on trail while other do better off. I don't mind giving up a little on trail,I really should slow down a bit anyway, but in the end i need this to work. I know powder riding takes some skill, but i was getting really good at it with my friends 98 formula 3 700 and that isn't that much lighter.

Maybe 1.5" deep?

Why not another question? Any skis that will help keep the front end up but not kill trail riding?

Last edited:

I bought a 2 inch track used it was pretty beat up but gave it a try anyways. I got 2 years out of it for 75 bucks I was ok with that. In the deep it did very well

Im in Maine and we been pounded with snow.I put on an 1 1/4 ice ripper and love that track. have not been stuck this year. The track is a prestudded and is 39 pounds.

Times two on the 1 1/4 ice ripper got stuck twice but was my own fault both times the 1 inch stock track is not very off trail frendley I have no issues in 2 to 3 foot of powder stand up and ride it like a jet ski does very well with the 1 1/4 ice ripper

I live in CNY by Oneida lake so thats good too hear JONG. STRAYCAT is 39lbs. light for a track? Just to have an option to choose from has anyone used the intense 1.5"? I plan on buying a new track just for longevity, I dont think this is something im going to want to do to often by the write up on how to change it.

Thanks all so far.

I live in weedsport so not far from u 2500 miles onvthe track this season and no complants be more than happy to let u take it for a rip sometime just let me know iam on onedia every other weekend and go to tug every tuesday and friday night

39 lbs is lite. Most are well over 40 and then you add the studs.

A 121 is not a good fit for the rx1... Heavy sled, with a very short track under it. Going to bigger lugs won't really help a great deal, it just lets you dig down deeper when you do get stuck! I personally would NEVER replace a 121 track... A rail extensions and put a 1.5 136" under it!

Also, a 136" isn't enough to even be noticeable on the trails, it feels just like a 121, until you get into deeper snow.

That was one of my ideas, however I didn't really want to have to adjust the rear suspension seeming is it is really close at the moment. Also I've heard that it would effect the cooling if the snow isnt very deep. The Tracks USA kits are they strong enough to take some jumps and really hard hits sometimes? The sled does weigh a lot as we all know or atleast thats the leason I've learned.

I ride from Redfield so for skis i have a set of pilot 6.9's on my warrior with apex seat and airwave suspension they work very well in deep snow. And i have a set of Yamaha mountain skis on my attack gt. Both help keeping the front up.

I do belive the 3 of us need to hook up and ride where all so close to each other

That'd be killer as soon as I kick this flu, nice to have more people to ride with. I have to say this short experience on this forum is way better than any other forum I've been. Most often on other forums if you ask a question you get a bunch of flak for not knowing the answers already. Much appreciated the responses I've received, I now have yet another project for the summer.

Muffin works on here makes killer rail and tunnel extensions. When going from 121 to 136 it's not that hard to tweak the auspenaion.

That'd be killer as soon as I kick this flu, nice to have more people to ride with. I have to say this short experience on this forum is way better than any other forum I've been. Most often on other forums if you ask a question you get a bunch of flak for not knowing the answers already. Much appreciated the responses I've received, I now have yet another project for the summer.

I have to agree with you about TY. There are a lot of great people giving very helpful advice every day.

If you can afford it I would 136 it with the ice ripper. I had that on mine for a couple years until a rock took some lugs off for me. I also run the Yamaha mountains keys upfront on my rxwarrior which is a 136. If it is the stock suspension hundred it rides way better is a 136 I found this out when I did it to my 2002 viper which has the same suspension.

Back