• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Wisconsin and Michigan Snowmobile Trail GPS Maps

sledzeppelin

Veteran
I just finished a statewide Michigan map using DNR data and a much more complete Wisconsin map using data people have contributed.

http://www.gpssledmaps.com/maps/

I've had the MI data for quite a while but decided to hold off on using it because the person at the DNR said it wasn't very accurate and that a new version was coming soon. I just found out it'll still be a few months before it's ready, and what I have looks to actually be pretty good, so here it is. I've also added more to what the DNR provides using data that people have uploaded. DNR data is a thick line, user data is a thinner line.

The Wisconsin map is now much more complete than it was last year, but it still doesn't have 100% statewide coverage. It's a really great start though, thanks to Kevin Hafner and MKS, who uploaded data to the site. The user data on this map is the thick line since in this case it's more reliable, and there are also medium and thin lines which are DNR data. The medium line is DNR snowmobile trail data and the thin line is for unclassified trails that may be for snowmobiles or may not be. This data is old and not very accurate, and the thin lines aren't very detailed at all, so take it with a grain of salt.

There are versions for Garmin (with and without Mapsource), Magellan, and Lowrance GPSrs. The Garmin versions are transparent so the trails will show up over your topo maps, if you have them. The Mapsource version will let you choose one of five colors for the trails. I don't have the complete versions with roads, rivers, and lakes at the moment, but will as time allows.

As usual, these maps shouldn't be relied on solely. Always have a current paper map and check out the area before you leave.

Next up is New Hampshire, followed by an updated Minnesota map.

If you have any tracklogs you've recorded and would be willing to contribute, please visit the site and upload it, PM them to me, or e-mail me at ryan@gpssledmaps.com. I recently fixed some problems with the upload section, so it should be easy now.

I appreciate any feedback. If you have any questions on using the maps, post here and I'll be happy to help.

There was a problem with the WI and MI maps I put up the other day, so if you downloaded them before 1:00 Central today, go back and grab them again. The old versions weren't transparent and the new ones are.

Unfortunately I don't think so. At least not right now. I can't find any info on making maps for the Crossover, so I guess the tools just aren't available yet.

I appreciate the maps sledzeppelin...i went out and bought a gps just to use your maps on..I have the standard version of map that came with the unit...what is the topo that everyone is talking about? is there a place to download or purchase it...the only gps i am used to besides this new one was the garmin for my vehicle...i purchased the 76csx...Thanks for any input...

The General

thanks i appreciate the link...I am still trying to figure out how to work this beast...i have a feeling it'll take a little more time...thanks again sledzeppelin...

Back