• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Yamaha vs 2006 Attack vs Ski doo 1200 GSX se

Direct Attack

Veteran
Here is the deal ! I just sold my 06 Attack on Sunday and my 2006 Rs Venture on Monday. I'm looking at either a new Yamaha or the Ski Doo 1200 GSX SE. I want your honest thoughts on which one is best and why ! Heres what I did not like about the Attack. Steering felt to heavy , Also the head lights suck ! My knees always hurt and my shoulders hurt as well when on a 75 to 100 mile ride. I weigh 225 lbs and 5'11" tall. I do ride aggressive 70% of the time. I do a lot of fast logging roads and grades.I do not care about lake riding at all. Handling and comfort are what I'm looking for. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Not sure which Yamaha to look at. Ask me question too ! I do need to make a choice soon on which 2012 to buy !

sled

I've owned Yamahas since 97 and currently own a 2006 Attack and a 2011 Grand Touring SE 1200. I've also riden the new 2011 Apex SE. The Ski Doo is the most comfortable sled I have riden to date. I can honestly say that after a day of riding, I dont feel tired or sore. The steering is light, engine performance is smooth and linear. I like the riding position and the fact that the sled is much lighter makes it easier to handle and control. There really is a big difference in weight and yes it is noticable. The new Yamahas in my opinion are not much better than and don't justify trading in/up. I will be ordering a second Grand Touring SE for 2012.

Re: sled

lawndoctor said:
I've owned Yamahas since 97 and currently own a 2006 Attack and a 2011 Grand Touring SE 1200. I've also riden the new 2011 Apex SE. The Ski Doo is the most comfortable sled I have riden to date. I can honestly say that after a day of riding, I dont feel tired or sore. The steering is light, engine performance is smooth and linear. I like the riding position and the fact that the sled is much lighter makes it easier to handle and control. There really is a big difference in weight and yes it is noticable. The new Yamahas in my opinion are not much better than and don't justify trading in/up. I will be ordering a second Grand Touring SE for 2012.
How do you like the power of the Doo 1200 compared to the attack?

Direct Attak

I don't think you can compare the two, two different animals, well one animal n a child,
I drove the ski doo it doesn't compare to Yamaha in all aspects, quality, reliability, performance and I can go on and on,
Doo's are, well I won't even go there I'll be here all night,
Don't take this the wrong way but if your Attak was set up right it should not feel heavy on the steering,
If your going make the move make the right one,Yamaha..
I ran into a guy who had 56,000k on his apex, how many Doo's would you have to buy to reach that..
They have proven that they are not reliable, there's a reason why you pay more for a Yamaha..

Ho before I forget you won't be riding aggressive with the 1200 Doo unless you put a turbo and who know what will happen then,
I'm saying all this because every year we take a week and head up to northern Ontario or Quebec and our trips always ends up with headaches, no more Doo's in our group..
I was on that side before and never go back..

Apex all the way

Fabio said:
Direct Attak

I don't think you can compare the two, two different animals, well one animal n a child,
I drove the ski doo it doesn't compare to Yamaha in all aspects, quality, reliability, performance and I can go on and on,
Doo's are, well I won't even go there I'll be here all night,
Don't take this the wrong way but if your Attak was set up right it should not feel heavy on the steering,
If your going make the move make the right one,Yamaha..
I ran into a guy who had 56,000k on his apex, how many Doo's would you have to buy to reach that..
They have proven that they are not reliable, there's a reason why you pay more for a Yamaha..

Ho before I forget you won't be riding aggressive with the 1200 Doo unless you put a turbo and who know what will happen then,
I'm saying all this because every year we take a week and head up to northern Ontario or Quebec and our trips always ends up with headaches, no more Doo's in our group..
I was on that side before and never go back..

Apex all the way
For now lets forget doo ! Which new Yamaha can I expect the best handling and ride ? Tell me why you think this ! Money is not the problem either !

Holy brand biased replies. I am very Yamaha biased but would certainly consider the new doo. Maybe not an 800 2 smoke because of reliability, but I have not heard anything but good about the 1200. Read Mike Knapps post a few months back. He had both, sold the APex and now has 2 1200's. He said the Apex felt much faster but in side by side testing it wasn't. I'd give a hard look at the doo and ride them both. Hard to get an unbiased oppinion here. Its too bad because this is by far the best site around. But you'll have a hard time getting a fair shake from most on here. Most have blue blinders on. Yes, I own and ride Yam. Last 10 sleds have been Yam.

Internet forums period are a terrible place to ask these kinds of questions, ride them both see which one YOU like the ride/feel of. Then get on the internet find out pros, cons, maintenance needs, and other misc. information you think you need about each model. Asking flat out across brands on a forum will not go well at all.

BOTH sleds are probably awesome, good luck with your choice.

Almost700 said:
Holy brand biased replies. I am very Yamaha biased but would certainly consider the new doo. Maybe not an 800 2 smoke because of reliability, but I have not heard anything but good about the 1200. Read Mike Knapps post a few months back. He had both, sold the APex and now has 2 1200's. He said the Apex felt much faster but in side by side testing it wasn't. I'd give a hard look at the doo and ride them both. Hard to get an unbiased oppinion here. Its too bad because this is by far the best site around. But you'll have a hard time getting a fair shake from most on here. Most have blue blinders on. Yes, I own and ride Yam. Last 10 sleds have been Yam.
I have OWNED A lot of Yahama products like Yz 80, YZ 125, YZ 250 and YZ 460. ATV's 350 Warrier and 660 Raptor. Currently own a 700 Rhino all tricked out with $9000.00 in after market upgrades. Also own two Yamaha generators. Sleds I have owned. 84 phazer, 96 vmax, 2006 Attack and 2006 Venture. So just to make it clear to everyone I am brand Loyal and have spent a lot of money through the years. I just want honest feed back. I am not try to start any fights or arguments ! ize=18][/size]

Sorry Almost700,

But i have been let down too many times in the past,
i don't like sitting there(on the trail) -30C with parts in my hand..

Why is lighter better?
Is less quality better?
Is less material used better also?
There's a reason why you pay more for a Yamaha..

Direct Attak your best bet is to ride them both and take it from there, at the end of the day you have to be happy with your purchase, nobody else..

rindtj said:
Internet forums period are a terrible place to ask these kinds of questions, ride them both see which one YOU like the ride/feel of. Then get on the internet find out pros, cons, maintenance needs, and other misc. information you think you need about each model. Asking flat out across brands on a forum will not go well at all.

BOTH sleds are probably awesome, good luck with your choice.
I know I will get a lot of different replies ! But this is a forum and I want honest feed back, good or bad. I'm a grown man and can handle it. Also thank you for your reply, I do plan on trying out the doo 1200 but still need to decide which Apex the xtx or the se. I will demo both soon but want feed back.

Fabio said:
Sorry Almost700,

But i have been let down too many times in the past,
i don't like sitting there(on the trail) -30C with parts in my hand..

Why is lighter better?
Is less quality better?
Is less material used better also?
There's a reason why you pay more for a Yamaha..

Direct Attak your best bet is to ride them both and take it from there, at the end of the day you have to be happy with your purchase, nobody else..
Thank you for your honest feed back !

Back