• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ns1 gauges

Back to this gauge again.
I see it does not support turn-by-turn navigation. Not having a GPS on a sled before, is this a big deal?
I compared the NS1 to a stand alone unit and the NS1 seems cheaper in the end.
I emailed the owner, but have yet to get a reply.....

Turn by turn isn't as useful in the woods as it is in a car. Maybe on open fields or lightly wooded areas it is reliable. My experiment last year (multiple apps) showed that the GPS could easily become confused in orientation. e.g. coming up on a 4 way trail intersection, and the gps thought I should go right only to have it change its mind 30 seconds later. e.g. turn right (30 seconds later) make a u-turn

I played around last year with both the Garmin Tread and my homebrew ipad setup. The Tread was great if you had maps for the area. The garmin eco-system of mapping tools is very good.

The ipad was great in its flexibility as it was useful on and off the sled, and it could of course run lots of apps. I would switch between the official OFSC trail map and other mapping solutions (Polaris ride, Avenza, etc.). But, at the end of the day, it isn't as good a mapping tool as the Garmin for a number of reasons.

If I cared more about accurate mapping I would probably choose a garmin, but maybe one of the car models which are significantly cheaper. If I prioritized flexibility and useability I might consider the ipad or NS1. The NS1s big advantage is of course the gauge integration with the sled.

For those of you using an iPad or android tablet or NS1 gauge, you should consider “the next trail” app available in google play or the App Store. It has the maps loaded for the US ( not sure on the status of the Canadian trails). I run it on my iPhone and am looking to go to the iPad setup for this winter. It has the trails and the actual map overlay provided by the clubs. It’s very good and I think the annual subscription is $10/ year.
it also has the atv trails and maps on it as well, so you can use it on your wheeler during the non winter months. I highly recommend it.

For those of you using an iPad or android tablet or NS1 gauge, you should consider “the next trail” app available in google play or the App Store. It has the maps loaded for the US ( not sure on the status of the Canadian trails). I run it on my iPhone and am looking to go to the iPad setup for this winter. It has the trails and the actual map overlay provided by the clubs. It’s very good and I think the annual subscription is $10/ year.
it also has the atv trails and maps on it as well, so you can use it on your wheeler during the non winter months. I highly recommend it.

Currently thenexttrail only has coverage for Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

Incorrect. I’m on the app now and see trails for New York, Vermont, maine, New Hampshire as well.
Canada is not covered. I believe the province associations do a great job of providing their own digitized maps for those regions.

We had some trouble last year on a saddlebag trip in Quebec and I am determined to get some sort of GPS this year to avoid the problem again.
I keep coming back to the NS1 gauge that I would then download GPS trail master's app on it.
For some reason I keep putting the purchase off.
I just bought a 12 gallon tank ($550) and will probably get a SMT 240 tune this year also ($500). The gauge and the GPS app would be another $800.
oh well
Rich, just get the communicator with the flash and run an iPad. Split screen will show you anything the ECU sees and run GPS Trailmaster for navigation. Plus have the option for music. Just make sure you get an iPad that's carrier ready so you have GNSS capability for the GPS signal. Otherwise it will ping too slow to keep up with your movement.

@fatchance

Only cellular capable ipad models have any GPS at all, without the cellular option you only have wifi based estimation which of course does not work outside of a major city and really just doesn't work since it relies on a database of wifi hotspots. You don't need to have the ipad active on a cellular network for the GPS to work, its just the only way to get GPS on an ipad natively. You can of course add external third party GPS to any ipad.

GNSS is just a catch phrase for all GPS systems (GPS, Glonass, Galileo, Beidou, etc).

Just make sure you get an iPad that's carrier ready so you have GNSS capability for the GPS signal. Otherwise it will ping too slow to keep up with your movement.
Only cellular capable ipad models have any GPS at all, without the cellular option you only have wifi based estimation
Isn't that what he stated?

Isn't that what he stated?

Yes, right up until he said "Otherwise it will ping too slow to keep up with your movement." It won't ping or otherwise receive any GPS information at all so I was clarifying the recommendation because to read the above means that you do get GPS coverage on a non-cellular model but that it is just too slow to keep up. The reality is that you won't get any GPS after you leave wifi coverage but it will seem to work at home if you live close enough to one or more of the hotspots in the wifi database. Don't want anyone to make that mistake thinking they have a cheaper, working solution.

Last edited:
Rich, just get the communicator with the flash and run an iPad. Split screen will show you anything the ECU sees and run GPS Trailmaster for navigation. Plus have the option for music. Just make sure you get an iPad that's carrier ready so you have GNSS capability for the GPS signal. Otherwise it will ping too slow to keep up with your movement.
Except now you need to wire in a mount an iPad additionally to your gauge. Ns1 is an android tablet that does all of that plus it’s your gauge and all for about the same price as the ipad.

That said my ns1 is on order and should be here sometime next week

They are currently not taking orders until October.
I tried to put a deposit on one today but it would not let me.

Mine just arrived. Said it was 36 hours per gauge of 3d printing with no errors to make all the pieces. So he may be behind or waiting on displays maybe.

Ok. I ordered my NS 1 gauge last week.
I went to the New Hampshire grass drag event and talked to the owner of GPS Trailmaster's about how buy and to load their maps on to the NS-1.
I was not happy with his answer.
He claims he not 100% sure what " type of files"? NS-1 uses on their gauge. He has been trying to contact the company for a while with no response with increasing levels of frustration. He has removed NS-1 from his website as a compatible device as a result until he can communicate with NS-1.
To say this was disappointing to me is an understatement. I will try to contact NS-1 next week. I may end up cancelling my order if I can't get this resolved or find some definite answers.
A lot of this programing talk is above my head. I just want a system that is easy to install and use. I do not want to use any of the Garmin type GPS units as I find them hard to read. Been there. :o|

Ok. I ordered my NS 1 gauge last week.
I went to the New Hampshire grass drag event and talked to the owner of GPS Trailmaster's about how buy and to load their maps on to the NS-1.
I was not happy with his answer.
He claims he not 100% sure what " type of files"? NS-1 uses on their gauge. He has been trying to contact the company for a while with no response with increasing levels of frustration. He has removed NS-1 from his website as a compatible device as a result until he can communicate with NS-1.
To say this was disappointing to me is an understatement. I will try to contact NS-1 next week. I may end up cancelling my order if I can't get this resolved or find some definite answers.
A lot of this programing talk is above my head. I just want a system that is easy to install and use. I do not want to use any of the Garmin type GPS units as I find them hard to read. Been there. :o|
Hell he always responded to my messages within a few hours and that was just fb messages. It’s a Lenovo tablet so it uses android. Now ability to use your own half screen for whatever you want while other half is still the mph and all that I am not certain. I’ve only just installed mine maybe a month ago. So I was gonna message him once I have sled totally back together and am playing with it while it’s connected with sled running and see how it functions that way. But anything from google play store works as the gauge system is also just a preloaded app on the tablet.

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpeg
    IMG_6867.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 58

Back